Adox CMS 20

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
A mate wanted to try some Adox CMS 20 and I thought I'd join him There is a choice of exposing at ISO 12 and ISO 20, we went for 20 and processed in Adotech IV, the scary thing is the fixing time is 30 to 60 seconds :eek: anyway it worked and I am very impressed, here's a few, there will probably be more

Structure by Chris H, on Flickr

Structure by Chris H, on Flickr

I very much like the results.

The fixing time is more interesting than scary to me, because of what it suggests in terms of speed of access to the emulsion for (presumably) all the chemicals (and washing water).

I very much like the results.

The fixing time is more interesting than scary to me, because of what it suggests in terms of speed of access to the emulsion for (presumably) all the chemicals (and washing water).
Yes, Adox say that over fixing will burn out the highlights

CMS 20 is on my list to try, although it will probably be next year as I'm working my way through a bulk roll of Adox HR-50 first.
Good light helps, I'd save it for what we laughingly refer to as "summer" although I shot most of these back in March/April I think

Yes, Adox say that over fixing will burn out the highlights
I'm going to have to think about that - it's counter intuitive.

I'm going to have to think about that - it's counter intuitive.
I wonder if they are using the term "burn out" somewhat loosely and they actually just mean the highlights will be affected.

I fixed for 40 seconds, so well within their range but I noticed on shots where I had exposed for the shadows the highlights were flat, my initial assumption was that this film doesn't have much dynamic range but could possibly also be what they mean by burn-out, more like burn-in.

Fixer can dissolve the reduced silver that makes up the negative image, as well as the silver halides that it's actually employed to do. I've never noticed this effect on films, but that's probably because I'm unobservant and in any case always develop films standing at the sink, so no unnecessary delays. I DID once, as I've mentioned before, seriously overfix a print by accident, and that did show a noticeable etched effect from image loss.

If fixing times are to be so short, that does imply an extremely thin (even in film terms) emulsion layer, as also does the high resolution attribute. This could imply that the thickness of the image is less than normal, and would make the use of what is in effect a very weak general reducer more obvious on the areas of highest density, which are the highlights.

But I still haven't actually checked the textbooks - or even Adox' own data sheets.

Fixer can dissolve the reduced silver that makes up the negative image,
The highlights on the negative are the dark areas so it seems to me that removing silver from there will as you say etch the highlights. My understanding of burned out highlights is that the negative would be fully black so I think Adox's terminology is wrong, they mean etched or crushed highlights, rather than burned out. I'm probably just getting hung up on a few words

Back