Adobe Software - what and why?

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Right folks - I need some wisdom.

I'm looking at Adobe software and I don't know where to start.

I've done a bit of editing before but not a lot. I'll mainly be editing pictures of people (party shots, portraits, ballroom dancing etc) and sport (waterpolo, synchronised swimming, kayaking etc). So I guess its cropping, level adjusting and layers (although I haven't mastered them yet). I shoot in RAW so need a good converter.

The options I can see are CS4 (do I really need it!?)
Elements 7 (what can't I do in Elements that I would need CS4 for)

And also - what is all this talk of Lightroom - what does it do and would it replace the above?

Please feel free to point me in the direction of other threads with answers to these questions that I may have missed.

Cheers

Sam (y)

Lightroom is great, it loads images off your camera, stores em in a library you can browse through, and then you can do all your adjustments with it.

If you wanted photoshop just for editing your photographs i recommend just getting cs3 or cs2 off ebay!

As you shoot RAW, consider Lightroom as its really an integrated raw converter with image management system.

Photoshop Elements is fine for 80% of photographers, CS4 has lots of extra features most people never use.

Demos available for all.

:agree: I bought Elements 7 and then tried the demo of Lightroom2. Lightroom 2 is a superb image editor! I now have Elements 7 up for grabz although it has been registered in my name but will still work.

But as said try before you buy!

:plus1: for Lightroom 2

Look on Lightroom and Photoshop as two different aproaches, lightroom is great for quick basic ajustment, colour, exposure etc etc, but it can't do the clever stuff like cutting people out or swopping heads for that you really need photoshop, either elements or the full blown version, to be fair theres not much you can't do in elements, although sometimes you would have to fiddle around something the full blown version does easier.
Ideally you'd have both photoshop and lightroom, they compliment each other, if your not doing anything fancy try the trial of lightroom. Wayne

Back