Beginner Advice for new member

Name
MR M J FALLON
Edit My Images
No
Good evening, all.
Just a newbie here looking for some advice, I'm looking to upgrade my camera/lenses. Currently i have a canon EOS 1100D which I purchased some 10+ years ago as a kit (75-300mm zoom lens plus a smaller standard lens).
My interests are nature photography and gundogs. I have taken pictures at gundog working tests and Field trials that I host. I am finding I get some fairly good shots and like most some not so good or blurred. I'm assuming due to not being able to focus fast enough on a moving object (mainly using the cameras auto settings). If I'm feeling adventurous, I sometimes switch to the "sport mode" with varying results.
I was really hoping for some advice on purchasing a suitable "used" lens & camera body. I have spoken to a friend who has suggested a good all-round lens would be a Canon F2.8 70-200mm lens and maybe a canon 5Dmk4? What are people's thoughts on this? Do you have any other suggestions that may help.
Thank you in advance.
Mark

Evening and welcome.

Probably first question is what is your budget, followed by whether you're committed to Canon or not?

Camera tech is rapidly moving, and focussing systems are getting faster and more accurate, sensors produce less noise than they used to while holding shadow detail better. There's nothing wrong with a DSLR camera, but the world has gone mirrorless and the older systems are no longer being developed. This can be good, because older kit is cheaper to buy, but investing in older kit will make the change more expensive IF you decide to do it later.

Good evening, all.
Just a newbie here looking for some advice, I'm looking to upgrade my camera/lenses. Currently i have a canon EOS 1100D which I purchased some 10+ years ago as a kit (75-300mm zoom lens plus a smaller standard lens).
My interests are nature photography and gundogs. I have taken pictures at gundog working tests and Field trials that I host. I am finding I get some fairly good shots and like most some not so good or blurred. I'm assuming due to not being able to focus fast enough on a moving object (mainly using the cameras auto settings). If I'm feeling adventurous, I sometimes switch to the "sport mode" with varying results.
I was really hoping for some advice on purchasing a suitable "used" lens & camera body. I have spoken to a friend who has suggested a good all-round lens would be a Canon F2.8 70-200mm lens and maybe a canon 5Dmk4? What are people's thoughts on this? Do you have any other suggestions that may help.
Thank you in advance.
Mark

Would you be able to post a few of the photos you are not happy with? It could help eliminate if it's settings/technique first before committing to new gear.

Good evening, all.
Thank you in advance.
Mark
'New' gear in and of itself is not a cure-all for improvement of image taking.
Would you be able to post a few of the photos you are not happy with? It could help eliminate if it's settings/technique first before committing to new gear.
:agree: :plus1:

By sharing some images both ones you are happy with and others that you are unhappy/challenged by will hopefully yield valuable insights.......some of which will relate to camera craft and technique.

Plus, by showing us the images with some context may or not not reveal deficiencies in the functions available in your current camera.

The received wisdom about buying a "better" camera is IMO always about, what is it and in what way is your current camera holding you back? Next, what do you perceive about the "better" camera will improve your results?

'New' gear in and of itself is not a cure-all for improvement of image taking.

I largely agree with this but a camera that has more focus points and a faster auto focus system, more fps and a lens better than the cheap kit 75-300 it definitely going to improve your images provided your technique is right.

The 70-200 is a cracking lens and will be a huge improvement over what the OP has currently and the 5d4 is a superb camera.....BUT.....is the OP going a step too far by looking at a camera like the 5D4. This is a professional camera and does not have the comfort zones of Sport, Portrait etc (does it even have Auto, I can't remember). If the OP doesn't know how to shoot in the Manual or Semi Auto modes the 5D4 isn't going to help him get better photos.

I largely agree with this but a camera that has more focus points and a faster auto focus system, more fps and a lens better than the cheap kit 75-300 it definitely going to improve your images provided your technique is right.

The 70-200 is a cracking lens and will be a huge improvement over what the OP has currently and the 5d4 is a superb camera.....BUT.....is the OP going a step too far by looking at a camera like the 5D4. This is a professional camera and does not have the comfort zones of Sport, Portrait etc (does it even have Auto, I can't remember). If the OP doesn't know how to shoot in the Manual or Semi Auto modes the 5D4 isn't going to help him get better photos.
Granted! I used to use Canon and my last body was the 5D3, a superb body but could never justify f2.8 lenses and the weight of all the gear was literally getting me down. So, I now use Olympus kit.

Though, in the case as @Mark snaphappy without more example context we have no way of knowing anything about his camera craft.

NB his current body is a crop and the 5D4 is of course full frame.... so if he is currently frame filling with his current setup he will likely be unhappy with just how short the max 200mm of the suggested lens?

Hopefully the OP will return with some images as suggested and his descriptions of what he wants to improve?

PS Many moons ago I learned of a guy who had more money than sense IMO, he was getting on ok with his camera but decided because Pros used it to buy a Nikon F4 later saying it was "as bad as his old camera......as it didn't take better photos...." IIRC he lost it on a train and never carried on with his photography.

thanks for your reply. I was trying to post some pictures on my post but couldnt work out how to do it just for that reason. still not sure how to post a picture form my files on my PC ?

Evening all,
Thanks so much for your feedback and advise, everyone's comments have been very helpful, and I think I have managed to work out how to attach a file (I did try it last night but would not work?) So just trying to upload a few now although I now have to make the file smaller as its too large.
I'm sure I will work it out shortly and attach some pictures.
Regarding camera/lens choice I'm really looking for something that's slightly newer and more suited for wildlife gundogs/handlers. As I host Gundog field trials around Scotland and attend many more with my wife who competes her dogs I'm often in a "front line" position to get some pictures of competitors and their dogs. This I do whenever I can, whilst I share the pictures with all the competitors and am more than happy for them to copy them and have a memento of their day personally, I feel some of the pictures are not as crisp and clear as I would like. As some of you have stated it probably is down to me rather than the equipment, obviously using the Auto setting doesn't guarantee a good picture. I find that sometimes I think I have the perfect shot only to see later that a few wisps of grass or reeds are perfectly focussed but the dog/handler/bird/rabbit is blurred, again I'm assuming this is down to my settings??
I'm going to try now and add some pictures, some I'm happy with some I'm not, hopefully some of you can offer advise.
Thank you

To upload an image it must be no more than 1024 pixels on the long side and less than 500kb.

You may be better off with a free Flickr account and then embedding the images from that.

You will need to use BB code to embed the images.

Last edited:
Worked out how to put them on, First one is a springer taken November this year at a trial, the second is a clumber taken and a working test taking in June I think, the springer with the pheasant was taken at the same trial as the first springer along with the pheasant in flight, this was not far away from me maybe 35 feet or so flying back, I just couldn't seem to get on it and focussed in time? the little liver cocker spaniel is one of my wife's dogs whilst out training about four months ago, and the last one is of four of my wife's cocker spaniels taken during the summer whilst walking along the river bank. All feedback is welcome, the camera setting would have all been auto apart from probably the spaniel carrying the hen phesant and the cock pheasant flying. I think I would have switched it to the symbol that shows the little man running (sport mode?).
Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• resized springer.jpg
    resized springer.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 29
  • resize clumber.jpg
    resize clumber.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 30
  • springer with hen resize.jpg
    springer with hen resize.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 28
  • pheasant resize.jpg
    pheasant resize.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 28
  • cybil resized.jpg
    cybil resized.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 29
  • cockers resized.jpg
    cockers resized.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 29
IIRC the 75-300 is not an IS lens so your going to need a high shutter speed to freeze acion and camara shake. I never use the various modes I just stick to aperture priority shutter priority or manual. You can also select a single focus point to help with focus on the subject and use AI servo to keep the subject in focus. Auto ISO may help but watch it doesnt go very high or noise will be a problem

Just a few pointers which may help.

Worked out how to put them on, First one is a springer taken November this year at a trial, the second is a clumber taken and a working test taking in June I think, the springer with the pheasant was taken at the same trial as the first springer along with the pheasant in flight, this was not far away from me maybe 35 feet or so flying back, I just couldn't seem to get on it and focussed in time? the little liver cocker spaniel is one of my wife's dogs whilst out training about four months ago, and the last one is of four of my wife's cocker spaniels taken during the summer whilst walking along the river bank. All feedback is welcome, the camera setting would have all been auto apart from probably the spaniel carrying the hen phesant and the cock pheasant flying. I think I would have switched it to the symbol that shows the little man running (sport mode?).
Thanks
Mark
What do you mean by ‘auto’?
Sorry to sound pedantic, but there are tons of parameters on the camera that can be set to ‘auto’ but there isn’t an auto mode.
Do I assume green box (P) mode?
Which AF mode are you using?

I think it’s technique rather than gear (though obviously better gear can help prop up technique)

I’ve no idea which focus system the 1100d uses, but your subjects are indeed challenging (I wouldn’t expect a high keeper rate with a low end dslr for those subjects), it’s just too much to ask.

That said; I wouldn’t think a 5dIV is the best answer either. Particularly shooting at this distance, swapping a 300mm on crop (480 equiv) for a 200mm on full frame more than halves your reach.

To improve AF performance, I’d recommend spending on a 7d2 or older 1d or indeed a new mirrorless crop

As for your images, whilst there’s some challenging subjects, the 2 that stand out as ‘mistakes’ are the first and last, the first is shot against too busy a background with the light spot on the right competing with the subject.
The last is just ruined by flare, always use a lens hood, and if you have a filter attached, bin it. You could possibly improve both significantly in lightroom but we ought to always try to ensure what comes out of the camera is as good as possible.

Sorry to sound pedantic, but there are tons of parameters on the camera that can be set to ‘auto’ but there isn’t an auto mode.
P is Program, Green Box is Auto. Not too clued up on Canon but the difference with other brands is that Green/Auto not only selects the exposure settings but also chooses the focus point, whereas in P you can select the focus mode/point.

but there isn’t an auto mode.
The Canon 1100d is an entry level camera and certainly does have an auto mode.

P is Program, Green Box is Auto. Not too clued up on Canon but the difference with other brands is that Green/Auto not only selects the exposure settings but also chooses the focus point, whereas in P you can select the focus mode/point.
Unlike Full Auto (green square) mode, program mode lets you set a range of different camera functions, including ISO value, white balance, colour space, focus mode, metering mode, exposure compensation and flash control. Full Auto is a point-and-shoot mode.

Last edited:
Which AF mode are you using?

I think it’s technique rather than gear (though obviously better gear can help prop up technique)

I’ve no idea which focus system the 1100d uses, but your subjects are indeed challenging (I wouldn’t expect a high keeper rate with a low end dslr for those subjects), it’s just too much to ask.

That said; I wouldn’t think a 5dIV is the best answer either. Particularly shooting at this distance, swapping a 300mm on crop (480 equiv) for a 200mm on full frame more than halves your reach.

To improve AF performance, I’d recommend spending on a 7d2 or older 1d or indeed a new mirrorless crop

As for your images, whilst there’s some challenging subjects, the 2 that stand out as ‘mistakes’ are the first and last, the first is shot against too busy a background with the light spot on the right competing with the subject.
The last is just ruined by flare, always use a lens hood, and if you have a filter attached, bin it. You could possibly improve both significantly in lightroom but we ought to always try to ensure what comes out of the camera is as good as possible.
Thanks for your feedback and advise Phil,
Yes the little green box is auto on my camera, I will certainly look into the cameras that you have advised, could you advise a lens to start me off with as well? sorry for all the questions I'm just wanting to try and achieve the best pictures I can and appreciate that trial and error is all part of the learning process. By reading comments its evident that the camera settings are a major part of achieving quality shots?.
I will certainly be picking members brains and asking advise (often).
Thank you all again for taking the time to explain and offer advise for a beginner.
Mark

Yes the little green box is auto on my camera, I will certainly look into the cameras that you have advised, could you advise a lens to start me off with as well? sorry for all the questions I'm just wanting to try and achieve the best pictures I can and appreciate that trial and error is all part of the learning process. By reading comments its evident that the camera settings are a major part of achieving quality shots?.
Thank you all again for taking the time to explain and offer advise for a beginner.
Mark
Yes to the bit I have made bold ;)

In regard to settings, the Shutter Speed, Aperture & ISO settings are all part of the exposure triangle....so a little reading for you....

HTH:)

My interests are nature photography and gundogs. I have taken pictures at gundog working tests and Field trials that I host. I am finding I get some fairly good shots and like most some not so good or blurred. I'm assuming due to not being able to focus fast enough on a moving object...
I photograph sheepdog trials and the main thing to remember is having a fast enough shutter speed to avoid blurry dogs. At least 1/1000th sec. as a generalisation. Getting the dogs in sharp focus is another matter!

Good evening, all.
Thank you in advance.
Mark

I started off with the same bundle as you have, the 1100D has 9 focus points. I use to do a lot of airshows many years ago so used the 75-300mm for a while till I got my head round my 1100D, instead of getting a better camera I got the 70-200mm f4 IS lens which was a damn sight better than the kit one, then after a few years I upgraded to another Canon the 70D still an old camera but better than the 1100D and for moving subjects I always used AL SERVO.

Just a little bit on modes.

I use aperture priority until the light brings the shutter speed down too far and then I switch to manual mode and dial in appropriate aperture and shutter speed settings and let auto ISO take care of the rest.

Hope you get some kit to suite you sorted Mark but in your place I'd go mirrorless if at all possible for the many advantages it brings. Good luck choosing and don't forget to come back, let sus know what you buy and of course post some pictures.

Mark
My general advice for newbies is to concentrate on making pictures.

This doesn’t mean using green box or the awful scene modes, where the camera makes educated guesses about what you’re trying to achieve and where it’s impossible for you to know what you can do to improve.

So start with either AV or TV and auto iso, let the camera look after the exposure, but you need to learn the focus system and how to control it, and to choose whether to prioritise control of depth of field or control of shutter speed.

It really is quite straightforward.

I don’t think you need better kit to improve on your photography, because you’ve barely started to learn to use your existing kit.

But if you do feel the need for better kit, you need to think about what exactly you need to improve on.

As you’ll see, mirrorless is the current norm, I wouldn’t advise an investment in a dslr for someone at the beginning of their journey

Back