Advice on Barn Owls.

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Help :)
So a friend of mine has about 50 Ish acres of land with a few hedge rows, caravan on site near a barn he has recently built. He says he regularly sees a barn owl taking shelter there, apparently it's pretty shy.
I'm wondering what would be best in terms of being able to photograph it? I could set up a hide in the hedge line just opposite the barn and wait but I'm wondering what times would be best etc. any help would be great. Thanks :)

From a distance watch which fenceposts/perches the Barnie prefers.You can also check below them for pellets which is the non digestible parts of prey that is regurgitated periodically.Early evening is best and you can see from where he exits the Barn and what fields he prefers to hunt.
With all Wildlife to get results you need research.Once you have all this info you can then set up either in cover that is already there or in a portable hide of some sort in position to get him either hunting or feeding.Try to position the hide though between the expected location of your subject and the setting sun.This will maximise the low light that is available this time of year and to be seen the Barnie will have to look into thew sun.
Hope this helps Carl.

Mike Warburton said:
From a distance watch which fenceposts/perches the Barnie prefers.You can also check below them for pellets which is the non digestible parts of prey that is regurgitated periodically.Early evening is best and you can see from where he exits the Barn and what fields he prefers to hunt.
With all Wildlife to get results you need research.Once you have all this info you can then set up either in cover that is already there or in a portable hide of some sort in position to get him either hunting or feeding.Try to position the hide though between the expected location of your subject and the setting sun.This will maximise the low light that is available this time of year and to be seen the Barnie will have to look into thew sun.
Hope this helps Carl.

This does help lots. Im going to set the hide up where he's feeding... when i find out of course :) Thanks :)

I suggest getting in contact with this group -

http://www.bocn.org/map.asp

Their advice is going to be more conservation based than photographic, but if your friend is keen on encouraging the barn owls to nest, this place could be useful and anything that helps the conservation is a good thing and likely to lead to more photographic opportunities.

BTW Barn Owls have a high level of legal protection -

http://www.bocn.org/factfile_detail.asp?id=38#

Dave

Back