Adobe Elements 4

Steep

Nutcrack Rapids
Name
Hugh
Edit My Images
Yes
I didn't realise version 4 was out, has anyone had a chance to use it yet?

Steep said:

..I downloaded the trial. Couldn't tell it apart from version 3. :icon_eek:

I didn't realise that Elements 4 was out either, they seem to be pushing PhotoshopCS everywhere I look so that may be why it has passed me by. I use Photoshop CS now anyway so it doesn't realy interest me although Elements was, and still is I presume, a very competent image editing package and can form a great stepping stone if you want to move onto Photoshop later.

Steve said:
I didn't realise that Elements 4 was out either, they seem to be pushing PhotoshopCS everywhere I look so that may be why it has passed me by. I use Photoshop CS now anyway so it doesn't realy interest me although Elements was, and still is I presume, a very competent image editing package and can form a great stepping stone if you want to move onto Photoshop later.

.. I noticed the ad whilst looking in this months edition of Practical Photography.

I've seen it on the the shelves for 60 squid, but I think I'll stick with my copy of Photoshop 7 that I borrowed from work :whistling , .. I'd love CS2 but can't afford it!

If you have a legit serial number from one of the previous versions of PS then you can upgrade using that for a fraction of the full retail cost.

Not everyone know that so I thought I should just point it out. The process is painless too, just ring Adobe up and they ask for a serial number then your details from there. :)

Steve said:
If you have a legit serial number from one of the previous versions of PS then you can upgrade using that for a fraction of the full retail cost.

Not everyone know that so I thought I should just point it out. The process is painless too, just ring Adobe up and they ask for a serial number then your details from there. :)

..I have the original CD so might get away with that. PS7 seems good enough at the moment though, not done much with it up until now so its a good platform to learn on..

There are some advancements from 7 to CS2 but its still a very complex package and more than capable of doing everything that most of us caould think off. I would certainly master (snigger) 7 before moving on unless you find something specific in CS2 that you feel would benefit.

Steve said:
There are some advancements from 7 to CS2 but its still a very complex package and more than capable of doing everything that most of us caould think off. I would certainly master (snigger) 7 before moving on unless you find something specific in CS2 that you feel would benefit.

Yep my thoughts exactly.. have to be pretty clued up before shelling out nearly 500 notes for CS2!

Found Elements 4 for £48 delivered so I've ordered it and will do a 'review' when I've had a chance to play with it.

Hello Steep,

Any opinions on Elements 4 yet? :)

Tempted to buy this to upgrade from Elements 2,

Thanks,

Mark.

Well I do use it, it's still the best software I have for printing.
The ability to handle RAW files has given it a big boost though a major failing is that it is still limited to 8bit files. It won't even look at a 16bit file, since I like to convert my RAW images to 16bit to get the best chance at detail etc this is a problem for me.
It has a few more 'idiot tools' like auto red eye reduction which I have no use for but others may find they do.

Overall I'd say if you have £48 to spare it's a good investment over Ele2 however if you can hang on and save up I'd be tempted to go for PSCS

Steep said:

Got mine on Friday last ... not used other any photo manip software than Nikon's own PitureProject and, as you might expect there is a lot more to it ! :dizzy:

Seems largely user friendly and incredibly intuitive so far ! But it is early days yet and I could not do it real justice on the back of a single weekend. :smilenod:

Haven't even learnt how to add a border yet ! :laugh1:

Enjoy when it arrives Steep ! :thumb:

my brother received it for christmas, he hasn't used anything else before, and he says its MINT!!! can do alsorts with it, like pick a face from one photo, and it will fetch every photo with the same face from all your images, if you tell it to of course, nifty eh!

I've read that alot of the third party plugins that you could download for 1 2 and three don't work in four as adobe have disabled some actions or something. There are some arguments about which is better three or four

We got Elements as part of the kit issue on the Sony Vaio I use. It's sitting on the desk next to me right now, being used as a coffee-mug coaster!
Sorry...

stevannie said:
my brother received it for christmas, he hasn't used anything else before, and he says its MINT!!!

I think that's the trick, for someone who hasn't used image editing software before it's going to be very easy to get into and use.
For someone like myself who has got used to other software and has their own way of doing things, it's different. I see more of the differences, find it less adaptable to my way of doing things and I hate being nanny'd by software. Still it does serve well for printing to paper if nothing else.

Back