Abu Dhabi

Edit My Images
No
Going to the GP, will a 70-200 VR be enough reach with a 1.4 TC ?

Last edited:
Take the 70-200 and 1.4x and you'll be fine - that gives you 70-280mm of zoom.

You'll find though that after 3-4 days of shooting from the same location you will get a bit bored/with samey type shots, but that's just the nature of the beast.

I've watched the GP from the Marina Stand and from the hospitality at the West Grandstand but spend a lot of time at Yas trackside. You could realistically use anything from 14mm right the way to 500mm depending on the type of shot you were after.

280mm on a crop body should give you frame fillers.

...so for the actual practice/race am guessing the higher ISO will be far more useful...
Why?
If the light is half decent, 100 ISO will suffice.
The fastest you'd need to go to will probably be 400 ISO if it clouds over and the light level significantly drops.

Shoot in shutter priority and adjust your aperture get your exposure correct.

Anyone been there before that could offer any advice, or just with experience of GP photography for beginners at could offer some advice as keen to hear anything that may be useful?

Thanks in advance

Haven't been to Yas, but have shot a just couple of motorsport events in my time.
Shooting from the stands, you'll probably find the 70-200 a bit short for track work, even with the 1.4 converter.
If you can get hold of a 100-400 that would probably be the better option.

Move around, don't park yourself in the one spot all weekend.
All you'll end up with is same shot, different car.

Last edited:
Thanks, plan to move about except in the race itself where will stay at the grandstand seat we have allocated

Last edited:
Yes its a twilight race. However the lights they use on track are pretty impressive. To give you a guide to the ambient light levels during the race. last year I was using 1/400 f5.6 at ISO 1250 for a fairly stock shot. I'd also recommend using spot metering will save you having to chimp to get the exposure right.

Its one of my fave races of the year just because of how many light changes and the different ways you can work with the light. You can view a small selection of my images here Abu Dhabi F1 picture post .

Last edited:
Yes its a twilight race. However the lights they use on track are pretty impressive. To give you a guide to the ambient light levels during the race. last year I was using 1/400 f5.6 at ISO 1250 for a fairly stock shot. I'd also recommend using spot metering will save you having to chimp to get the exposure right.

Its one of my fave races of the year just because of how many light changes and the different ways you can work with the light. You can view a small selection of my images here Abu Dhabi F1 picture post .

You are pretty good at this ( read: actually amazing work) :D

You might be just a little short with the lenses you describe. It obviously depends where the cars are when you shoot them.
However Yas Marina is one of the best circuits there is for the photo taking public. The grandstands are high, and not too far fromthe circuit like perhaps Silverstone often can be. But best of all at Yas they have an area at the ends where standing is allowed, and taking photos almost encouraged. Plus free ear plugs handed out to all spectators.
This was taken at just 80mm focal length, and is "the other side" of the track to the West Stand where the cars go past from left to right.
DSC07950.jpg

The rest are on here at

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=275176

Back