Achieving a white background

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been reading about using a seperate light on a white backdrop in order to keep it nice and white, however, if I am shooting a small objects that are sitting on a white sweep, although its possible to light the back of the sweep, how does one light the part where the object is sitting on?

If I expose for the subject, my white goes a murky grey, but exposing for the white gives me an overexposed subject. Using a light tent at the moment and have several off camera strobes.

I was curious how the real pro's do it and if they ever use ligt tents or do they have an open set-up using softboxes etc instead?

I can't speak for other people but I doubt whether real pros use light tents - why would they when it's easier to get better results without them?

There are various ways of achieving a white background for small products. The most popular is probably a product shooting table, which is just a metal framework, a bit like a large chair without a back or a seat, with a large piece of white frosted acrylic (Perspex) fitted to it in a sweep. Being translucent, it can be lit from underneath as well as from behind (as well as lighting the actual subject of course) and the level of 'background' lighting can be adjusted very precisely.

I can't speak for other people but I doubt whether real pros use light tents - why would they when it's easier to get better results without them?

There are various ways of achieving a white background for small products. The most popular is probably a product shooting table, which is just a metal framework, a bit like a large chair without a back or a seat, with a large piece of white frosted acrylic (Perspex) fitted to it in a sweep. Being translucent, it can be lit from underneath as well as from behind (as well as lighting the actual subject of course) and the level of 'background' lighting can be adjusted very precisely.

Garry thats a great idea! Never thought of doing that. I will certainly be giving that a try, thanks for the great advice.

i had one of those tables and it stillcast shadows as the main diffused refelector had to be about 15 feet in the air. thats was capturing white porcelain sinks.
An absolute mare to get white and keep yourself out of any reflections.
for the small items down to a shinny black comb i used a globe with the camera poking in through the cut out top. They are very common in the jewelry trade.

Are you moving indoors now !!

Lastolite 'Hilite' systems are the best for this, you have your Hilite behind the item and then one softbox facing the item. They also do special smaller sizes for product work.

Back