Advice | Camcorder for weddings

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys

I was wondering if any of you guys can help me out?

Looking to pick up a camcorder soon with it mainly to shoot weddings.

Budget is about £1200-1400.

I was looking at a Canon XA20 and the Canon XF100.

Are there any others I should consider? Something from Sony?

I know there will be some limitations given the budget..

I already have a Nikon D750 which will be used along side the new camcorder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
BK

It's mainly the recommended settings for the camera in 50Hz (video) and 25Hz (film) modes.

The bit you're interested in is the conclusions: It's not an UltraHD camera because it's only 8 bits per pixel and has a fixed lens. It passes all the HD tests apart from a lack of HD-SDI outputs.

There's a similar document for the XF100.

It's mainly the recommended settings for the camera in 50Hz (video) and 25Hz (film) modes.

The bit you're interested in is the conclusions: It's not an UltraHD camera because it's only 8 bits per pixel and has a fixed lens. It passes all the HD tests apart from a lack of HD-SDI outputs.

There's a similar document for the XF100.

You seem to know your stuff mate.

Thanks for your input!

Is there a particular camcorder that you think would suit me for shooting weddings?

I think you'll need to think what you're going to shoot.

Bigger sensor, better low light performance but shallower depth of field. If it's going to be left alone without someone re-focusing it, then probably a smaller sensor. May be worth going to see someone like Visual Impact, CVP or Wex and asking if you can have a look at one.

Also, don't forget audio.

Yeah, I think you're right.

Probably best to try some out.

Any larger sensors I should look at? Shallower depth of field and better low light performance sounds like what I want/need.

I'm okay for audio at the moment :^)

Blackmagic, Canon AC and EOS-C, should have stuff in your price range.

It's down to workflow and ergonomics really. Eg don't shoot raw if you can't colour grade.

Personally if I were buying new then I would be considering 4K and burning on to bluray. Having said that I done a wedding a couple of months back as a friend with my Panasonic HC-V500M processed through Magix software and burnt edited recording to bluray with great results.
But I am not sure how pro you want to go...

Personally if I were buying new then I would be considering 4K...

Why? It's a bigger number?

All the scientific results show very marginal gains for some people for some shots.

Ultra HD (4k + 100 fps + HDR + wider gamut) yes, but not in the OPs price range.

Looking at the Canon XF200 now. Black Magic seems cool but not a wedding cam imo. Not really wanting to hand out Bluray discs. Not too many people have a player... including me! Lol USB drives seems the best route there.

I always anticipate the future when buying new, and of course prices. bluray and 4K and then 8K is the future, bit like video to DVD then onto bluray or one could say windows 98 to windows 10 we all need / have to move forward, People with DVDs will eventually move to bluray just because they are as cheap.
Having said that one always has the option of going back, so recordings can still be placed on DVD format.
There are 4K camcorders out there that meets the price range...

As said I done a wedding, not pro like but it was excepted, not a posh wedding but all asked for bluray, must admit I was surprised as I thought I might have been asked for some DVD format....

Good luck in your choice...

People with DVDs will eventually move to bluray just because they are as cheap.
I doubt it. Disks are on their way out. Bluray is not a growing medium.
We get all our films online. And the same cheap box plays from the USB and the LAN.

Last edited:
bluray and 4K and then 8K is the future,

It really isn't. 4k is a marketing ploy to boost TV sales

UltraHD yes, but a resolution increase by its self, definitely not.

Last edited:
Future IS.
So we all use Windows 98 do we?.
We all use Nikon D70s or Canons equivalent . Some upgrade to the newer model, Nikon D800e, Why ?, because it has the latest chip or such like.
Viewing 4K is certainly a move forward to viewing HD, I know its just an upscale but its the way forward, with China already watching 8K. netflix and Sky will be using the 4K format.
Loads of people like to watch there old new home footage on disc.
I for one and a few friends hate downloading, I especially as I live in an area where the internet is so so slow and it won't change anytime soon.

Last edited:
Future IS.
So we all use Windows 98 do we?.
We all use Nikon D70s or Canons equivalent . Some upgrade to the newer model, Nikon D800e, Why ?, because it has the latest chip or such like.
Viewing 4K is certainly a move forward to viewing HD, I know its just an upscale but its the way forward, with China already watching 8K. netflix and Sky will be using the 4K format.
Loads of people like to watch there old new home footage on disc.
I for one and a few friends hate downloading, I especially as I live in an area where the internet is so so slow and it won't change anytime soon.

OK, you win. You obviously know more than every test lab report author, the CTOs of the BBC and Discovery...

The fact is in blind tests at a normal viewing distance, most people can't see the difference. That's why UltraHD (4k + high frame rates+ higher dynamic range + larger gamut) was designed.

Having used one, the Sony AX100 is a great camera and it comes in just within your budget.

Benefits are:
  • 1" sensor (bigger than the sensor in the Canon XF/XA series)
  • 4K & 120 fps slow motion
  • Real buttons for all manual controls (no digging through menus to adjust exposure etc...)
  • Records to SD cards
It's nice and compact but has almost all the features of a pro camera for less than half the price. If I was in the market for a new camcorder, this would probably be it.

Last edited:
I find my PanasonicHC-x900M works well either inside or outside. Sound quality is excellent as well.
What you might need is an external mike with wind deflector so budget for that as well.

Last edited:
Have you thought about what camera will actually cut well with the D750? The D750 will have far superior footage in some cases so whatever second camera needs to cut well otherwise it will standout like a sore thumb. The Nikon colour science is totally different to Canon and you could have a hard time in post to match up consistently unless you want to spend hours and hours grading.

Will the camcorder be the main footage and the D750 B-cam or the other way around?

You are probably better served to get something like a Nikon D5500 which also has the flat colour profile so should make matching with the D750 a doddle. It also has a decent flip screen and can take all your Nikon lenses. Your budget event allows the D5500 and the excellent Sigma 18-35 1.8 which will allow for some amazing footage any of the camcorders mentioned won't reach.

Alternatively the GH4 along with a Speed booster and Nikon glass will allow for decent footage.

If you must have a camcorder then The Sony FDR-AX100E is a good shout to shoot the wide shots in 4K so it is pin sharp and then cut into the D750 close up footage for the DOF.

Good luck in your hunt.

Some very good points there Redlion, thank you mate.

I think a camcorder is a must for me.

Ceremonies, speeches will need to be captured in their entirety and the 20 mins on the DSLR's isn't something I want to deal with.

Not to mention zooming and such.

Really like the look of the GH4 but decided against it a while back as a camcoder seems to be much more versatile

I would imagine the camcorder will capture the bulk of the wedding and I will use the D750 for fill (slider work and as you say some shallow DOF arty shots)

In my photographic work I give quite a bit of my energy to the post side of things so I do plan on studying up on colour grading and applying it to my footage.

Need to read up some more on that Sony...

Cheers!
BK

I wouldn't discount the GH4 just yet as you can forget about silly time limits on DSLRs with the GH4. The GH4 will continuously record video until the memory card is filled or the battery runs out (whichever comes first).

The camcorders mentioned aren't that versatile in comparison to the GH4. The GH4 has much better codecs, bitrates, 4K support, slo-mo, loads of lenses to choose from, decent battery among many other things.

Have a read of this post and blog to find out more about it.

Good luck researching.

Also take a look at the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 II as you can probably get 2 of them for your budget to open up more creative freedom with more angles and easier to cut footage.

Doh!

Had a long winded retort concerning why I'm against getting myself the GH4 which never posted properly.

I'll never get that time back again lol

I've looked at getting one but with a camcorder I wouldn't need to lug my Nikon glass about to cover different focal lengths... kinda of a big deal.

Also the face recognition and zooming in and out is a plus for me.

I would think a camcorder would be a wee bit forgiving given I'm relativity new to filming?

Yes the camcorder would be a bit forgiving over DSLR shooting. You won't have to worry too much about missed focus or not getting the shot and capture the events in their entirety. The Sony is £950 here and maybe get this as your B-cam further down the line.

If you get a proper camcorder, like an xf200 or similar, you'll also have a parfocal lens and optical filter.

This makes focussing quickly and accurately a doddle.

Don't forget DSLR video recording has a time restriction on it, a camcorder does not. Something to do with licencing laws I believe

Last edited:
I find my PanasonicHC-x900M works well either inside or outside. Sound quality is excellent as well.
What you might need is an external mike with wind deflector so budget for that as well.

I read up on these and like what I see. Tempted to pick one up for small family events.

OP its a month later.. can you tell me what you got.. was it easy to use blah blah... I am in same boat as you where re complete novice.. not doing weddings but maybe football..

For football get something like the PanasonicHC-X900 or X920.

Cheers.. first review says suffers in darker enviroment.... maybe need somehting better for night matches?

Will the stadium have decent flood lights for night matches?

Getting a DSLR to shoot football is probably the wrong tool if starting out as unforgiving in focus and quickly panning the action.

For a camcorder It looks good here and here.

What is your budget? What will be the end deliverable?

If you post what exactly wanting to do in better position to help :)

Will the stadium have decent flood lights for night matches?

no

Getting a DSLR to shoot football is probably the wrong tool if starting out as unforgiving in focus and quickly panning the action.

I never even considered it.. have canon 1dx and video useless with fixed focus:(

Will have a looksy now.. thank you :)

What is your budget? What will be the end deliverable?

Current stage... should I add video to my services.. if so whats a decent cam and what price is it... then decide if outlay worth going forward.. thus no set budget.. see what cost is then decide if buiness can stand the outlay against possble work.....would be looking to offer service at football and events like boxing or even plays... I know probably too diverse.. but football and boxing would be top two

PS I am a firm believer in good equipment helps to do a good job so not looking for budget but not looking for BBC/ITV equipment either... the prices banded about so far around £1.5k arn't too scarey...

Last edited:

Quality didnt look great on first video...second video looked better but closer subjects... the waltzers made me dizzy had to fast forward haha

Your 1DX can shoot Full HD (1080p) but like I said earlier to see decent results you must pull manual focus. What lenses do you have for the Canon? Two camera angles always help so you might be better of getting a Canon camcorder like the XF100 and pair that with your 1DX? There are so many options.

Others including getting something like the GH4 or Sony A7S and using your Canon lenses with an adapter but again it needs practice over say a camcorder.

Also consider editing program, audio and lighting.

@KIPAX you might want to take a look at the Panasonic Lumix G7 that is currently on cash back offer. You could pick up two very cheaply and add some additional lenses and be good to go for well under £1500.

to give some idea of that camcorder I mentioned this video I took with it may give some idea. Not only picture quality but zoom- continous focus and sound as well. (hand held)

Last edited:
Back