About long primes

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone out there who does lots of sport photography with medium-long primes such as say a 300mm?

I would like to hear from anyone who can give advce...

I am considering getting the 300mm but without zoom (obviously) how does one compensate for a "full" and "less full" viewfinder?

You would have to compensate with your feet.
You can also use teleconverters to fill the frame.

You would have to compensate with your feet.
You can also use teleconverters to fill the frame.

T/C = no problem as I have the 2x and will most likely eventually get the 1,4x

It's the feet thing that worries me with mommies and daddies being in the way when you suddenly have to move 10 paces quickly...:shrug:

Bit of an expensive fall if you do, right?:bang:

It looks to me like Diego may have other things on his mind....

Very true.
If he responds here I'll ask him but I really hope he is O.K.

How are you doing Peter?:wave: How is Christian doing?

I use the 300 prime & love it, I don't find the lack of zoom to be any kind of a problem (makes you really think about positioning & composition too) IQ is amazing!!
I also find that if you are wielding a lens of that size too then parents/children tend to stay out of the way in fear (y) :LOL:

How about a Sigma 120-300 2.8? I use one and its great!

Hiya Joe

I dunno, I have never been a great fan of Sigma lenses (for no single logical reason TBH)

It is just that here where I live no single shop keeps a decent selection of the really nice stuff so if I want something I get on a plane and fly to the next town.(Buy it there, come back home and play)

Can you post a link to stuff you did with your 120-300?(y)

I think the pros who use primes for sports, use 2 or 3 bodies with different lengths of lens on each to avoid the running around thang :)

I think the pros who use primes for sports, use 2 or 3 bodies with different lengths of lens on each to avoid the running around thang :)

Very valid point old man but some of us have to stick to a budget:LOL:

Tanx Joe

Had a look there, some super stuff...Will check up on this lens(y)

Sorry I missed this. Primes are essential if you want to shoot sport imo. 300mm + 400mm. Nothing comes close to PQ and learning to master a prime is a great learning curve.

Sorry I missed this. Primes are essential if you want to shoot sport imo. 300mm + 400mm. Nothing comes close to PQ and learning to master a prime is a great learning curve.

300mm is useless when somebody is tackling etc next to you on the touchline. Unless you have the luxury of multiple bodies / primes then a 'good quality' zoom is the best.

Or you could run 100yds backwards with your 400mm to get the same field of view as a 18mm lens

disclaimer

Those numbers have been made up to illustrate a point ;)

Back