A Small and Unimportant Quandray

^^^ Oh I see, its quite pronounced isn't it.

Looking at Ffordes website they have a Pentax 67 with polaroid back for what seems to be a reasonable price. Am I right in assuming that the polaroid back can be removed and the origianl back replaced?

Yes, but since it was never designed as a modular back camera, getting a spare back might be tricky. Ring up repairers and people who service Pentax, like Harrow Technical, and speak to them about obtaining a back before proceeding.

Yes, but since it was never designed as a modular back camera, getting a spare back might be tricky. Ring up repairers and people who service Pentax, like Harrow Technical, and speak to them about obtaining a back before proceeding.

Ok, makes sense, thanks mate. Still not decided yet which to go for but no rush as I won't have the cash until March.

Another camera that has come into the mix is the Voigtlander Bessa II. I know its a bit older and in some respects fairly simple but the images I've seen from it are very nice, the price is well within budget and its compact and light.
Anyone got any hands on experience of these lovely old folders?

Cheers

Andy

ive used a 6x9 ensign that broke the shutter partway through a roll (had previously repaired it) and ive used a agfa 6x6, they fit in a jeans pocket, really charming, not too heavy, fairly slow to use depending on model
not had any film from them deved yet :x

I've got a bit of a thing for Voigtlanders, I've had quite a few and they have all been really nice to use even the little Vito B 35mm so I'm a bit tempted.

The more I look at this the more I'm being drawn toward the Bronica GS-1. It has just the right mix of price, weight and image quality and it seems to be pretty adaptable being a modular system.

If the GS-1 is less common than the SQ and ETRS, does that mean that lenses and accesories will also be harder to come by, and perhaps more expensive? (It does look like quite a nice beast!)

I think I would look for a SQ rather than a GS.

In fact, that's exactly what I was doing until I found my S2.

Steve.

If the GS-1 is less common than the SQ and ETRS, does that mean that lenses and accesories will also be harder to come by, and perhaps more expensive? (It does look like quite a nice beast!)

Basically, yes. There is a staggering amount of secondhand ETRS stuff on the market!

But the sq is 6 x 6, been there, done that, now want rectangular negs. It is a bit rarer than other Bronnys but there are still a good few lenses and accessories out there, Ffordes have a reasonable selection.

Andy

I have a friend who used to be a photographer for The Times. He used to consider his Hasselblad to be rectangular format. His reasoning was that it was more often than not going to be cropped to a rectangle, With 6x6 you can compose for the rectangle without the need to rotate the camera by ninety degrees.

(I have been known to rotate a 6x6 folder to get a better composition!)

Steve.

I have a friend who used to be a photographer for The Times. He used to consider his Hasselblad to be rectangular format. His reasoning was that it was more often than not going to be cropped to a rectangle, With 6x6 you can compose for the rectangle without the need to rotate the camera by ninety degrees.

(I have been known to rotate a 6x6 folder to get a better composition!)

Steve.

I understand, but I see landscapes in a rectangular way and as much as I love a square I don't seem able to compose properly in that format. Different thing for portraits mind, I think square works much better.

I understand, but I see landscapes in a rectangular way and as much as I love a square I don't seem able to compose properly in that format. Different thing for portraits mind, I think square works much better.

Rectangle is more natural from paintings to tv sets (of course there are exceptions)...and doesn't your eyes see rectangle for peripheral vision i.e. you see more out of the corner of your eyes horizontally than vertically....mind you I could be wrong medically.

I've always thought that you were wrong medically Brian...:D

The gf670 is a fantastic looking camera and if it was half the price then I would definitely be having one.

The gf670 is a fantastic looking camera and if it was half the price then I would definitely be having one.
Time to sell that other kidney?

:D

When testing my new 150mm lens for the ETRS I was reminded that with the speed grip you have a hot shoe for all the old cheap flashguns (not much chance of red eye with the flash away from the lens)...it's a point if you are using a MF camera for flash shots, as on my RB67 I have a cheap "L" shape bracket grip to hold the flash gun vertically but still have the bother of a lead from the lens to the flashgun.

Paid a visit to Real Camera on Saturday and they didn't have a gs-1, not surprised they are quite rare, they did have a Pentax 6x7 though. Very nice kit but as heavy as Nicks wallet....humongously weighty.
After a fairly long discussion with everyone in the shop, including a couple of customers, the conclusion is that the gs-1 would fulfil the brief. So just need to decide what to do as I really don't want to use evil-bay and Ffordes have three for sale.
I shall have to give it some thought and give Ffordes a ring tomorrow.

Paid a visit to Real Camera on Saturday and they didn't have a gs-1, not surprised they are quite rare, they did have a Pentax 6x7 though. Very nice kit but as heavy as Nicks wallet....humongously weighty.
After a fairly long discussion with everyone in the shop, including a couple of customers, the conclusion is that the gs-1 would fulfil the brief. So just need to decide what to do as I really don't want to use evil-bay and Ffordes have three for sale.
I shall have to give it some thought and give Ffordes a ring tomorrow.

You could probably find something cheaper than this, but this kit is available now and has all the trimmings: GS-1 body with 65mm lens, 100mm lens, WLF, prism finder, and spare back.

http://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/m...rism, Spare Back and Zenzanon-PG 65mm F4 Lens

That my friend is just about perfect, given the amount of kit I consider that a very fair price. Just have to hope its still there in 5 weeks when I get the bonus.

Well now, it has been discussed with the current (and at this rate very likely to stay current for a good while) Mrs Snap and we are going to head over to that Leeds on Saturday and if the Bronny is all it appears I shall be all 6x7'd up.
I spoke to a very helpful chap at Dale and he assures me that apart from a little paint loss around the winding handle it is in exceptionally good nick, I really do get ridiculously excited over new cameras....:banana:

Hello Mrs Wife :wave: Thank you :kiss:

Reactions: Jao
You could probably find something cheaper than this, but this kit is available now and has all the trimmings: GS-1 body with 65mm lens, 100mm lens, WLF, prism finder, and spare back.

http://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/DalePhotographicOnline/_c6483/142536/c6483 Used Zenza Bronica GS-1 Camera With PG 100mm f3.5 lens, Prism, Spare Back and Zenzanon-PG 65mm F4 Lens

That looks like a nice camera, probably a bigger ETRS......but there must have been a reason why I bought the RB67 instead about 27 years ago :thinking: nope can't think that far back :(

Its actually quite a neat camera, fits in the palm of the hand and weighs about the same as my d7100.

Back