Advice for a Re-enactment

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I think it;s the closest to what I need! If there is a consensus it should be somewhere else, please feel free to move it!

Anyway, Mrs Chap very kindly got me 2 days tickets to the 200th Anniv of Battle of Waterloo re-enactment in Waterloo. I'm keen to photograph this, however have no experience of this sort of togging.
I'm quite happy with taking pics of the camps etc during the day, however the 2 battle scenes will be 8pm-10pm, and I'll be watching them from a tiered stand, I'd guess anything from 100m to 500m from the action.

I have, D3100, 18-55 kit lens and a 70-300, (flash I suspect irrelevant!), I should also have access to a monopod, which I think will be more useful than my tripod , sitting in a stand.

So, considering I'm pretty much a beginner still in photography terms anyway, and a complete novice at any kind of sport / event togging, any and all advice or tips would be gratefully received! Trust me, no tip is too simplistic, the event itself will be brilliant, and right up my street
but I'd really like to be able to capture some decent pics too :)

( https://www.waterloo2015.org/en/programme this is the official site for the re-enactment )

Thanks in advance !

I'm tickled by the mere notion of the Battle of Waterloo being considered as a sporting occasion.

And here are the final scores ...

Great Britain 1 - 0 France/Spain (Trafalgar)
Great Britain/Prussia 1 - 0 France (Waterloo)

I'm tickled by the mere notion of the Battle of Waterloo being considered as a sporting occasion.

lol, I take your point, but didnt think it fitted in with People and Portraits either :D
( I'll be very surprised if it ends up Nude and Glamour :p:runaway: )

Last edited:
I think if youre high up in the stand and the battle field is floodlit you might get some really nice images if you use your widest lens to capture the whole scene

That's a point I hadn't thought about, it's mid June, so I'd assumed it would be natural light, even tho it's 8-10pm...Ill check that!

I'd thought of that, and them, looked for schedule for 2015 on their site but it wasn't up yet! Saturday would be ideal, but I'm away, otherwise I'd def have checked that out. Have also thought of practicing at racecourse, to get hang of shooting horses and the like, from stands and at some distance...
What I'd like is advice on general rules of thumb I guess, basic (I'm afraid!) tips, I'm happy using manual, and the priority modes, tho if its case that selecting sport preset is most likely to be effective, I'd give that a go.

Last edited:
Back