Beginner Advice on best camera

Name
Chloe
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I’m looking at getting a DSLR on a bit of a budget £500 around about.

My main aim is to take portraits of little girl and friends children.

Any advice welcome, I’ve dabbled in the past bit only on a cheap digi camera and I was mainly a landscape pics

Look at a used camera and lens, you get so much more for your money. Even when buying from a business, trader, shop etc.
I'm not going to give you advice on which camera to buy, just because my only real experience is with Canon camera's, so it would only be a bit of a biased view.
Any camera (dslr, mirrorless) from the last 5-6 or no more years, would be fine.
I'll leave it to the other to fight it out, as to which manufacturer is best.

Thank you for your response I’ll do that, tbf I have personally been looking at cannons

Cannons are guns. Wouldn't point that at a little girl or her friends. Moms and dads may get a little upset. Canon is the correct spelling. A good line of dslr cameras. But, I was wondering why does the camera have to be a DSLR? If you have played with a simple compact or point and shoot camera before, you may be happier with a mirrorless, interchangeable lens camera. It would be similar in form and weight to the camera you previously used. Or you could even go with a camera like Sony's RX100 which has the same sensor as cropped sensor (APS-C) DSLR cameras, but is a compact or fixed lens camera. My suggestion is that before you do anything like looking at prices or shopping on the Web, you go to a camera shop and hold these various cameras. Ask all the questions you can think of to the salesperson. Then make up your mind about the form or type of camera you want. A DSLR is a very different animal compared to the compact or point and shoot camera you have had previous experience with. Best of luck.

Cannons are guns. Wouldn't point that at a little girl or her friends. Moms and dads may get a little upset. Canon is the correct spelling. A good line of dslr cameras. But, I was wondering why does the camera have to be a DSLR? If you have played with a simple compact or point and shoot camera before, you may be happier with a mirrorless, interchangeable lens camera. It would be similar in form and weight to the camera you previously used. Or you could even go with a camera like Sony's RX100 which has the same sensor as cropped sensor (APS-C) DSLR cameras, but is a compact or fixed lens camera. My suggestion is that before you do anything like looking at prices or shopping on the Web, you go to a camera shop and hold these various cameras. Ask all the questions you can think of to the salesperson. Then make up your mind about the form or type of camera you want. A DSLR is a very different animal compared to the compact or point and shoot camera you have had previous experience with. Best of luck.
The rx100 series has a 1inch sensor not apsc

My suggestion is that before you do anything like looking at prices or shopping on the Web, you go to a camera shop and hold these various cameras. Ask all the questions you can think of to the salesperson. Then make up your mind about the form or type of camera you want. A DSLR is a very different animal compared to the compact or point and shoot camera you have had previous experience with. Best of luck.

You really cannot get better advice than that. You need to hold the various types of camera and decide what (physical) size of camera suits you and your hands. You then can have a chat with the salesperson on lens etc to shoot portraits. (If possible try and pick a day/time when the shop is not too busy). Then go home and think about it all. Then check on line for used cameras (MPB is a good site to check) or new (Camerapricebuster website). Other websites are available!

Good luck and come back and tell us how you get on.

Look at Lumix micro 4/3. Much lighter & more compact.

The best camera is the one in your hand. Choosing a camera is up to the individual and what they are happy with. Everyone has their own opinion mainly because it is what they use and used to.
1 look at cameras in a decent shop
2 hold them in the hand to see if they are comfortable and control easy to get at
3 look at the price
4 see the cost of extras ie lenses
5 consider only a choice of 3 or 4

6 ignore the above completely and get the one you first wanted

I would look at Sony RX100s, if video is an interest get the mkV, used if need be.

The best camera is the one in your hand. Choosing a camera is up to the individual and what they are happy with. Everyone has their own opinion mainly because it is what they use and used to.
1 look at cameras in a decent shop
2 hold them in the hand to see if they are comfortable and control easy to get at
3 look at the price
4 see the cost of extras ie lenses
5 consider only a choice of 3 or 4

6 ignore the above completely and get the one you first wanted

^^ This !!! (maybe without 6 !!!) If its not comfortable to hold/use/carry, it will rapidly become a £500 doorstop!!! Go to a decent bricks and mortar shop and handle a few. If you say where you are located I'm sure you'll receive some suggestions of where to go.

Back