Beginner Advice on a camera best for horses galloping and the outdoors life

Name
Marcus
Edit My Images
No
Hi all I'm new to the camera world

I'm wanting to get a DSLR as I ride race horses and want to get some snaps of them galloping just wanted to know what sort of camera you guys would advise me on.

Thanks Marcus

Hi all I'm new to the camera world

I'm wanting to get a DSLR as I ride race horses and want to get some snaps of them galloping just wanted to know what sort of camera you guys would advise me on.

Thanks Marcus

Welcome to TP first of all.

what a wide open question you pose. virtually any DSLR will do the job.

When considering buying a camera there are several basic questions you need to think about
1 cost of camera
2 adding lens costs
3 memory card costs and that is a subject on its own with MB/s and GB (look that up)
4 camera support mono or tripod
5 type of head - ball -fluid- geared -pistol grip etc
6 Tripod load carrying capacity
7 full frame or crop sensor camera
8 spare batteries

Now you get some idea of what you are asking. let alone camera make. New-used or grey import to add to the mix.

this may give you some idea as to costs

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

best take a trip to a proper camera shop, not one of those retail outlet types and get to hold one and find out if it is what you are looking for.

What would I suggest? I would go for a mid range price bracket one , that way you won't in future be wanting to upgrade because a basic DSLR may not suit your needs

Last edited:
Thanks realspeed

And my budget would be around 600 / 700

As I'd like to keep it and not have to upgrade any time soon thank you guys for your advice

With a £700 budget, I’d spend £400 on a 70-200 quality lens, the Reston a s/h enthusiast camera and kit lens.

You’ll always have a desire to upgrade your camera, however... it lessens if you don’t start with a’beginner’ camera (they’re literally designedto be outgrown). And spending on a decent lens for your desired purpose will mean that never needs upgrading.

Canon wise, a 70-200 f4 IS, is anything from £475 to £650 used. I've used a Canon 50d for cantering and galloping horses, a used one of those is about £100 to £200.

Canon wise, a 70-200 f4 IS, is anything from £475 to £650 used. I've used a Canon 50d for cantering and galloping horses, a used one of those is about £100 to £200.

There is one on MBP for £370, pretty cheap

Here’s what I’d get if shooting Canon (no idea what Nikon is closer)
Canon 60d or 7d, 18-55 is kit lens
Canon 70-200 f4

You’ll get that for £700 from mpb and it’ll outperform any brand new gear you’d get for your budget.

Back