Adding even border to 3:2 image to upscale to A0/1/2

Edit My Images
No
Sorry, this must have been asked before.

I'm struggling to find an effective way to add a white border to a 3:2 ratio image to make it up to a A0/1/2 size- the plan is to get a few posters printed.

I don't want to crop any of the image due to the content and I am aware the border won't be even all the way round but just as long as its even top/bottom & right/left I'll be happy.

I am using gimp & LR. LR won't sit the image central to the paper size via the print to file module and when trying to add the image to a larger canvas in gimp it's confusing me re messing with the res

Any help would be appreciated

A simple solution is to "anchor the picture in the middle
of the extension and give the dimension you want…

Anchorpoint.png

No, it isn't and I don't know Gimp but I presume
all apps are offering this one way or the other! :cool:

The Layout tab is what I use.

Set the margins to the same numbers and it will centralise. You'll then see a black border which is your available space for your image (the cell size). The example below is sA3 (13x19") so the image is centrally placed at 15" wide with 2" either side. Vertical cell size is 10.95" with a 1" border top & bottom and the image doesn't fit perfectly, but it's central..

So set your paper size, go into Layout, set an even border left-right and top-bottom, then you'll get an idea of how big your image will be.

(Edit to add sorry for the size of the screenie. Imjur did it :))

oZ73qvJ.jpg

Last edited:
Back