A3 photo Printer Recommendations needed

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Its looking like its time to update my old Epson 1500W printer which I have used for quite a few years now and have a CIS fitted to keep ink costs down, although its still working well I now feel its time to move to a more capable printer and move to pigment inks from the dye printers i have used for years, been an Epson user since their original A3 printer was introduced.

So looking for user recommendations for a new printer which I suppose will be either Epson or Canon

So my requirements are

A3 or A3+
Pigment Inks
Large Capacity ink cartridges or supported by the CIS makers
more than 6 Inks for HQ B&W Photos

Any recommendations

Are Canon Cartridges chipped like Epson, Is there a solution if chipped for refilling.

Thanks for any input on this

Paul

Last edited:
Is there a solution if chipped for refilling.

That's a taboo wish for the printer makers. They lower
the price of their machines but WANT you to pay top
currency for the cartridges.

I know of commercial printers that uses refill bottles but
they are of larger printing sizes.

Recently replaced my R3000 with a SC-P 600 with refillable cartridges from Permajet. Had limited use but really pleased. Have run some prints through it from the same files that I used on the R3000 and to my eyes they are better overall.

I have the Epsom SC-P600 and use marrit refillable inks. They also do a CIS system.

I’m very happy with inks and see no difference between this and the genuine Epson inks

My advice would be... If you don't use your printer on a regular daily basis, don't by an Epson pigment printer as the head will eventually block.

Last edited:
My advice would be... If you don't use your printer on a regular daily basis, don't by an Epson pigment printer.

And my advice would be don't listen to the advice above. I regularly go weeks without printing and it's fine. My R 3000 had a blocked nozzle which refused to clear. After I bought my SC P 600 I stripped the R3000 down to find a small piece of plastic stuck to the nozzle which has stopped the ink from flowing. Removed it and now have a fully working printer again.

And my advice would be don't listen to the advice above. I regularly go weeks without printing and it's fine. My R 3000 had a blocked nozzle which refused to clear. After I bought my SC P 600 I stripped the R3000 down to find a small piece of plastic stuck to the nozzle which has stopped the ink from flowing. Removed it and now have a fully working printer again.

Good for you Gary.

My advice would be... If you don't use your printer on a regular daily basis, don't by an Epson pigment printer as the head will eventually block.

Nothin wrong with new Epsons. I don’t print a lot, maybe once a month. I haven’t printed something for a couple of months now. I did a quick nozzle check a couple of days ago and it’s still perfect.

Nothin wrong with new Epsons. I don’t print a lot, maybe once a month. I haven’t printed something for a couple of months now. I did a quick nozzle check a couple of days ago and it’s still perfect.

Maybe not for you, but the internet provides reports of blocked nozzles on the latest models.

Maybe not for you, but the internet provides reports of blocked nozzles on the latest models.
I wasn’t going to get involved in this however it seems to be a bit one sided - having binned an Epson R2880 and then not long after an Epson R3000 both of which had multiple unblockable nozzles (no amount of magic bullet or clever clogs soaking saved them - not to mention the wasted ink)
I won’t touch any printer with a fixed head which involves a radical tear down to remove added to which the cost of said replacement part is nearly the cost of a new printer. If I wanted a pigment ink printer that I could instantly replace the entire print head for less than a hundred Bucks it would be a Canon Pixma Pro 10 or higher.

Reactions: zeb
Back