Critique A Three from Assynt

Stunning!

I may have liked to see just a little bit of light in the sky with the boat images but it's quite striking.

#3 is top!
#2 I would crop out a tad over the hills to give it a panorama look —but that just me.
#1 I don't know what to … the big black band across the frame…

very cool!

Really like No.2 and as said early, would probably crop part off the sky. Also like No.3 with the boats and reflections but think the bright light on the water leads my eye away.

I like #2 as it is. I've just tried "cropping" a bit off the top by scrolling the window and for me it looses the sense of space if cropped to a pano.

Don't like one. The flaring sun, dark sections, then bright sections of sky and land just don't do it for me. I recognise this would be a technically changelling exposure, but just take 2 and merge them.

Love 2, its epic. Bags of atmospher,e great natual contrast
Love 3. Very catchy

Thanks for the great feedback all, much appreciated. I had my doubts about no. 1 but couldn't quite put my finger on it - so off to try some other edits :) Love the mix of views on the other 2, just shows, there is still much to personal taste. Anyway as I said, really gained form for feedback, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Not a big lover of the totally black sky and environs but it works amazingly well in the third, love it.

No.3 is a joy to see, something a little bit different, and the black sky is fine by me. I think the composition would benefit from a very thin white stroke round the whole picture to help define the edge of the image.
No.2 I also like very much. I hear the other comments about cropping the sky, but I'm not sure about this - it would only have to be a fraction off the top.
No.1 my least favourite - shame about the red tin roof bottom right, but still a great image.

Assynt was the first area I went hill walking in Scotland. As an English man I was blown away with the hills, the desolation, the atmosphere, and I suppose it was the area that got me into Munro bagging, So I've got very fond memories of this area.

Last edited:
No 2 for me- I also think it would benefit from either a cropping or compressing vertically of the sky- i think that the sense of space could be retained. This might be partly because Stoer is the place I love most

I don't get any warm fuzzy feeling from 1 or 3

1...Lovely image, but there's a halo line along the entire length of the mountain tops.
2...My favourite. Love the tones and the feeling of space.
3...The boats look outstanding! I'm generally a fan of a little space, but in this case, I don't think the dark space on the left adds much and I'd be tempted to crop quite heavily there.

1 - A tough exposure and it hasn't quite worked. Nice idea, but too much range and it's gone to black in the middle. I'd crop out the house in the corner too!
2 - Lovely shot, great sense of scale and atmosphere
3 - interesting idea, using the totally black sky. It works for me but I'd be tempted to crop I a little from the left to lose some of the empty space where the water and sky has all gone to black.

Number 2 is nice, the others aren't really working for me. You're best off using a low sun as a warm light source instead of shooting into it, the light could have been lovely in number one if you turned the other way or shot 90 deg to the sun. It's a valid point made about the black sky in picture 3, if the light isn't very good try and go back when it is, we all understand we don't always get the conditions we want but the viewer doesn't care about our time limitations. Blue hour would've worked better, but even so I don't think the elements work for a landscape picture. One of those boats sailing across picture 2, yes!

No 2 for me love the tranquil feel and the vibrant to subtle shades of blue, No 3 is a close 2nd, like the inky black sky. Nice Set !

Thanks all for the feedback, some great points to consider, as always much appreciated :)

for what it's worth I agree that #1 is the weakest link. I will go back and edit it with all the great ideas suggested - if I can get it better I'll post again :)

Back