Review ADIDT M1 Remote Cord (For the Canon 350D and others)

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
After selling my Canon G3 to replace it with a Canon 350D, I found myself without the bundled wireless remote which I was used to, and needed to shop for a replacement.
I didn't really want to pay official Canon prices. Not for something which I is essentially a button on a wire. So I had a look through eBay for third party alternatives, and stumbled upon the cheap and popular ADIDT M1 Remote Cord.
Although it was being sold from Germany, priced at £5.99 with P&P listed as £2.00 it was an opportunity I couldn't really pass up. So I bought it.

2 days later a jiffy bag landed on my doormat. Nice quick service.
Opening the jiffy bag I noticed the box had been 'undone', all the flaps pulled out, so it wouldn't get crushed and bent in transit. The jiffy bag was enough protection for the remote. Neat idea I thought as I reassembled the box, straightening it all out and tucking the flaps back in.

adidt_m1_1.jpg

The unit measures just 79mm x 25mm x 15mm. Small enough to fit in any photographers pocket or bag without being obtrusive, as would be expected of any remote.

adidt_m1_2.jpg

The cable is roughly 870 mm long, which is long enough for most applications, yet not too long to get in the way. There are longer (3m+) versions available, however these were too long for my needs.

The first thing I did was have a little feel of the switch, and I felt a little disconcerted, it didn't feel right. Rather like a button on a very very cheap electronic item from a 'pound shop'. I had to press it a few times before it started to feel right, each time I was trying to feel for the focus lock / half press, then full squeeze, and then that little bit further trying to slide the button as if I were locking a shutter open.

So it seems it was my initial misconception that it didn't feel right, I was expecting a perfectly snug button, and this wobbles slightly. This may be a problem for the perfectionists amongst us, but I think the price reflects this. The focus lock does take a short while to get used to, as at first with heavy handed giants like myself it can be hard to feel as it is such a slight microswitch, but once you are used to it, it can be 'found' every time.

The shutter lock was a little stiff at first, but after a few clicks and locks it seemed to 'loosen up' a trifle and become more fluid.

The good thing about this remote, is that it has a little socket on the side, in which you can plug in a synchro cable connected to another camera, thus linking the two and being able to operate two cameras from one remote simultaneously.

adidt_m1_3.jpg

My opinions :
Is it worth the £5.99? Definitely
A viable alternative to the official Canon RS-60E3? Definitely

If, like me, you shudder at the thought of spending £20 or so on the official RS-60E3, when you can buy something for almost 1/4 of the price, that does exactly the same job, then I would suggest you go buy it. If you're just after a remote that does what it says on the tin, then this is for you. It's comfortable in the hand, doesn't look bad, and is an absolute bargain, even if posted from overseas.

adidt_m1_4.jpg

It gets the big :thumb: up from me :)

Regards

marcel@thephotographyforums.com

top bombing Marcel, i will add this to site front very soon

Nice one good sir........I'll just delete the review of the same item i've been slowwwwwwly putting together. :nunu:

They must have someone employed to jump on the boxes because mine arrived in the same condition, and yet there wasn't a single crease in the jiffy bag or the instruction sheet :nut:

They do work very well for the money though :banana:

Definately worth the money I think :)
Sorry mate, didn't know you were putting a review together :(

As for the box, I think it is like that from new, in that it's never been assembled, when I put it together there was some stiffness in the creases, indicating that it had never been put together, if that makes sense.

Nice review Marcel, one question though..apart from photographing it for the review, why on earth would you want to assemble the box after recieving the item? :nut:

Steve said:
Nice review Marcel, one question though..apart from photographing it for the review, why on earth would you want to assemble the box after recieving the item? :nut:

To photograph it for the review :flipoff: :p

Don't pick on him Steve

He's from Bury.........it's sort of like Care in the community :LOL:

Steve said:
Thats what I said ;)

If you knew photographing it for the review was such a good idea, then why was the need to ask? ;) :nut:

You've just admitted that you knew what it was for, so your question seems unnecessary :p

sm_plusone.gif

OK I'll re-answer then.

Steve said:

I wouldn't because that would just be silly. :) :D

Steve said:

Erm so you can have a mini Christmas, put it all together, put the remote in and then rip it to shreds like a kid with a new toy ? :nut:

LOL

Hehe. Rumbled.

/Walks away :whistling

I've got one of these too, and the button is awful. I half-press it to focus, and it does nothing, press it just beyond half and it focuses, but go too far and it takes the shot :confused:

I've been thinking about ripping the button out and putting my own in.

Can't argue with the price though ;)

Matt

Just to balance things - I have one and the half press is fine.

Just as easy to use as the camera button.

Also like the slide to lock thing.... put the camera in continuous mode on long exposure on a tripod last time there was a thunderstorm and used the slide switch. 10 mins continuous series of pictures of blank sky while I got a cup of tea :)

Took camera off tripod and of course the lightening came back :(

I've had the Adidt cord for over a year, the button may feel a little on the un refined side, but it's operation has been faultless.
It's amongst the best tography buys i've made :)

Yeah I agree, you can tell it's not original Canon calibre, but it seems fine for me, I can feel the half press.

However, it doesnt always focus on the half press, it depends on the mode (on my 350D anyway)

Operation for me has also been faultless.
Not had much chance to use it unfortunately (although that is going to change from next month :))

I've had one for about four months and it works faultlessly. :thumb:

regards

Marcel said:
Not had much chance to use it unfortunately (although that is going to change from next month :))

Care to expand on that good sir :confused-

Back