A Softbox for 70p

Les McLean

In Memoriam
Name
Les
Edit My Images
Yes
A while ago, I remember reading an article where an enterprising photographer made an entire studio lighting setup using washing up bowls, sticky back plastic, muslin and glue (get down Shep)

I thought to myself 'I can do that'

But not so ambitious, I decided to make a cheap softbox for my Canon 430EX flash.

Here goes :)

Take one small cheap plastic washing up bowl

s1.jpg

Paint the insides using a normal white gloss paint (it took three coats)

Using the flash head (front) as a template, cut out a hole in the bottom of the bowl, and cover the opening with white cloth (I used some cloth from an old light-tent)

s2.jpg

I made the hole a 'snug fit' so the flash head would slot in without any support.

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

Simple as that, on testing the set-up I tried it against the bare flash, flash + stofen omnibounce , flash + softbox

flash on it's own (flash to left of subject)

s6.jpg

Flash + Stofen

s7.jpg

Flash + homemade softbox

s8.jpg

As you can see, the softbox provides a nice soft (look at the shadows) diffused light.

Since making this, I have also made a similar softbox for my 580ex flash using a larger bowl, and because the bowls are relatively light, they are self supporting without the need of brackets etc

I use both flashes with the softboxes in portrait shoots away from home, it means not having to lug studio lighting/stands/brollies around.

:clap: i like it - a lot! :clap:

i was about to say "Genius" too....

ya beat me to it lol

What no sticky back plastic and no washing up liquid container :LOL:

Nice design (y)

Just checking where i can buy shares in plastic washing up bowl companies.

Excellent idea.
Someone might want to try this out, if you paint the inside with white matt paint the reflection from it is better than white gloss, it's something technical to do with light absortion and shining surfaces.
Just a thought.

Excellent idea.
Someone might want to try this out, if you paint the inside with white matt paint the reflection from it is better than white gloss, it's something technical to do with light absortion and shining surfaces.
Just a thought.

Don't know the answer, as I only had white gloss in the house :)

It's likely the reflective properties will be less, but how that effects the quality/softness of the flash is anyones guess.

Why Paint? ..... I just "found" a white plastic bowl in the kitchen cupboard!

Excellent idea.
Just a thought.

my softbox is silvered on the inside to reflect better, kitchen foil anyone?

Just wait til your mum finds out what you've been up to!

I know a wedding pro (well respected one at that) who cut a 1 litre plastic milk bottle in half and stuck the bottom on his flash - swears by it - not sure whether it was full, semi or that other stuff that's like drinking coloured water (pm me if you're techie enough to want to know what kind of milk had been in it)

Great idea just got to have a go at that:clap::clap::clap:

Bob (y)

top idea. give that man a blue peter badge

I know a wedding pro (well respected one at that) who cut a 1 litre plastic milk bottle in half and stuck the bottom on his flash - swears by it - not sure whether it was full, semi or that other stuff that's like drinking coloured water (pm me if you're techie enough to want to know what kind of milk had been in it)

top tip
take the milk out before use! :nuts:

Nice tip (y)

Theres an article in the latest issue of Digital Camera magazine (Just got it delivered by subscription the other day....dunno if its in the shops yet).
In there it shows you how to make a homemade diffuser for your onboard flash too :D

Make it from the handle of a 4 pinter milk bottle :D

I have been using this for a few of months now. To give more light throw to the front I have a piece of white funky foam inside covering the back and half the top of the bottle.

milkflash.jpg

22cm bowl as in first pic - check!

Matt white paint - check

Cloth - nope, but tracing paper I'll try out.

I'll show mine when its done :)

very nice, i'm just not creative enough to have done that...my first flash gun softbox was a pop-up lasolite, lol...but would rather have spent 70p on one than 70pounds! kudos ;)

Wahey guess what we will all be doing this weekend :LOL:

Apart from the inverted dome thing at the top have you noticed the similarity between a Gary Fong Lightsphere and the cheap solar-powered garden lights?

Worth a try.

so, did anyone try this, and how successful have you been?

my dog ate my flash's lightsphere (rrrrrrr!), now im so going to make this :D

I'm very impressed, and on my way to Wilco's to buy a bowl, but looking at the photograph I wondered if a smaller diameter bowl would be better, I don't know how in practice this effects your exposure because it looks to be in front of the computer flash sensor, or do you find It's OK ?

Nice idea - i wonder whether adding a silver foil disc on the inside of the stretched canvas would result in a more diffuse light pattern ?

I'm very impressed, and on my way to Wilco's to buy a bowl, but looking at the photograph I wondered if a smaller diameter bowl would be better, I don't know how in practice this effects your exposure because it looks to be in front of the computer flash sensor, or do you find It's OK ?

You lose the AF assist function-but other than that-it's OK.

Back