Advice on best Canon SLR

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone I'm looking for some advice, i currently have a Canon 600d SLR but am looking to upgrade, Ive been looking at the Canon 7D MKII and the Canon 70D, i photograph Aviation and Wildlife and am just wondering what would be the best one out of these two, also id like recommendations on any other Canon SLR's which you guys could recommend, any help and advice would be much appreciated. :)

First off, what issues are you seeing with your current body? What do you think a newer body will give you.
What lenses do you have?

Im hoping to get a lot more detail and better focusing as they have more focusing points, i have a Canon 100-400mm which i use mostly but am looking at buying the sigma 150-600 mm

For aviation photography get the best crop sensor you can! Full frame lenses are expensive!

And don't use a teleconvrrtor! They don't help resolution

Last edited:
I think the choice is 7dII, 80d, 70d depending on budget.

The IQ (and a few other things) may even be slightly better on the 80d than the 7dII, but the 70d is a bargain atm.

Thankyou all so far for your advice, will have a look and see what sort of prices these go for :)

For aviation photography get the best crop sensor you can! Full frame lenses are expensive!

He'd be using the same tele lenses no matter what (he's into aviation photography). There are no long crop only tele lenses!

The 7D2 and the Sigma 150-600 is a nice set up.

I can't comment on the other bodies as I've never used them. The 150-600 Sport is VERY heavy and you need a decent body to balance it.

The 7D2 and the Sigma 150-600 is a nice set up.

I can't comment on the other bodies as I've never used them. The 150-600 Sport is VERY heavy and you need a decent body to balance it.
Or the 150-600 contemporary, which is slightly lighter?

He'd be using the same tele lenses no matter what (he's into aviation photography). There are no long crop only tele lenses!

I took it to mean that a 600mm lens is somewhat more expensive than a 400mm one (without getting into a debate about crop factors etc etc)

im definitely interested in the 7d mk2 and the 80d, which one would be the best out of the two also i will be buying the Sigma 150-600 c so will this lens be suitable, sorry if i sound sill but do these both have crop sensors etc as i was finding it hard finding information on this, thank you again for everyones time. :)

im definitely interested in the 7d mk2 and the 80d, which one would be the best out of the two also i will be buying the Sigma 150-600 c so will this lens be suitable, sorry if i sound sill but do these both have crop sensors etc as i was finding it hard finding information on this, thank you again for everyones time. :)
Yes they both have crop sensors.

The 7dII is a bit more 'pro spec' with a great AF system, and very fast shooting rate, it's more rugged and better weather sealed.

The 80d has a new sensor giving better image quality, it has a rear articulating touch screen, brilliant AF for video, built in WIFI and GPS.

They both have their strengths, it depends on your priorities.

Thank you for your help, its really a tough call and I'm stuck between the two.

Bare in mind the 80D will AF at f8 across 27(?) Points, which means it will allow a teleconverter to be added to your lens setup for greater length for less cost.
Matt

As Phil says, they're both crop sensor bodies, so you've no issues there.

The 7D mkii will be a slightly larger body than the 80D as both will be over your 600D...Personally, I would look at the spec of each and see if 1 does something you like the other doesn't (a mate upgraded from the 450D to the 60D when it came out, one of the main things he liked on the 60D - for him - was the screen being able to tilt / move etc and the larger body, which at that time, swung it for him over the other model he was considering),

I'd strongly recommend you try to have a hold / look at both together in the same shop so you can see if you prefer the feel / hold of 1 of them...good luck with your search and enjoy your new toy when you get it. :)

Im hoping to get a lot more detail and better focusing as they have more focusing points, i have a Canon 100-400mm which i use mostly but am looking at buying the sigma 150-600 mm

Fair enough, the 100-400 on a xxxD body makes the body look small and it can be difficult to balance/hold the 100-400.

Sigma 150-600 gives you the longer reach, but I've not found an issue with the 100-400 with canon 1.4 x tc. Mostly though the 100-400 is good enough as generally the planes fly close enough. With a 1.4tc you will get to f8 so check to see if your body autofocusses at f8 (some do) if not you're at manual focus.

Sigma 150-600 is heavy so it might be worth considering a monopod as well

thank you for your help, I'm not too sure yet wether to sell my canon 100-400mm or keep it once i get my sigma, the sigma will be ok with a 7dmk2 as this is the camera I'm swaying too :)

Sigma 150-600 gives you the longer reach, but I've not found an issue with the 100-400 with canon 1.4 x tc. Mostly though the 100-400 is good enough as generally the planes fly close enough. With a 1.4tc you will get to f8 so check to see if your body autofocusses at f8 (some do) if not you're at manual focus.

Sigma 150-600 is heavy so it might be worth considering a monopod as well

I currently have a Sigma 150-600 and a Canon 100-400ii and I will always pick up the Canon 100-400 when I'm going out these days. I've not got a TC yet but I find the results from the canon superior and the fact the lens is much more compact and lighter means it is a clear winner for me. The sigma is getting sold!

Last edited:
I currently have a Sigma 150-500 and a Canon 100-400ii and I will always pick up the Canon 100-400 when I'm going out these days. I've not got a TC yet but I find the results from the canon superior and the fact the lens is much more compact and lighter means it is a clear winner for me. The sigma is getting sold!

I love my 100-400 so much - I've got two (bought another for my sons 600D)

Thankfully I have put put my canon 100-400mm up for sale yet :D I just need that extra reach which I can't seem to get tan with the canon which is why I considered the sigma over the tamron as the sigma can be fine tuned etc using the dock that you can buy seperatley, I'm still a novice when it comes to all this but I've started going out a lot more and taking pictures :)

I currently have a Sigma 150-500 and a Canon 100-400ii and I will always pick up the Canon 100-400 when I'm going out these days. I've not got a TC yet but I find the results from the canon superior and the fact the lens is much more compact and lighter means it is a clear winner for me. The sigma is getting sold!
I think the OP was thinking of getting the new Sigma 150-600 C, not the 150-500?

Last edited:
I use the 7Dmkii and the Sigma 150-600 C and can't fault it. I've also used it with a Canon 1.4 TC with pretty decent results.
The 7Dmkii will autofocus at f8 albeit only on the center focus point.

either of the sigmas will be a good combo with a 7d2 ,take care though with the 70d as i had one i used coupled to the sigma sport and had nothing but problems with the a/f so much so that i sold it in the end ,its definitely not the lens as that been used on lots of other cameras with no problem .,i have access to within our camera mad house a 350D,7Dmk1,2 x 7Dmk2's ,5D ,and my 1Dmk3 it works perfectly on any of those plus a mates 1D mk4 .so the fault definitely was with the 70d ,and even a canon rep at the photo show admitted they had problems with the a/f on them

Just won a sigma 150-600mm c on eBay for £640 plus I bought the dock for £40 quite happy but nervous at the same time :) I've definitely got my heart set on the 7d mk2, can't seem to find any decent ones on eBay atm but will keep checking, you certainly have a lot of cameras :) might even keep my 600d as a backup spare etc as they don't seem to get a lot for them, really looking forward to the extra reach with the lens tho :D

I think the OP was thinking of getting the new Sigma 150-600 C, not the 150-500?
Typing fail on my part, I have the 150-600 that he is considering getting. I'll update my message

Back