Adobe Photoshop CS3

Edit My Images
No
I bought CS3 extended a few years ago (6 or 7 ) and it was not cheap £450 ish I think.
I bought a new pc at Xmas and had a nightmare getting it to work.
Adobe have switched off the activation server. As a result you have to download I modded version of the program and send your license code off. U get a new code that sort of puts u in perpetual trial mode. U can use all features but no updates and no activation.
Recently it stopped working again.
I think it’s disgusting to sell such an expensive item that is perfectly good for my use, to then effectively take it back off you and expect to sell you the new hire purchase pay monthly version.

Has anyone else got and use cs3 ?
I can’t locate the info I need to completely uninstall then reinstall and do the work around.

CS3 Extended was released in 2007 and replaced in 2008, that's quite an age ago in computing terms.
If you bought it 6 or 7 years ago, you may have been misled by the seller, and purchased a pirate / modded copy.

Was it bought from the Adobe site direct or via a reseller / ebay?

It’s a genuine retail boxed version. Bought from amazon.
I had to contact adobe to get the new license code for the download version but it took me weeks to get the info I needed. Adobe were not very helpful and just wanted to sell me the monthly version.

Ah I've found the page.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs3-product-downloads.html

If you sign in does it not have the 'new CS3' available to you?
thanks for taking time to find that link.
I downloaded the software again, it issued me the same serial number I got last time. but setup fails and I have to use 3rd party uninstaller to remove the failed installation.
it had installed ok at the beginning of the year when I got my new pc but it stopped working and wont reinstall.

the worst thing is I bought LR 6 standalone perpetual license at xmas to use with CS3. (because my LR4 doesn't work with the raw files from my new camera)
the thought that I have tom pay adobe again on monthly basis is infuriating, especially has you have to buy PS and LR together, making my £120 LR6 redundant.

You may have to use the 'Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool' to completely remove the software and avoid conflicts.
Follow these two threads but beware that you may need to finally re-install your LR6 again as well, as mentioned in the 2nd thread.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2402031

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/temporary-activation-expired.html
thanks for the info and links.
I downloaded and ran 'Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool' but it found nothing to remove. I have already used a 3rd party uninstall program to remove it and it appears it was successful.

Your copy of CS3 may not work under Win10 - which I am assuming your PC now has as the OS.

If that is so you could try using it in a VM running Win 7.

And your saga is also the reason I still run an editing program which I purchased about 15 years ago for about £12.00 and it still does everything I need for general editing.

Last edited:
What error did you get when setup failed? It should be possible to get CS3 to work under Win10 - this thread covers some of the issues you might have with installing the modified version that doesn't require the activation server:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2385900

Thanks for replies petersmart and retune.

I had it working fine under win 10. But it just stopped working. Would not uninstall so I used a 3rd party program to remove it. Tried to run setup but it just crashes out of setup at about 25% with no error messages or anything.

Thanks retune I will check the link you sent me later today.

I just installed CS3 (PS and Illustrator from the Design Standard bundle) on an up to date Windows 10 laptop using the new activation-free installer and replacement serial number. It installed cleanly with no issues so far. I hadn't previously installed CS3 or any more recent Adobe package on this PC, so I suspect your problems (like those others have reported) are connected with the previous CS3 installation. You'd probably be fine with a clean copy of Windows.

For me this method is preferable to depending on an activation server - it's a return to the pre-CS days when all you needed was the serial number. But it looks like Adobe haven't dealt properly with the remnants of previous installations - using a third party uninstaller may have compounded the problem.

yes I think you might be right.
I used the info in the link but the folder was already missing. its probably something in the registry stopping the installation.

In case anyone finds this old thread in a search, it's no longer possible to re-install CS3 unless you've already downloaded the activation-free installer (which Adobe has stopped providing). See: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/adobe-haters-i-have-a-question-for-you.717477/post-8810940
So I now have to agree with torque22's original post: "I think it’s disgusting to sell such an expensive item that is perfectly good for my use, to then effectively take it back off you and expect to sell you the new hire purchase pay monthly version."

Back