A Skye sunrise

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Not much wrong there tbh. It's a great image. My feeling is that the foreground isn't doing enough for me and the longer more open view of Trottenish ridge is what I'd go for.

In saying that it's a new take whereas I proposed the shot everyone else would take

Lovely. I think the foreground could do with something but great shot nonetheless. Weirdly, my first thought was 'horizon's crazy skewiff' but on closer inspection it's just the clouds combined with the unusual shapes of the hills and it's actually bang on.

Thanks folks :)

@ST4 I hear you on the foreground....this is actually cropped to a 5x7 (IIRC) too to lose as much as the foreground as I could (I shot FAR too low) but I didn't want to crop more as it lost a bit off the right hand side where the land drops off. An unconstrained crop then became too close to a square crop that I really didn't like. It was a rushed composition as it was taken on my last Skye workshop in March when I was keeping an eye on my clients.

Reactions: ST4
Stunning capture, magical place somewhere I'd love to go back to, very envious of people living in "The North" (y)

For a second I thought someone may have chopped that little tree down.. Nice take with the light on the ridge.

Signed Martin Steele!

A stunning vista Martin, the early morning light is beautiful and you've captured it well.

Love it. I would be pants at landsacpe but this is really nice. The tones hues and composition all look spot on for me.

Gaz

Foreground appears little lost, but mountain ridges distance scene and sky make up for it does the far right peak have snow in it or is it my eyes.
Overall very good image.
GEORGE.

Lovely atmosphere. The foreground follows a golden spiral. Was this a deliberate choice ?

Foreground appears little lost, but mountain ridges distance scene and sky make up for it does the far right peak have snow in it or is it my eyes.
Overall very good image.
GEORGE.

Yeah there's a wee bit of snow about :)

Something about it makes me want to fall over, is it straight?

Yep, it's straight.

Lovely atmosphere. The foreground follows a golden spiral. Was this a deliberate choice ?

The composition was deliberate, yeah :)

Thank you folks :)

very nice, although I would have loved to have seen this shot a little wider. a good panoramic that would have made.

very nice, although I would have loved to have seen this shot a little wider. a good panoramic that would have made.

Wider as in landscape orientation? I chose to shoot in portrait to keep the sun out of shot, it was getting to the stage where it wasn't really a great move to put in the frame exposure-wise, and to the right, there was too much dead space in the foreground due to where I was positioned....that and I had clients to look after, so it was just a quick grabshot from where i'd set the tripod up earlier in anticipation :)

Wider as in landscape orientation? I chose to shoot in portrait to keep the sun out of shot, it was getting to the stage where it wasn't really a great move to put in the frame exposure-wise, and to the right, there was too much dead space in the foreground due to where I was positioned....that and I had clients to look after, so it was just a quick grabshot from where i'd set the tripod up earlier in anticipation :)

Ah that's understandable, great shot though.

Back