A selection, since I've been gone some time...

Name
sam
Edit My Images
Yes
As the subject suggests, I've not been online much for teh past few years - this is probabaly to do with a small person running around under my feet most of the time!

In the past I have always found feedback from fellow photographers on here very usful and I hope to join back in the fun...

So, here a few from the past couple of years, when I have managed to get out with my camera and not build sand castles instead (although that is great fun and, if I do say so myself, I'm pretty darn good at it too!)

Glen Etive Weather by pottering around, on Flickr

Cairngorm Corries by pottering around, on Flickr

Autumn Moment by pottering around, on Flickr

Loch Laggan Twilight by pottering around, on Flickr

Tyningham Beach by pottering around, on Flickr

Lindisfarne curve by pottering around, on Flickr

What a terrific set of photos. My favourite is the top one but they are all great.

I really must try some portrait aspect landscapes, when done well they are really good

As Andrew said, a terrific set. The one that catches my eye though is the Loch Laggan twilight image. I think the blues tones are great.

That's a good set there.
It's a shame that you've not been able to get out as much, but you should.
Having small people does mean you have less free time to do as you please, but ultimately it's good for a parent to take time for themselves away from the kids, even if only for an afternoon or a day. So even if you can't get out as often, you should certainly try to get out a couple of times a month. Give your other half a day to themselves and then you have a day to yourself, works brilliantly, especially if you get to enjoy the beautiful landscapes around you and do something you enjoy.
Keep it up.

Hi Sam
I love the sense of scale most of these portray, particularly No2, with the walkers in the corries. No3 is great the way the surrounding darker heather and conifers make that little rusty golden deciduous tree pop. No 4 very nice graduated blue tones in the sky and the composition and light especially in the clouds is excellent in No5
Great set Sam! Don't be a stranger! Lovely work.....
Oh and btw enjoy your little person while you can, they grow up before you can blink and don't worry they just keep getting more expensive:) baby clothes, school, uni, car, leave home, bale me out Dad, lend me your tools Dad, help me rewire and decorate Dad, now it's Grumpy grandad can you have the kids this weekend Dad! It's turned full circle.... But seriously enjoy mate!;)

Thanks very much for all you comments!

Having a four year old now seems like more work than a baby, but I would say more fun. the whole fatherhood thing is great fun, so much so that I relunctantly leave for a weekend away sometimes. However, photography is a process : long term development and introspective review, probably requiring a bit of solitude. Plus my Wife goes spare whn I say I'm just going to stop for a minute to capture a hot. Then do the same 10 minutes later :)

I'm looking forward to the lighter evenings so that I can get out after work at least. Spring is coming!

Plus my Wife goes spare whn I say I'm just going to stop for a minute to capture a hot. Then do the same 10 minutes later :)
Ha ha, I get this all the time. And I get the kids saying I love my computer because I spend lots of time editing on it. But I don't hide away and do it, I'm in the kitchen, so I'm always there, or I do it after they've gone to bed.
You do have to have interests other than your kids (and wife) otherwise you lose yourself and just become an automaton.
I'm finding it easier now the kids are at school, as I get some time during the day to get the camera out, but that's due to my particular work pattern.
I only got properly back into photography after the kids were born because I was dissatisfied with the photos of them from my bridge camera, so I bought a second hand DSLR and the rest is history. So they only have themselves to blame :LOL:

Last edited:
Bounced right back after the absence with some top drawer images.
I love the view down the Glen and the golden tree in the Autumn image.
Got to agree with what's been said earlier, keep the high quality momentum going!

Hi Sam
I love the sense of scale most of these portray, particularly No2, with the walkers in the corries. No3 is great the way the surrounding darker heather and conifers make that little rusty golden deciduous tree pop. No 4 very nice graduated blue tones in the sky and the composition and light especially in the clouds is excellent in No5
Great set Sam! Don't be a stranger! Lovely work.....
Oh and btw enjoy your little person while you can, they grow up before you can blink and don't worry they just keep getting more expensive:) baby clothes, school, uni, car, leave home, bale me out Dad, lend me your tools Dad, help me rewire and decorate Dad, now it's Grumpy grandad can you have the kids this weekend Dad! It's turned full circle.... But seriously enjoy mate!;)

You're telling they more expensive?!? This may affect my camera / lens buying fetish then? :(

Ha ha, I get this all the time. And I get the kids saying I love my computer because I spend lots of time editing on it. But I don't hide away and do it, I'm in the kitchen, so I'm always there, or I do it after they've gone to bed.
You do have to have interests other than your kids (and wife) otherwise you lose yourself and just become an automaton.
I'm finding it easier now the kids are at school, as I get some time during the day to get the camera out, but that's due to my particular work pattern.
I only got properly back into photography after the kids were born because I was dissatisfied with the photos of them from my bridge camera, so I bought a second hand DSLR and the rest is history. So they only have themselves to blame :LOL:

I too am driven to photography, inpart because of family. It's the rare moments of peace and quiet while making images that I enjoy. It also makes going home all better too!

You're telling they more expensive?!? This may affect my camera / lens buying fetish then? :(
You just have to buy the stuff now, invest in good glass that will last, before they reach their teens and start wanting expensive stuff like music/driving lessons or university fees ;)

Really nice set of images Sam, with #2 & #4 being my fav's.(y)

George.

Not sure on the processing but some nice thought out compositions.

Back