Advice on Elinchrom light modifiers

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
I'm shortly going to buy a couple of light modifiers for two Elinchrom monolights. I need one beauty dish/octabox and one striplight. The latter will generally be used for accent/side lighting but I'd want the option to use it as a fill light too.

I've found some Pixapro options that look both well made and well priced, but as it's going to be a one-time purchase I'm also considering the more expensive Elinchrom Snaplux Portrait Kit. The thing that's perturbing me, though, is that the interior of the octabox is white whilst that of the striplight is silver (I've actually just confirmed this with somebody at The Flash Centre, who also though it a bit weird). This has surely got to result in slightly different quality of light from each, and potentially a different colour cast, or am I worrying over nothing?

It's making me veer back towards the Pixapro units, both of which are white (and are half the price). Any thoughts/experiences to help me make a decision?

IMO, those Elinchrom modifiers are on the small side for studio strobes. And I would generally avoid buying "kits;" it's usually better to buy purpose made individually.

You really have to start with what is going to be lit, and what the goal is; a larger modifier can always be made smaller (masked), but a smaller modifier can't be made larger. And the whole "size/distance" thing with modifiers isn't really how it works... that's a lot like the "zoom with your feet" thing is for prime lenses.

The general rule for the size of a diffusion modifier is a square; where the size of the modifier (i.e. long edge) is the same as the area to be lit (i.e. subject height), and they make up opposite sides of the square... the distance between the modifier and subject make up the top/bottom sides of the square (i.e. distance = long edge).
That's the "soft light" formula... if you then use the modifier at even shorter distances you get softer/more translucent lighting with rapid falloff. And if you use it at longer distances you get harder light with little falloff... beyond ~ 3x distance there is little benefit to using a diffusion modifier at all (other than spill control).

Last edited:
IMO, those Elinchrom modifiers are on the small side for studio strobes. And I would generally avoid buying "kits;" it's usually better to buy purpose made individually.

You really have to start with what is going to be lit, and what the goal is; a larger modifier can always be made smaller (masked), but a smaller modifier can't be made larger. And the whole "size/distance" thing with modifiers isn't really how it works... that's a lot like the "zoom with your feet" thing is for prime lenses.

The general rule for the size of a diffusion modifier is a square; where the size of the modifier (i.e. long edge) is the same as the area to be lit (i.e. subject height), and they make up opposite sides of the square... the distance between the modifier and subject make up the top/bottom sides of the square (i.e. distance = long edge).
That's the "soft light" formula... if you then use the modifier at even shorter distances you get softer/more translucent lighting with rapid falloff. And if you use it at longer distances you get harder light with little falloff... beyond ~ 3x distance there is little benefit to using a diffusion modifier at all (other than spill control).
Thanks very much, but I'm going to be using the kit for headshots on location in the main; size won't be an issue and portability is key. What I really want to know is whether mixing white and silver is going to cause a problem, so if anyone can help with that I'd be grateful.

Thanks very much, but I'm going to be using the kit for headshots on location in the main; size won't be an issue and portability is key. What I really want to know is whether mixing white and silver is going to cause a problem, so if anyone can help with that I'd be grateful.
It shouldn't... unless the white is significantly off from white (not likely IMO). Mainly, the silver should be slightly more efficient. Mixing them with ambient will be more of an issue/dissimilarity.

Last edited:
Thanks very much, but I'm going to be using the kit for headshots on location in the main; size won't be an issue and portability is key.

Of course size is an issue when it comes to headshots. I wouldn't use them, too small.

Mostly for things like headshots I use 1m -1.5 softboxes. Now I do have a 60cm softbox as well (same size as in this kit) quite honestly its crap for generalised use, because its too small and you get too much light fall off. However I use it specifically for that reason in certain setups when I specifically want light fall off. Its difficult to pull off, because it can so easily look look like an amateur image. Its needs lots of careful angles and multi layered light blending, with a multi light setup.

To answer your question silver gives more sparkle, white is flatter. Personally most of the time with people photography I use silver because I like the extra touch of glamour, but sometimes I use gold for a warmer effect. White is very neutral. I rarely use it with people, but its great for still products and lifestyle.

All different modifiers for different jobs.

Of course size is an issue when it comes to headshots. I wouldn't use them, too small.

Mostly for things like headshots I use 1m -1.5 softboxes. Now I do have a 60cm softbox as well (same size as in this kit) quite honestly its crap for generalised use, because its too small and you get too much light fall off. However I use it specifically for that reason in certain setups when I specifically want light fall off. Its difficult to pull off, because it can so easily look look like an amateur image. Its needs lots of careful angles and multi layered light blending, with a multi light setup.

To answer your question silver gives more sparkle, white is flatter. Personally most of the time with people photography I use silver because I like the extra touch of glamour, but sometimes I use gold for a warmer effect. White is very neutral. I rarely use it with people, but its great for still products and lifestyle.

All different modifiers for different jobs.
I'm toying with the idea of going all silver, actually. Unfortunately trying before I buy isn't an attractive option these days, though.

On the subject of softbox size, I hear what you say and am beginning to be swung around to the view that 60cm is bordering on being too small. Perhaps I'll just go for an alternative option (Pixapro or similar) and get a 90cm octabox or beauty dish plus a striplight.

I'm toying with the idea of going all silver, actually. Unfortunately trying before I buy isn't an attractive option these days, though.

On the subject of softbox size, I hear what you say and am beginning to be swung around to the view that 60cm is bordering on being too small. Perhaps I'll just go for an alternative option (Pixapro or similar) and get a 90cm octabox or beauty dish plus a striplight.
A 90cm octa and a BD are very different things...
IMO, for location headshots (corporate type) bounce umbrellas and snoot/barn doors make just as much sense; and they are easier to carry/set up.

A 90cm octa and a BD are very different things...
IMO, for location headshots (corporate type) bounce umbrellas and snoot/barn doors make just as much sense; and they are easier to carry/set up.
I'm may actually go for a BD because they're different - i.e. it's going to be a bit more punchy than a softbox, but I can still diffuse it with a sock if I need to. I have plenty of umbrellas but having shot portraits with them before I want something more controllable for what I have in mind (I want to establish an identifiable style of my own, rather than the somewhat bland shots I see in many instances).

Anyway, it's not a huge investment at the end of the day, and if you don't try...

I'm may actually go for a BD because they're different - i.e. it's going to be a bit more punchy than a softbox, but I can still diffuse it with a sock if I need to.
A BD with a sock just becomes a very small and very uneven softbox... it can be useful for some things like countering falloff, but it is kind of contradictory to a typical softbox purpose/use. You seem to have a pretty firm idea/opinion; but I'm still struggling to understand it... what is "the style" you want to achieve?

A BD with a sock just becomes a very small and very uneven softbox... it can be useful for some things like countering falloff, but it is kind of contradictory to a typical softbox purpose/use. You seem to have a pretty firm idea/opinion; but I'm still struggling to understand it... what is "the style" you want to achieve?
I just want a more contrasty light than a regular softbox will provide, giving me plenty of definition and bone structure. I’ve actually spent quite a lot of time researching BDs and have also spoken to a top headshot photographer (who’s an old friend of mine and one of the relatively few Headshot Crew Associates) about them.

I can pick up a collapsible one for £65-70 so, as I say, not a major investment. I already have regular softboxes anyway, although not an octa.

Last edited:
If you really want a ‘beauty dish’ that’ll double as a softbox, the Lencarta one works brilliantly. But they don’t currently have the Elinchrom fit in stock

If you really want a ‘beauty dish’ that’ll double as a softbox, the Lencarta one works brilliantly. But they don’t currently have the Elinchrom fit in stock
Cheers Phil - I'd seen those and they're just what I'm after. Elinchrom fit will apparently be available in March/April; I may actually be able to hang on until then, as I can't currently take my own stock/portfolio shots anyway and ideally want to wait until the vaccine roll-out has reached a good percentage of the population (including me!).

I just want a more contrasty light than a regular softbox will provide, giving me plenty of definition and bone structure. I’ve actually spent quite a lot of time researching BDs and have also spoken to a top headshot photographer (who’s an old friend of mine and one of the relatively few Headshot Crew Associates) about them.

I can pick up a collapsible one for £65-70 so, as I say, not a major investment. I already have regular softboxes anyway, although not an octa.
A BD will do that for you, an Octa will not. A reverse firing adjustable parabolic can do both and more (but large/expensive)...

FWIW, a lot of what both do (BD/Para) is create a somewhat harder/specular light source similar to a silver bounce umbrella. They also (can) create an umbra/antumbra ring light type of effect that you cannot duplicate with the bounce umbrella; but often the difference is more subtle than you might expect... especially if the BD/Para is not adjusted correctly, or at the correct distance.

A BD will do that for you, an Octa will not. A reverse firing adjustable parabolic can do both and more (but large/expensive)...

FWIW, a lot of what both do (BD/Para) is create a somewhat harder/specular light source similar to a silver bounce umbrella. They also (can) create an umbra/antumbra ring light type of effect that you cannot duplicate with the bounce umbrella; but often the difference is more subtle than you might expect... especially if the BD/Para is not adjusted correctly, or at the correct distance.
Thank you, much appreciated.

Well, having narrowed down the various choices amongst the myriad of kit out there, it's boiled down to two options (and I'm pretty much back where I started):

1 Elinchrom Snaplux portrait kit (60cm octabox and 35x75cm striplight) - two modifiers@ £265

2 Pixapro 90cm easy-open umbrella octabox, 60cm collapsible beauty dish and 30x90cm easy-open strip umbrella softbox - 3 modifiers @ £215

Given that option 2 provides a larger octabox and means I'll have a beauty dish as well, it does seem like a no-brainer. The Pixapro gear seems to a decent quality, and means I can change the speedring fitting should I need to in the future too.

Last edited:
Well, having narrowed down the various choices amongst the myriad of kit out there, it's boiled down to two options (and I'm pretty much back where I started):

1 Elinchrom Snaplux portrait kit (60cm octabox and 35x75cm striplight) - two modifiers@ £265

Just as an aside, you may have two speedrings to add to that cost at around £50 for the pair.

I would also say that the above softbox may be too small for headshot photography unless you are going for contrasty/moody shots. 60cm simply isn't big enough to do soft light*. I can't manage it with a 70cm Elinchrom deep octa.

*to my eye anyway. Others may differ.

Regards...

Just as an aside, you may have two speedrings to add to that cost at around £50 for the pair.

I would also say that the above softbox may be too small for headshot photography unless you are going for contrasty/moody shots. 60cm simply isn't big enough to do soft light*. I can't manage it with a 70cm Elinchrom deep octa.

*to my eye anyway. Others may differ.

Regards...
Yes, I don’t disagree, as I mentioned above. I have two Elinchrom speedring adapters ready and waiting, fortunately.

I’m actually wondering if I could dispense with the beauty dish by using the octabox with its honeycomb for a more directional light. Perhaps I’ll experiment before splashing out on the BD.

Last edited:
Yes, I don’t disagree, as I mentioned above. I have two Elinchrom speedring adapters ready and waiting, fortunately.

I’m actually wondering if I could dispense with the beauty dish by using the octabox with its honeycomb for a more directional light. Perhaps I’ll experiment before splashing out on the BD.

I would think that a 90cm Octa , even with a grid, will not give you the directionality of a BD. Perhaps not even close depending on the the size of the BD.

Regards...

I would think that a 90cm Octa , even with a grid, will not give you the directionality of a BD. Perhaps not even close depending on the the size of the BD.

Regards...
Ah, fair enough. I’ve not used a BD before, but it’s not a huge amount of money so I’ll proceed as I’d intended. Thanks, btw.

Back