Adobe flexing their muscles

Very easy to get round that. Apparently. So I've been told...

But the thing is; if I want to continue to use Adobe products from now, I'd have to pay a subscription. I have no choice. This is a very good marketing ploy; I'd be 'locked in'. I need to see if it's going to actually be worth it for my needs; I'm not earning money from using it, so it's purely for 'hobby' purposes. I'm going to shortly be looking into the possibility of running my old apps on a new machine. It may involve the use of a virtual machine. I doubt I can just install the apps on a new Mac, and have them run fine. But for LR, I may just buy an alternative; there are at least a few on the market. For PS, I can possibly live with running a VM for when I need it. That's fine for my purposes. Then there's always GIMP...

I think something like Parallels should work for the Mac (old Adobe software should be fine on Windows 10 - I have run PS7 and CS3). But as a Nikon user you might want to look at the recently released Capture One Express for Nikon, which is a free download:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/capture-one-express-free-for-nikon-fuji-and-sony.711250/

As Graham suggests in that thread, this plus Affinity Photo is a pretty good combination. Right now, Affinity is still half price at £23.99 (though the offer was supposed to end on the 20th):

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

I think something like Parallels should work for the Mac (old Adobe software should be fine on Windows 10 - I have run PS7 and CS3). But as a Nikon user you might want to look at the recently released Capture One Express for Nikon, which is a free download:

No I can probbly do it via VMWare Fusion, Or even by booting from an older HD, if the current Mac OS will allow that. I have a Windows drive in my MacPro which I can boot up in Fusion. So I'll still have the older software to fall back on if I can't get a suitable alternative running under the new Mac OS. I'm going to borrow a friend's new MacBook to try it out. As for Nikon C1E; yes, I could use that. I can't, currently, cos my Mac can't run it. And herein lies the problem; it's an 'obsolete' machine, so less stuff runs nicely on it. That's life. But it can definitely continue service as a server, no problem.

Back