Adjusting the Arca Swiss P-0 tension range.

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Not long ago I ran across this thread that included this image and instructions for adjusting the tension.

757a48873ef64788b833bd4f28af52e4

The instructions are wrong in that the base screws are posi-drive and not phillips, although they are not secured very tight (at least mine weren't). I reduced the min tension by adjusting the sprockets 4 teeth clockwise. This has made the minimum tension a lot lower, which reduces the range of "useful travel" for the friction ring... and that's exactly what I wanted. Now it goes from solid lockup to easily repositionable with only a half twist of the friction ring.

In the original post the author was concerned about the head being too loose at minimum adjustment, but that used to take two - three full turns of the friction ring to reach. Increasing the minimum friction doesn't do much for reducing the travel required to get to max tension for some reason. I guess if you are using lighter gear and don't really need/want to lock it down solid increasing the minimum tension and staying towards that end of friction ring travel could also work.

This post appeals to me as a P0 user, thanks Steven, and probably very few others! So the first thing I'd like to say is this is probably the most over-looked and under-appreciated head on the market. It looks a bit unconventional, but its unique locking mechanism is without peer IMHO, resulting in a very light, very strong, and very adjustable head. It's very fast and easy to use, and also very precise with zero shift on locking down. Downsides are it's not cheap, and it really needs to be used with an L-bracket for vertical shooting.

I'm not understanding the problem here though. "Two - three full turns" to lock/unlock?! Mine goes from completely loose (against the stop) to max rock solid in just over 1/4 turn, with most of the useful adjustment in the last 3/16ths. With the large diameter ring, the action is both light and precise. I've tried a couple of other copies and as I recall they were similar - certainly not 2-3 full turns! Apologies if I've misunderstood :)

I bought mine used quite a while ago... there's a fair chance that it was messed with as the screws look like someone used the wrong type of screwdriver on them at some point (slightly stripped) and they were not set very firmly. I just wanted it to act more like an "on-off" adjustment... not too concerned with the middle range/finesse (I have other heads for that). It may not have actually been 2-3 full turns, but it seemed like it.

I don't mind using it flopped over for portrait shots with lighter gear; it doesn't seem any worse than most ballheads in that respect. With heavier/unbalanced gear the panning clamp is a weakness used that way. The same is true of my Z1DP and any other that has a panning top clamp (that I have tried).

Last edited:
I have a P0, this is very useful, the number of turns for the tension is annoying on what is a great head. Will give this a try this weekend.

I tried to find some kind of guide/manual as to how it's supposed to be set (factory default) but I struck out.

I'm pretty sure that my P0 is standard, as out of the factory. All the others I've tried have been as-new dealer samples and I'd certainly have noticed if they needed significantly more turns to lock. The last occasion was only a couple of days ago at The Photography Show in the UK. The quick, short and light action is one of the best features - it's just a flick of the wrist really.

I have my P0 in front of me now, and it's completely loose with the ring fully anti-clockwise, against the stop*. I can just about feel the ball beginning to tighten when it's flipped right over and riding on the aspherical part of the ball. Even a small movement of the lock ring then begins to apply friction, and within 1/8th turn it's quite stiff, probably just right for fine adjustments with a heavier rig. By a quarter turn, it's really pretty tight and that's as far as I ever need to take it with a 70-200 lens, but there's another 1/16th turn available if you really wring its neck.

Would love to see a pic of all those planetary gears when you take it apart (as I'm sure you will :D).

*Does yours have a solid stop on fully loose? Or has that maybe been removed by a previous owner?

Its great to see this post as usually theres not a lot of info about these heads and I agree with Hoppy with it being a great under-appreciated head on the market!

I have the Arca Swiss L Bracket too...which is great, but you can't centre the locking plate which is annoying. I did contact Robert White about this and they said it was something they had never noticed and didn't know how to fix! :-(

*Does yours have a solid stop on fully loose? Or has that maybe been removed by a previous owner?
Yes, it has a fixed stop.

Would love to see a pic of all those planetary gears when you take it apart (as I'm sure you will :D).

I'm not planning on it!

Last edited:
Back