A Shot Drop Shot

I'm sat here with my mouth open !

quite simply phenomenal
Ha! Glad you liked it, David! There will be more to come, so stop back to see what else has been blasted.

Here's something a little different:

-
zzzzzzzzz.jpg

Can you do better then?

Thought not.
Thanks for defending my photos, Ploddles.

I think what Jamestphoto is commenting on is the photographic elements of the images which, I agree, could be improved upon. These experiments were an exercise in physics, mathematical computations, engineering, and programming of timing devices to capture a complex, hi-speed event and are intended to be viewed as such.

The images are a way of recording the events and are not intended to be high quality images. They were shot in jpeg with simple lighting and no attention was given to artistic content. Engineering the timing sequences was difficult enough without adding an artistic component.

As I have somewhat now mastered the technique of capturing complex, hi-speed events with acceptable repeatability, I turn will turn my attention to improving the photographic elements.

I appreciate your taking time to comment on my behalf.

:clap: just blown me away how good these are.

well done and thanks for sharing

Sam

Only two words come to mind.......... friggin brilliant. keep it up.

Damn! I'm gonna have to try this. I just bought an air rifle off a mate so now I have something useful(ish!) to use it for. I will be reading your thread on how its done with interest. Thanks for the inspiration :)
Give it a go, snapy! My advice is to start simple and try shooting stationary targets to learn the technique.

I'll be happy to help you along with any questions you have.

Here's my set-up for whacking a tomato with a golf club:

-

Two sets of infrared sensors detect the club shaft as it passes. The intervolometer calculates the club speed and fires the strobe after a pre-programmed delay
_DSC0004-9.jpg

WHACK! Instant tomato sauce!

DSC_0198.jpg

Thanks to all who have taken time to comment. I really appreciate your acknowledging my efforts.

Here's one of the first hi-speed images I did. I was surprised that the egg expanded out of the frame!

-
pelletegg-1.jpg

-
pelletmeetsegg-1.jpg

Absolutely amazing!

I've been trying to get around to attempting some "shot things" type images for a while and this really inspires me.

I think I probably have a long path to travel to get this good, but hey, it certainly throws down the gauntlet.

Love it! (y)

Love these shots. It's a fascinating subject and excellent photography.

Is there any chance you could take a photograph of your set up yo help put your comments into perspective that would be very helpful.

Many thanks,

Nick

I'm sat here with my mouth open !

quite simply phenomenal

My sentiments exactly! I won't write my actual reaction because I'll get banned :LOL: But the clean version is "Holy cow!"

Awesome stuff. I don't care how much technology goes into it. It's still breathtaking.

These are brilliant.

I dread to think the hours you have spent getting to where you are now! What is your next step and where do you hope this will take you?

Andy
Thanks for taking time to comment, Andy.

I continue to experiment with hi-speed imaging with some new projects in development. I am experimenting with cryogenically freezing objects to -321 F with liquid nitrogen then blasting them with a pellet.

My first experiment was with tea roses. Was making great progress until the liquid nitrogen boiled off as it boils at room temps and is quickly gone. The experiments will continue.

Here's a shot from first efforts. I can see that with a bit of adjustment the results will be quite dramatic.

DSC_0011-4.jpg

-
DSC_0013-4.jpg

Love these shots. It's a fascinating subject and excellent photography.

Is there any chance you could take a photograph of your set up yo help put your comments into perspective that would be very helpful.

Many thanks,

Nick
Thanks, Nick.

If you are interested in the process, a description along with many images of the set-up may be found in my thread on the NikonCafe forum. The thread is over 60 pages and very detailed. If you register there and view the thread I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Here is a link to the thread: "Shooting Water Drops...With a Gun"

Pellet can be seen as it starts to penetrate water balloon.

-
_DSC4728.jpg

-
Pellet is completely inside balloon as as shock wave expands

-
7.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know of a photo magazine published in Germany called FotoHits? They want to publish one of my shots and I'd like to know something about them but I don't speak/read German.

Pellet can be seen as it starts to penetrate water balloon.

-
_DSC4728.jpg

-
Pellet is completely inside balloon as as shock wave expands

-
7.jpg

Saw number 1, liked it, saw number 2, was like :eek: and then scrolled down hoping to see the next stage...!?

Love the two shots, just wished there was a what happened next to the balloon.

Saw number 1, liked it, saw number 2, was like :eek: and then scrolled down hoping to see the next stage...!?

Love the two shots, just wished there was a what happened next to the balloon.
The way to keep a thread alive is to always leave them wanting more!

Here's a better sequence that you may find satisfying.

-
1-3.jpg

-
2-3.jpg

-
_DSC0014-2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! What amazing shots. I wouldnt have thought it was possible.Well done
I've been accused of photoshopping my images by some who don't believe they are possible. My response is always that if they are photoshopped, I would have to be the most fantastic photoshopper in the Universe; a feat more incredible than what the images purport to show.

The fact is, these were all shot in jpeg with no post-processing except for sharpening and cropping.

Thanks for taking time to post, Sue. Your kind comments are appreciated and make my efforts worthwhile.

:clap:

Stunning shots and I'm guessing (at least after all the hard work of setting up the shot) great fun shooting stuff to bits.

Thanks for posting. I think I will stop myself from reading the main post on the other forum until after Christmas as I have a feeling I will want to have a go!!!

P.S. Did you work with CSI:Miami on their opening credits?! :D

Thanks, Gary. You're correct; it is great fun blasting stuff. The challenge of engineering a set-up is very satisfying when the image is captured as envisioned.

I am expecting delivery of an external shutter capable of 80,000ths second shutter speed which will greatly expand the possibilities.

I am currently experimenting with a set-up to capture two pellets colliding at 90 degrees.

Here's the set-up being adjusted for aim:

_DSC0009-2.jpg

-
_DSC0013.jpg

-
_DSC0016-2.jpg

Back