Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Lucky old me just won a corporate package to the AD Grand Prix this weekend. :banana:

I've never been to a GP before but hope to take some photos when I'm there. However I don't want to carry more than 2 lenses so for sure I'll take my 15-85 and one other longer lens. I have a 70-300 IS and a 100-400L but I'm not sure which to take, although I would probably prefer to take the 70-300 as it's lighter.

Any suggestions?

All I can say is that each GP is different.

Dubai is very much different from Monte Carlo, for example; so what lens you need will differ. Also, what kind of shots you're looking for & where you'll be sitting will dictate what you ought to have.

The 15-85 you've mentioned may be ample for shots of the spectators. My guess, for the racing cars, the 100-400 would be a better option :shrug:

I suggest, if you can pay the track a visit, see where you'll be seated and take both lenses (70-300 & 100-400) to test them out. This would help.

Are you going for the race day only, or the Practice and Qualifications too? Attending any of these may also be of help.

Thanks for the reply Wail. I'll be attending Saturday afternoon and race day although I'll be staying overnight in Abu Dhabi, as I live in Dubai, so will have to make my lens choice before I leave on Saturday morning.

As it's corporate I expect I'll be in the main stand.

Your 100-400 will struggle in the dark...

Back