A tufty eared red squirrel with a bit of foreground mush

Sweet thing for sure… too bad for the very FG!

Are you not a fan…
No, not at all but it is your take!
If possible, I try to get such bokeh behind the subject
as IMO it is more pleasing.

I too don't like the foreground and if it was cropped just below the branch it would look me pleasing imo. Otherwise it is a good take.

I find the squirrel a little soft focus wise, look at it's feet!!!! small aperture would have helped here

Les

I love this shot so much - maybe the feet are a little soft but the overall image is superb and what a cutie! Well done.

Ah Les, thanks for the critique and agreed a higher aperture would have brought those feet in to focus but I was in poor light and needed to shoot as wide as I could.

been there done that :D:D:D:D

Yes, a sweet subject and no compositional nuisance (subjective!)

Here's a shot of a little wintery red squirrel I took in Cumbria recently. I had this shot in mind for a while and whilst I'm happyish I'd love it if it's tale was showing too. Maybe next time.

Red Squirrel - Cumbria, England by Lyle McCalmont, on Flickr

I don't think the FG should be discounted without any form of 'crit' other wise it just becomes peoples opinion. I agree that the FG doesn't work as well as it could. I think this is because the DOF has a sudden step between the OOF grass and the clean grass. If the photograph was taken from a ever so slightly higher point of view the boken might have been a lot more gradual and pulled you into the subject a little better.

Having said that its still a lovely shot! There's also some great work on your Flickr site too and you're just down the road from me, so if you ever fancied meeting up for some wildlife photography that would be sweet.

Cheers

Simon.

I don't think the FG should be discounted without any form of 'crit' other wise it just becomes peoples opinion. I agree that the FG doesn't work as well as it could. I think this is because the DOF has a sudden step between the OOF grass and the clean grass. If the photograph was taken from a ever so slightly higher point of view the boken might have been a lot more gradual and pulled you into the subject a little better.

Having said that its still a lovely shot! There's also some great work on your Flickr site too and you're just down the road from me, so if you ever fancied meeting up for some wildlife photography that would be sweet.

Cheers

Simon.

Thanks Simon and yes I'm always up for a meet up to shoot some wildlife so just ping me a message.

Very nice Jack, I just hope to get some pics of these in Scotland come April when we're up there :)

I'm sure you will, where are you heading? I can maybe offer a few tips.

We are staying at the southern point of Loch Shiel (Acharacle) usually stay in Blaich but that was booked and we seen mingarrypark advertised and looked perfect :)

Back