A Shot Drop Shot

Edit My Images
No
This shooting water drops is tricky business!

DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

:eek:

How the heck did you do that??? It's brilliant by the way!

Are you freezing that airgun pellet with normal flash? I suspect you're using something a little more exotic as I don't think a normal speedlight would have such a short duration.

Edit: great captures by the way.

Last edited:
Are you freezing that airgun pellet with normal flash? I suspect you're using something a little more exotic as I don't think a normal speedlight would have such a short duration.

Edit: great captures by the way.
1 Nikon SB900 fired at 1/128 power
(38,500ths/sec)

-
Here's a missed shot in wide angle from earlier experiments.

DSC_0023-1.jpg

Amazing shots.

I'm being thick I guess, but I can't imagine how you achieve this.

Is it just a dripping tap and a good shot? How do you release the shutter at just the right moment?

What's the pellet/hit ratio?

Amazing shots.

I'm being thick I guess, but I can't imagine how you achieve this.

Is it just a dripping tap and a good shot? How do you release the shutter at just the right moment?

What's the pellet/hit ratio?
The whole event happens in mere milliseconds and is much too fast to be captured without being precisely controlled.

I use a water valve activated by a 12vDC solenoid. The gun is hard mounted and pre-aimed at the point I have calculated the drop to be at a precise time. The trigger is pulled by a 24vDC solenoid through a 12vDC relay activated by a pre-programmed intervolometer.

The camera shutter is set to 'bulb' and opened prior to drop release and closed after the shot is complete. The image is captured with the flash, not the shutter.

After careful, precise calculations and adjustments, the shot/hit ratio is near 100%.

Here's a precisely controlled sequence of shooting a rebounding water drop.
Purple dye was added to the drop water to provide a target. Of course, these are 6 separate shots/drops and show the repeatability of the technique:

-
DSC_0213.jpg

-
DSC_0216.jpg

-
DSC_0242.jpg

-
DSC_0215.jpg

-
DSC_0223.jpg

-
DSC_0221.jpg

Last edited:
The whole event happens in mere milliseconds and is much too fast to be captured without being precisely controlled.

I use a water valve activated by a 12vDC solenoid. The gun is hard mounted and pre-aimed at the point I have calculated the drop to be at a precise time. The trigger is pulled by a 24vDC solenoid through a 12vDC relay activated by a pre-programmed intervolometer.

The camera shutter is set to 'bulb' and opened prior to drop release and closed after the shot is complete. The image is captured with the flash, not the shutter.

After careful, precise calculations and adjustments, the shot/hit ratio is near 100%.

Wow! Many thanks for the explanation, as someone who shoots with both cameras and guns, and has a good knowledge of industrial automation, I still couldn't think how you achieved it. :clap:

Wow! Many thanks for the explanation, as someone who shoots with both cameras and guns, and has a good knowledge of industrial automation, I still couldn't think how you achieved it. :clap:
There is more to it than what I described. The timing components are comprised of two intervolometers, 2 infrared photo gates, a valve solenoid, a trigger solenoid, and a relay. All have to be in perfect sync along with the strobe and camera for the shot to work.

A complete step-by-step description of my technique is available if you are interested.

Being a gun enthusiast, you might appreciate these shots with the camera mounted above the gun barrel and the pellet traveling away from the viewer:

DSC_0424-2.jpg

-
DSC_0430-1.jpg

Those really are exceptional!!!

I have to admit to not understanding all the technical aspects, but I don't think I need to understand it to appreciate the end result. For me the ones with the camera mounted above the barrel have the most impact, although they're all stunning in their own way.

If I had any critique to offer, it would be that I'd like to see you experiment with some more artistic and dramatic backgrounds. Beyond that I think you have the technique down perfectly and there's nothing more that I can add.

Those really are exceptional!!!

If I had any critique to offer, it would be that I'd like to see you experiment with some more artistic and dramatic backgrounds. Beyond that I think you have the technique down perfectly and there's nothing more that I can add.
Thanks for your comment, SL

As for your critique, of which others have said the same, I agree that they could be a bit more artistic as far as photo images. However, these were more an experiment in physics, mathematical computations, and engineering than a photographic exercise. The images were a means of recording the event.

That being said, I will offer a few I did to please those such as yourself who posses more refined artistic sensibilities than I.

By the way, I love your cherry cheesecakes!

-
DSC_0050.jpg

-
DSC_0186-2.jpg

-
DSC_0187.jpg

-
DSC_0179-1.jpg

those just totally made my evening

thank you..!!

those just totally made my evening

thank you..!!
Thank you so much! Comments like yours make the effort worthwhile. I do appreciate your taking time to comment.

Here's one just for you! Gives a whole new meaning to "hand held photo"!

-
full.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment, SL

As for your critique, of which others have said the same, I agree that they could be a bit more artistic as far as photo images. However, these were more an experiment in physics, mathematical computations, and engineering than a photographic exercise. The images were a means of recording the event.

That being said, I will offer a few I did to please those such as yourself who posses more refined artistic sensibilities than I.

By the way, I love your cherry cheesecakes!

-

:notworthy: Now those really are amazing !!!
Technically still brilliant, but a pleasure to look at too.

And if my cherry cheesecakes are inspiring this sort of work, there are some virtual ones on their way down the phone line to you :LOL:

Thank you so much! Comments like yours make the effort worthwhile. I do appreciate your taking time to comment.

-
full.jpg

Blimey, how much more stunning are your shots going to get? That is truly inspirational.

...and you get the cakes!:D

Single water drops are easy to photograph
-
DSC_0016.jpg

Double drop collisions are a little more difficult
-
DSC_0095.jpg

Hand holding a double drop collision requires super-human iron-willed concentration
-
DSC_0128.jpg

-
That's magical......(y)

Thanks, Slap. I've seen you on the NikonCafe forum where I have a huge, 65 page thread on hi-speed ballistic photography. Perhaps you've seen it?

A link please

There is more to it than what I described. The timing components are comprised of two intervolometers, 2 infrared photo gates, a valve solenoid, a trigger solenoid, and a relay. All have to be in perfect sync along with the strobe and camera for the shot to work.

A complete step-by-step description of my technique is available if you are interested.

Being a gun enthusiast, you might appreciate these shots with the camera mounted above the gun barrel and the pellet traveling away from the viewer:

DSC_0424-2.jpg

-
DSC_0430-1.jpg

I am very interested

Regards

Mike

A link please

I am very interested

Regards

Mike
OK Mike. I have a long running thread on the NikonCafe forum that describes the whole process in great detail and includes many, many hi-speed images. I'm not sure if you have to register to view it but the forum is worth joining.

My thread is now 60 pages with over 20,000 views so there must be something of interest there. It includes other hi-speed experiments like shooting milk-filled balloons, lit light bulbs, and shooting stuff that has been frozen in liquid nitrogen.

Have a look and please post a comment so I can answer any questions you may have.

Here is a sample of a milk-filled balloon being shot.

The link to my thread on NikonCafe.com is:

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=275962

-
DSC_0001-3.jpg

-
DSC_0002-2.jpg

Thanks for the link - I found it yesterday and have bookmarked it - after about an hours reading and only getting less than halfway through - It is a facinating read and all power to your elbow - well done and thanks for your fantastic efforts.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for the link - I found it yesterday and have bookmarked it - after about an hours reading and only getting less than halfway through - It is a facinating read and all power to your elbow - well done and thanks for your fantastic efforts.

Regards

Mike
Thanks for looking and the kind comment, Mike. Perhaps when you next visit the thread you could make a post and bump the thread to the top of the page?

The thread began as a response to a friend in Australia who bet $50 that I could not shoot a water drop with a gun. After I mastered that, I was having so much fun that the thread kept growing with more experiments and is now at 60 pages! There is much more than water drop shots, as you have seen. I'm gearing up for more experiments and expect to keep that thread alive as long as there are viewers.

BTW, I viewed your Flickr page and must say that your wildlife photo skills are extraordinary. Well done!

Last edited:
Back