AD400 Pro on the way

I think the AD400 is a bit of a b*****d child, I will have a look at the mount to describe it better - yes the perceived advantage is that it can be many mounts for many photographers

So, for those potential buyers that have a studio full of their favourite and expensive Broncolor/Profoto/Elinchrom light modifiers, they can just buy an AD400-Pro with the appropriate adapter and they're good to go. Sounds perfect - except that in practise this inevitably means the flash tube gets repositioned, which a) can reduce effective brightness substantially, and b) will change the characteristics of the modifier - maybe a little, maybe more.

A common issue with a lot of universal-mount products is they end up not fitting anything properly. Several lens manufacturers have tried it over the years, eg Tamron Adapt-all, and have ended up producing fixed mount lenses according to camera. I'm not seeing the wisdom of this Godox idea, particularly when so many light modifiers these days come with an interchangeable mount.

A common issue with a lot of universal-mount products is they end up not fitting anything properly. Several lens manufacturers have tried it over the years, eg Tamron Adapt-all, and have ended up producing fixed mount lenses according to camera. I'm not seeing the wisdom of this Godox idea, particularly when so many light modifiers these days come with an interchangeable mount.

Looking at the side by side photos the flash tube sits further back than on the AD600 Pro, if that's the cause it seems unfortunate to say the least given it was something they fixed moving from AD600 to AD600 pro.

Hi Mike, if you get the opportunity to compare it to 2x Ad200s in an AD-B2, I'd be interested in your thoughts between the 2 as they are very evenly priced.

Obviously you have the advantage of 2 lights or one with the AD200s but what would be the advantages of the AD400 be over the AD200s for you?

Hi Mike, if you get the opportunity to compare it to 2x Ad200s in an AD-B2, I'd be interested in your thoughts between the 2 as they are very evenly priced.

Obviously you have the advantage of 2 lights or one with the AD200s but what would be the advantages of the AD400 be over the AD200s for you?

I think the differences are mainly in secondary features, if we assume for the sake of argument that power and size/weight/cost are similar.

- AD400-Pro has one flash tube in the right position (eg for use with beauty dish).
- Brighter modelling LED.
- Cooling fan.
- No rear LCD to smash in the event of a fall (you can now get buffers to protect AD200).
- Two units plus dual adapter is more cumbersome.

Reactions: TG.
Back