Adding fill flash outside and film

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hello all
I have a working solution for my Bronicas by firing a flash using a trigger.

I want to venture out and add fill flash to shots and I have one in mind.

I have a local church on a hill which I have shot with old gravestones in front.

The church is coming out fine but I would like to add a flick of light to the foreground items, gravestone and tree, to save on dodging when enlarging and printing.

Being new to flash outside I am not sure of the mechanics and ask if anyone here has some pointers.

That of course is reliant on if it can be donw.

I wish you well
Dave

Interesting and had to get out my Etrsi to see how I would do it....the speed grip is not much use as you can't angle the attached flash gun down to the foreground unless you somehow attach a deflector, but you have a X terminal and you can plug in a lead from camera to flashgun, but then you would need three hands or use a tripod for camera and flashgun...you also would also have to work out the exposure for church and foreground but using Photoshop would help.
Well that's my first thought on how to do it but am sure someone else will post from experience.
edit: Just thought it might be possible to take one shot of the church and another of the foreground and use Photoshop to merge although you might not be happy with the final size (after merge).

Last edited:
How close are you to the gravestone and tree and in what natural light/ time of day are you shooting. If it is a longer exposure at twilight then you could manually fire the flash and even fire it multiple times within a few seconds. If is full daylight then you are going to need some pretty powerful flashes to make much of a difference. Also how many flash guns do you have? a single gun may give strong directional shadows depending on ambient light but may be that is the look you are going for.

Last edited:
You used to be able to get long sync leads (still got some somewhere) failing that optical slaves were the way it used to be done. Now radio triggers are cheap enough for a play. I tried a cheepy of flebay last year, actually well impressed, worked up to about 50 yards, ok it didn't have the bells and whistles of the proper units, but it worked fine, and I think it cost my mate a tenner or something stupid like that.

Just to add to @swanseamale47 the cheap wireless triggers from Ebay etc do work well but the ones I have need to go on a hotshoe, you can get a hotshoe on a short sync cable so I guess one of those plus the wireless trigger would be the way to go unless you have the speed grip with hotshoe built in. The other advantage of the wireless trigger is that it will fire multiple receivers. Also many modern flashes have optical triggers built in or even built in wireless

Just to add to @swanseamale47 the cheap wireless triggers from Ebay etc do work well but the ones I have need to go on a hotshoe, you can get a hotshoe on a short sync cable so I guess one of those plus the wireless trigger would be the way to go unless you have the speed grip with hotshoe built in. The other advantage of the wireless trigger is that it will fire multiple receivers. Also many modern flashes have optical triggers built in or even built in wireless
Yes, the one my mate got came with a short pc cable and two receivers to fire two flashes at the same time.
link this looks like my mates one.

Back