A sad year for the mouses

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
For years I've had field mice living between the shed and the gravel board.
They often nip out and raid the bird ground feeder, I don't begrudge them a few mouthful's of grain, besides it keeps them way away from the house.

A couple of days ago, I thought I caught a glimpse of a rat, the first one ever in the decades I've lived here.
As some of you know I worked in all forms and disciplines within pest control, for around 30 years,
I always said they wouldn't bloody dare...
I guess someone has put the word out that I have retired.

Tonight I confirmed the sighting, I went to look at the area, and sure enough they / it had opened up the mouse slit.
The mice would have been killed, and squatter(s) moved in.

The one I spotted was around 6-8 weeks old, but has only just turned up, as I saw the mice a couple or so days ago.
So its not likely to be a family.

Its needs to be killed before it gets a chance to breed. ( anywhere around 8 weeks of age)
The area it's living in, is quite close to where the hedgehogs are,
and if the one ( HH ) I saw mating, has stayed, she is due to drop, in around 7-10 days, and yes it will kill the babies for food,
if it finds them.

I could have sworn that I had a couple of fen traps. But I can't find them.
For now I have professional use only poison in tamper proof boxes,( nothing bigger than a rat can get in. ) in appropriate areas.
(Yes my licences are still valid )

When the traps arrive tomorrow, ( that hurt having to buy some :D ) I can set up "kill tunnels"

I'll get the b*****d(s) one way or another !

Last edited:
I'm sure you know rats are one of the problems of feeding birds in the garden, along with having to clean the car more often if under the flight path. We had one which we caught in a cage trap. Also caught the hedgehog which once released and had got over the shock seemed fine, didn't realise how quick they can move.

I'm sure you know rats are one of the problems of feeding birds in the garden,
They are only here for the beer food...
And dealing with rats, that have another food supply, are very difficult to poison, but I have a few tricks up sleeve, the kill traps,
are the lesser of the "other" evils..

We had a rat in our garden, I happen own a ASA Air Arms .22 cal air rifle so I shot him. He was a real beauty of a rat, wouldn't surprise me if he was a pet that had escaped.

We had a rat problem over lockdown when feeding our visiting Foxes & Badgers ... had a little help from next door!

I assume this is a brown rat? Do any black rat (rattus rattus) populations still survive in the UK? I know rats are a problem but they're interesting.

had a little help from next door!
There is one that I've seen hiding under the laurels near the bird ground feeder, I doubt I'll be that lucky although

I used one like these -
Fen traps are far more efficient, there is a possibility that those type won't kill cleanly,
You can lose fingers with a fen trap.
I always said that when I kill something I want it dead, not tortured.

Do any black rat (rattus rattus) populations still survive in the UK?
Also known as the roof rat they are still prevalent, as the name suggests they mostly live high in the rafters of warehouses, etc. and generally go unnoticed,
as people tend to look for Rats at ground level.

I used to have a rat problem in my last property. My neighbours lived like Steptoe and Son with rubbish piled high all over their garden, so it was no surprise really.

I used to keep their numbers down with my Air Rifles. The best time to get them was at night and I had a night-vision scope for just this purpose - truly the sport of kings. Sod the horses . . .

I used to have a rat problem in my last property. My neighbours lived like Steptoe and Son with rubbish piled high all over their garden, so it was no surprise really.

I used to keep their numbers down with my Air Rifles. The best time to get them was at night and I had a night-vision scope for just this purpose - truly the sport of kings. Sod the horses . . .
Indeed. Peanut butter on something immovable is a good bait for them.

Fen traps are far more efficient, there is a possibility that those type won't kill cleanly,
You can lose fingers with a fen trap.
Fingers! Yes, I gave up using my Fen traps when I decided my dexterity wasn’t up to it. I had some success with a live trap, which has the advantage that you can release unwanted guests.

Yup! Spread high on a brick (under a cover) so that they would reach up for it. Nice big target - goodnight rattus norvegicus. :clap:

They often nip out and raid the bird ground feeder, I don't begrudge them a few mouthful's of grain, besides it keeps them way away from the house.

A couple of days ago, I thought I caught a glimpse of a rat, the first one ever in the decades I've lived here.
As some of you know I worked in all forms and disciplines within pest control, for around 30 years,

Tonight I confirmed the sighting, I went to look at the area, and sure enough they / it had opened up the mouse slit.

The one I spotted was around 6-8 weeks old, but has only just turned up, as I saw the mice a couple or so days ago.

Its needs to be killed before it gets a chance to breed. ( anywhere around 8 weeks of age)
and if the one ( HH ) I saw mating, has stayed, she is due to drop, in around 7-10 days, and yes it will kill the babies for food,
if it finds them.

For now I have professional use only poison in tamper proof boxes,( nothing bigger than a rat can get in. ) in appropriate areas.

When the traps arrive tomorrow, ( that hurt having to buy some :D ) I can set up "kill tunnels"

Generally, I’ve been surprised that all you hedgehog feeders haven’t found that it attract rats — it’s more ‘smelly’ than bird seed and more available at night isn’t it?

We had a rat in our garden, I happen own a ASA Air Arms .22 cal air rifle so I shot him. He was a real beauty of a rat, wouldn't surprise me if he was a pet that had escaped.
Also an Air Arms fan here ;).

Not always, the trick is to feed them what they are used to, but make it more attractive...
Well that is in the home anyway, its illegal to enhance bait commercially.

which has the advantage that you can release unwanted guests.
Like I'm going to do that :LOL:

Generally, I’ve been surprised that all you hedgehog feeders haven’t found that it attract rats
The HHogs eat right next to the house, the rat(s) are at the far end of the garden.
Besides between Hoggy, grumpy and the other 2, its gone pretty much as soon as its put down.
I doubt the rodents get a look in.

We used to regularly get a rat at the back of our garden too, along with mice and shrews. At the time our shed was old and rotten so they could easily get in and would feed on bird seed and nest there.
Now a new shed and everything stored away in airtight plastic boxes there has been no sign of them venturing back in, touch wood. We still see lots of mice and shrews but they stay out in the wild now.

The rat used to be up at the feeders quite regularly, and I had to tell the missus it was a water vole to stop her having a breakdown, but not seen him around for close to a year now. I guess the fact I never saw more than one suggests they weren't breeding, or at least the population is being keep well under control by the foxes we have venturing into the garden most nights.

Not always, the trick is to feed them what they are used to, but make it more attractive...
Well that is in the home anyway, its illegal to enhance bait commercially

Fair point!

Like I'm going to do that :LOL:
I mean release the mice, toads et not the rats, who are ’wanted’ , maybe illegal to release them anyway. If you poke an air gun barrel into the trap they helpfully bite it ;).

The HHogs eat right next to the house, the rat(s) are at the far end of the garden.
Besides between Hoggy, grumpy and the other 2, its gone pretty much as soon as its put down.
I doubt the rodents get a look in.

YMMV but I‘ve had rats (females) in broad daylight on the front drive. On one occasion it was shinning up the metal pole to the bird feeder about 3 feet from French windows (and me!). A spray of WD40 on the pole fixed that.

maybe illegal to release them anyway.
Just the none indigenous species such as Squirrels, curiously. Glis Glis are non indigenous, but are protected, they can be trapped and killed under licence.
DEFRA in their infinite wisdom "protected" Dormice.
Instead of specifying hazel dormice, they just said "Dormice" and as you may know Glis Glis are indeed AKA edible Dormice,
and yet they are twice as destructive than squirrels.

I‘ve had rats (females) in broad daylight on the front drive.
Oh indeed they are quite brazen, and do feed at anytime of day or night.
Its something they have learned over the years, due to environmental factors, not least street lights at night,
and people throwing food at them, from take-away's, rather than bin it, it just goes out the car window :(

A spray of WD40 on the pole fixed that.
Did it stop them squeaking?

:coat:

Fair point!
Also to be fair, when people ask me how to, as I don't know their actual situation,I advise peanut butter or nutella spread thinly on the tread plate.
As I know exactly what's happening its going to be bird seed mixed with sugar.
With the ground feed removed.
And as Pigeons quickly clear up any spillages, from the hanging feeders there won't be any other loose grain laying around.

Two tables set along with a wine menu and chef's today's special.
Now I just have to wait for them to get over the neophobia aspect..

We've been fortunate here. I have bird feeders out, I feed a fox on a nightly basis and we live within 200m of a river and not once ever have I seen any signs of rats at home. (I've done it now :LOL:). They are definately on the river, I often walk the dog along it and I get the tell tale smell of rats, it's a bit like the way natural gas smells.

I'm sorry to hear your news Chris but I have little doubt you'll nail him, pesky little critter. I have a feeling its days are numbered. :clap:

I'm sorry to hear your news Chris but I have little doubt you'll nail him, pesky little critter. I have a feeling its days are numbered. :clap:
Cheers Dale, and yes its a dead rat walking.

food and water is the problem no food and water no rats.

I had rats two years ago. stopped feeding and watering the birds and they moved on.
rats are everywhere. They will go where ever the grass is greener.
I have had no trouble since although I am feeding the birds again.
A local cat came and took up watch to help out.

TA3X4588crop.JPG

.TA3X4567z.JPG

Before dark, I blocked off both ends of the trap, I know the hedgehogs can't get in there, anyway,
but just for piece of mind and all that.

But I continued with the pre-bating to keep the rat interested,
one of the pre-baits consisted bird seed rolled in peanut butter.

I saw movement down that end as dusk fell, yep. it was a hedgehog chowing down on the "pellets" :D

What most people don't realise rats need 3 things to survive, and they will travel several 100 yards, to and from water & food.
If there is harborage they will stay.

I had rats two years ago. stopped feeding and watering the birds and they moved on.
rats are everywhere. They will go where ever the grass is greener.
I have had no trouble since although I am feeding the birds again.
A local cat came and took up watch to help out.

View attachment 353659

Terry
I like the old shoe anvil.
David

if it finds them.

Chris

No doubt you will get your target.
David

Just the one Chris?- I doubt that very much buddy :(
As above Les, that is the first in decades of living here,
I've only seen the one, its around 8 weeks old and I guess its setting up a territory.

As above Les, that is the first in decades of living here,
I've only seen the one, its around 8 weeks old and I guess its setting up a territory.
In my experience in my Gamekeeper role - you never ever have just one- it will breed no doubt- I do hope you knock this on the head asap Chris

The brown rat can breed throughout the year if conditions are suitable, with a female producing up to five litters a year. The gestation period is only 21 days, and litters can number up to 14, although seven is common. They reach sexual maturity in about five weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience in my Gamekeeper role - you never ever have just one- it will breed no doubt- I do hope you knock this on the head asap Chris

The brown rat can breed throughout the year if conditions are suitable, with a female producing up to five litters a year. The gestation period is only 21 days, and litters can number up to 14, although seven is common. They reach sexual maturity in about five weeks.
Les, in my roll of pest control tech, in over 30 years, killing rats ( and just about every other legal species) in a wide variety of environments, I have a pretty damned good idea on their social & behavioral patterns.

In my initial roll of breeding 10,000's of rats ( and mice) ( where by I studied for and attained my degree in animal behaviour) for medical research,

I am fully aware of the breeding data including the fact that they will mate on Post partum oestrus. However I've never known a rat to breed at 5 weeks old.
No matter what google or anything else says.

Les, in my roll of pest control tech, in over 30 years, killing rats ( and just about every other legal species) in a wide variety of environments, I have a pretty damned good idea on their social & behavioral patterns.

In my initial roll of breeding 10,000's of rats ( and mice) ( where by I studied for and attained my degree in animal behaviour) for medical research,

I am fully aware of the breeding data including the fact that they will mate on Post partum oestrus. However I've never known a rat to breed at 5 weeks old.
No matter what google or anything else says.
I cannot argue with that :)

Not that I wanted too- I just know how fast they multiplied in Pheasant runs is all- By the way, I'm not trying to teach anyone to "Suck Eggs"

Good luck anyhow

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back