About To Push The Boundaries...

Just out of interest and a bit OT, who are the 25 Bad Boys of photography?

I have limited myself to one photo mag a month, the BJP!:)

A wise move. Professional Photographer has gone backwards since Ian Farrell left.

When you do please post in this thread to link to the new one :)

Whatever worth your photos will or won't have you clearly have a talent for hype. Not sure if I personally like hype in an artist but there's no doubt it's good for business. (y) :)

Whatever worth your photos will or won't have you clearly have a talent for hype. Not sure if I personally like hype in an artist but there's no doubt it's good for business. (y) :)

Hype puts pressure in me, I like pressure. Although i didn't mean to actually hype it as much as i have at all.

Although i didn't mean to actually hype it as much as i have at all.

hard to ignore the fact that this thread has gotten something like ten times the number of replies most will and you haven't even shown the photos yet.

If you want to be known and be in magazines I suspect this is just the way to do it.

I like pressure too, that's the one thing I miss from the jurassic days of film. Too many safety nets for the modern snapper. ;)

Last edited:
hard to ignore the fact that this thread has gotten something like ten times the number of replies most will and you haven't even shown the photos yet.

If you want to be known and be in magazines I suspect this is just the way to do it.

I like pressure too, that's the one thing I miss from the jurassic days of film. Too many safety nets for the modern snapper. ;)

Hype is a double edged sword, and something you see a lot of in the computer games industry.

So many games get hyped to hell, people get their hopes up and when the game comes out, despite being good it doesn't live up to expectations and gets slated by the community.

Now and again you come across a game that never received any hype and it blows you out of the water its so good.

The more the hype, the more you have to bring to the table. Any flaws in it means you will fail.

With regards to hype and creating expectation I think Al Pacino said it best in the film devils advocate:

"Don't get too cocky my boy. No matter how good you are don't ever let them see you coming. That's the gaffe my friend. You gotta keep yourself small. Innocuous. Be the little guy. You know, the nerd... the leper... ****-kickin' surfer. Look at me. Underestimated from day one. You'd never think I was a master of the universe, now would ya? "

"There's this beautiful girl just ****ed me forty ways from Sunday... we're done, she's walking to the bathroom, she's trying to walk, she turns... she looks... it's me. Not the Trojan army just ****ed her. Little ol' me. She has this look on her face like: "How the hell did that happen?" "

I have, and still fail to see any controversy. I like the shot but fails to meet the hype around it.

If you read it then you didn't understand it Dave. As Luke has said many time, the "pushing the boundaries" and hype comments were not about this photo but about some upcoming work.

Hey guys I served in Afghanistan back in 2009/2010 .......

Byron,I've just removed all your other posts scattered round the forum promoting your pictures site.
I believe that you have actually been told my another mod previously, not to pimp your images or website in other peoples threads, or indeed on the forum per se'

Back