Advice on a 3 camera setup + audio please

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi , Toying with the idea of obtaining a 3 camera recording system with audio for youtube videos

I would like to be able to switch between the 3 cameras . Also have a video mike separate from the cameras ( Attached to me ) and then be able to put a production together ready for uploading onto youtube , Sounds easy , however it will be a challenge for me as I am not a tech head but willing to learn . I have also seen on the tube that some people add the audio after recording the video ? is that a possibility ?

Thanks

Suggest three cameras recording separately and then switch and edit the footage together afterwards with an editing program. Also a separate audio recorder and add the audio track to the edited video.

Yes it is possible to add audio afterwards, just a matter of getting it in sync. It is helpful to have the cameras record audio as well as it will make the task a bit easier.

Load the video plus its audio into a track in your editor, add another track for the sound recorder, load that, then shift the sound track back and forth to sync with the camera audio, then mute the sound track from the video input, when it matches (ie no echo)

Some editing packages will make a good fist of syncing clips of the same event with a sound file. (e.g. FCPX)

It can help to have a clicker (like a dog trainer) to click at the start and the end of the recording, helping to match up the sound.

For sync I usually use pluraleyes but premiere has some sound sync stuff that's meant to be better.
If you can timecode on your 3 cameras and audio recorder then you are golden.

I pretty much always record sound off camera, I had a zoom h4n but now use a tascam, it's basically the same but I can monitor levels on an ipad wirlessly

I've done some multi-cam video's and found the easiest way was to use the audio from the cameras to sync each track( FCPX does this easily. I use a master audio track in the sync facility . I then have the ability to switch between views but use the master track for the audio. May seem to be a bit complicated but with FCPX it isn't . If sync isn't quiet right ( I've not had this problem) you can nudge he errant track to match up before committing to output . Ripple Training do an excellent on line course on Multi-cam

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

FCP has the ability to sync audio if you use the built in camera audio too.

I would have all 3 cameras recording simultaneously and then switch to the one you want in post :)

Back