Beginner Advanced compact camera or mirrorless???

Name
Jessica
Edit My Images
No
It seems like such a confusing time to be trying to buy my first beginner camera with these new superzooms with 20 MP on tiny sensors crowding the market....

A little history of my search for a beginner's hobby camera: My mother and I have been talking about getting back into photography and taking classes together for a couple of years. Neither of us have done anything since using a darkroom and film in the 90s - aside from using our iPhones. We have been looking into getting a camera to share to get us started. The problem is that I have a 1 and 4 year old and have been a little too busy with them to think about lugging around a DSLR and dealing with lens - or to help her choose a camera.

Last year someone tried to talk her into a large bridge camera but we decided against it (Fujifilm something). Then suddenly she bought a Canon SX610. She just wanted to get us something that had manual controls just to get us started and give us something better than our iPhones to take pics of the kids as well. We returned it for the SX710 and now I've been panicking and reading non-stop about sensor size and pixels. I've finally started relearning about aperture, ISO, and shutter-speed and all that and I'm hooked and want to dive in. I still think we want something smaller and simpler than a DSLR to start out but should we really be considering the top rated, but cheapest advanced compacts or mirrorless cameras?

I would say our budget is around $330. We wanted to stay in the cheaper end and put money towards our dream camera later.

I've been reading a lot about the Sony RX100 and the Sony NEX-5T, the Sony Alpha a5000, etc. It seems wise to go with a larger sensor and fewer pixels. Also, I can see some advantages in aperture over the Canon SX710. It seems like a significant difference in the zoom capabilities. From 3.8x to 8x to 30x!

I'm just at my limit of taking in on the info I can find and trying to figure out what direction to take for the price.

I want something that we can be experimental with in manual mode and learn and grow with and get good shots - but I don't want to outgrow the camera too soon!
Since I have small children and live in Colorado, my interests would likely be portraits and moving kiddos, landscapes of mountains, waterfalls, and wildflowers while hiking. It is a broad range of needs in camera capability, but a pretty set area of subject matter. Family and hiking, basically.

I would really appreciate input. I don't want to have huge regrets out of the starting gate!

Hi,

I think that one of the first things I'd do in your place is decide if I was happy shooting with just the back screen or if I'd rather use an OVF or EVF. If your prefer to use a viewfinder rather than the back screen that one decision will rule a lot of cameras without viewfinders out.

Personally I'd go for a mirrorless camera with an EVF and interchangeable lenses as that way you're not stuck with a fixed zoom and aperture range as you would be with a compact or bridge camera.

$330 isn't a lot for a new camera and lens though but if buying used you'll be able to buy something and probably a kit lens too and you could keep the costs down if you buy old manual lenses as they'd be fine as long as you have time to focus manually... but I don't know how well a $330 compact system camera and lens will cope with shooting moving children.

Thank you for your reply! Yes the viewfinder is something I thought of mentioning right after I hit post. I do think we would like to have a viewfinder. I know the price of the RX100 goes up if you want the model with the viewfinder.

I'm aware that our price point is kind of low. You make a good point about buying used and having lens and aperture choices. How do you know you're getting something in good condition then? Would we shop somewhere like Adorama?

Have you thought that for what you need then you already have the iPhone. Maybe you need a photo editing program

Have you thought that for what you need then you already have the iPhone. Maybe you need a photo editing program

I'm not sure I get your meaning. I can already see that the Canon SX710 is better than my iPhone. And it has manual modes - which is what we wanted to learn. We are going to take classes to learn to use software and to use our camera better. The camera my mother impulsively bought is definitely better than the iPhone 5 that I have. My question is whether there are hands down better choices than that in our price range. Is it better to get a larger sensor and fewer pixels? And what other aspects should we not overlook, like having a viewfinder? How much zoom is necessary? And I guess, whether it's worth it to look at a mirrorless in this low price range or not.

And I haven't even opened the RAW can of worms. The SX710 does not have RAW, but after doing some reading I think I am okay with that ... As long as the image quality is good ...

Adding to what everyone else has said, I would suggest a mirrorless system of some sort, this will give you a bigger sensor (more important in my opinion than the number of pixels.) which will give you better quality and more versatility.
Personally I would avoid superzooms as I just feel that there is to much compromise in image quality.
The best thing is that it sounds as though you want to get into the "nuts and bolts" of photography and the good news is that the principles haven't changed since the 1990's...or indeed the 1890's! :welcome:

Hi Ruby,
I was in a similar position to you a few months ago when I started this thread-
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ital-camera-with-good-manual-controls.578741/
You may find some of the responses useful.
In the end I chose a Samsung NX11 mirrorless camera with a kit lens. I've also added a wide 16mm lens too. Not the most obvious choice, but I needed a viewfinder even if only an EVF, and the combination of the thumbwheel and iFunction lens control makes it handle reasonably naturally in manual mode or indeed A or S modes too. Learning loads again and having fun. Using Lightroom is proving the steepest learning curve, but very rewarding.
By the way - don't be put off buying used. Mirrorless cameras have very few moving parts and make a safe buy if in apparent good condition.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Graham! I the more I read and relearn, and fiddle with this camera that we are going to take back, the more excited I am to get back out there.

DeadpanDodo. Thank you for the link! I am reading through it now. Have you been enjoying your camera choice since you got it?

Also, my mom and I have decided to up our price point to $500. So hopefully our search will be easier then. I would still love anybody's input on particular cameras or further explanations about the most important factors to keep in mind regarding sensor size, EVF, lens, focal range, etc. What am I forgetting here?

(I realized late last night that this is a UK based forum and I am in Colorado, US. Thanks for putting up with me everybody. ;-))

Right now I'm looking at some Sony mirrorless cameras such as a5100 and NEX-5TL and also the RX100 II, which is not mirrorless.
Fuji mirrorless hadn't been on my radar and I'm looking those over. My head is swimming.

'll check back in with further questions as they arise.

I agree with the above. But "trying" to make the choice simpler.

Lenses: If you buy just 1 lens with a mirrorless camera, you might be better off with a large sensor compact camera for compactness reasons. Some compact cameras have a wide aperture. Like 2.8. Worth having but more expensive. Large sensor compact cameras don't zoom a far as small sensor ones. But you can crop out the middle easily to the same effect. Not sure? You have to give it a go. And perhaps sell up and change when you know more. If you do choose interchangeable lenses, choose a system that has enough lenses to suit you. Micro four thirds have a large choice of lenses, but if you can find just the lens you want in another system, you that's also OK

Sensor: Small 1/2.3" Which is perfectly good for family shots in good light and with flash. But for arty pictures and low light conditions or you want to adjust them on the PC, it is limited. Next up is 1/1.7" which gives you a bit more room to make adjustments. And things get increasingly better and less "noise" and more "dynamic range" with 1" sensors, micro four thirds and APS-C.

Viewfinder: EVF or Rear Screen? Give them a try in a shop or show. EVFs, my preference, are great these days but add to the price.

Controls: Some cameras have lots of buttons and dials making it quicker to directly change settings. Others need you to go to menus on the screen more often. Which many don't like. Even with a touch screen.

Last edited:
I have the Sony A6000 mirrorless and I have been using it almost exclusively for the past 6 months while travelling (over my 2 Canon bodies). It's fantastic, have all the controls you need to start learning about and experimenting with exposures, DOFs, and taking pics of fast moving kids, etc. It also has a viewfinder and a big range of interchangeable lenses. It's also super light, so you don't have to carry a bulky DSLR around. The only thing if you do end up getting it, I would buy an additional battery and charger.
Good luck! :)

You considered a Canon 100D? It's not as compact as the mirrorless cameras but is ridiculously small for a DSLR.

You can make it as simple or compilated as you like!

As for compacts, I'm a bit partial to the fujifilm X30 due to its excellent EVF and general layout. It has a smaller sensor but don't let that put you off.

Back