Abu Dhabi // Street Scenes

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
First street shots in Abu Dhabi after a long hot, humid summer. It was still a bit warm but I had a few hours to kill and wanted to get back into it. I'd forgot how hard it can be, especially when you stick out like a sore thumb like I do here. Anyway, I'll probably keep this thread alive over the next few months and add to it when I get the chance.

First three keepers out of about 100 shots. All shot on the Fuji X100T.

Any C&C welcome.

2rp9nxw.jpg

dy3p6q.jpg

2zghswn.jpg

Last edited:

…dig them all! I like the #1 best.

3 is well timed
Thanks Adrian. Yeah that one took me about 15 minutes waiting in that spot for someone to walk by. I had hoped it might be a local in traditional clothing but he had to do!

Liking No 3 also.
For me it's the timing, having the final piece form the end of the triangle, maintaining the slope, with the human included outside of the scale of the others, yet fully integral to the jigsaw.
Whole frame nicely balanced with the script on the other side too.
Simple but very subtle and clever.
Good spot and execution.

Liking No 3 also.
For me it's the timing, having the final piece form the end of the triangle, maintaining the slope, with the human included outside of the scale of the others, yet fully integral to the jigsaw.
Whole frame nicely balanced with the script on the other side too.
Simple but very subtle and clever.
Good spot and execution.

Thanks for the comments Paul. I spotted the location weeks ago and knew it would be well balanced if a passer-by walked into the frame.

Cool number 2 for me all the way. Them colours are soooooooo good for the eye.

Gaz

Loving #3. I know I've driven past it but can't place the location.

How do you find people react out here to street stuff and portraits? I get paranoid of p***ing off the wrong person and getting sent to court!

Three great shots. Hard to pick a winner but it's a close tie between #1 and #'3 for first place. Terrific!

Loving #3. I know I've driven past it but can't place the location.

How do you find people react out here to street stuff and portraits? I get paranoid of p***ing off the wrong person and getting sent to court!

Thanks Mike, it's Qasr Al Hosn, the old fort next to the Embassy.

Fine normally. If they speak good english I might chat for a bit but if they're noticeably unsure of what's going on I'll just take the picture, smile and say thank you then move on.

I never worry too much about p***ing people off because I'm not shooting locals and I'm not in the kinds of places important locals would go. Touch wood, I haven't had any problems, but I am careful :D

I like them all, but I'm going to pick #2 as my favourite - not that my opinion matters a jot but you did ask :)

The unguarded expression, composition and colours make it sing. I really want to know what's going on here - and who's that through the gap?

The first is ok.. but it's a bit like a posed portrait which hasn't been posed, if that makes sense. The billboard shot is nicely done but is probably #3 on the list of street photography cliches to avoid.

I like them all, but I'm going to pick #2 as my favourite - not that my opinion matters a jot but you did ask :)

The unguarded expression, composition and colours make it sing. I really want to know what's going on here - and who's that through the gap?

The first is ok.. but it's a bit like a posed portrait which hasn't been posed, if that makes sense. The billboard shot is nicely done but is probably #3 on the list of street photography cliches to avoid.

I waited longer than was comfortable for the guy in the gap to peer through :D

Thanks Adrian. Yeah that one took me about 15 minutes waiting in that spot for someone to walk by. I had hoped it might be a local in traditional clothing but he had to do!
2 and 3 are lovely shots, have waited on a similar shot like that myself (3) and it's always worth the wait when the person does come along.

Back