Advice on getting started

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

(I debated whether to put this in the Beginners forum but thought there would be more people here who could advise.)

I’m an intermediately experienced digital photographer and I’m thinking about trying out film (back to basics to improve technique etc.).

I’d like to eventually try landscapes on medium format - can anyone recommend a way of getting into it?I thought about maybe getting a 35mm camera to get to grips with it. Is it worth jumping in at the deep end and getting a second hand medium format camera? I also considered finding a film photography course but a) didn’t know if it would be worth it and b) couldn’t find one anyway!

Any advice would be great!

Cheers,
Tom

eBay is your friend here. There are loads and loads of second hand film cameras on there. So far I've bought an Olympus OM10 with a 50mm lens, and a Canon EOS 50 body and spent a grand total of £60 which isn't bad. These are both 35mm cameras, medium format stuff is more expensive as a rule. There is loads of film content on YouTube as well, a quick search will turn up all sorts of guides and reviews. Factor in the cost of film and of processing too, neither of which are that cheap.

I've found it quite useful to read and watch reviews of whichever film you fancy trying, as different films require different exposure characteristics. The biggest difference I've found from Digital photography is that it' hard to overexpose film. In fact on some films overexposing by a stop or two actually improves the image as you get richer colours and better contrast.

I've just started with medium format and it's fab.

It's a case of what you think there is to get to grips with. Exposure is the same as digital - except that some cameras don't have a meter so you might need another tool to do the job (your DSLR will work fine as will an iPhone app, or you could get a light meter). ISO is fixed for the whole roll (unless you dev yourself and can cut film in the dark!) Film obviously needs loading (you need instructions), unloading (more instructions), developing (DIY or 3rd party) and scanning (DIY or 3rd party) or printing (DIY or 3rd party). Which of these do you want to learn more about and which are you comfortable just figuring out?

I'm now settling down with a Mamiya RB67. I don't dev my own (I scratch negatives/not practical to darkroom it/don't enjoy it) but I do scan and print (digitally). I enjoy the 6x7 aspect as opposed to the 3x2 of 35mm and also the "10 shots per roll". I like having a colour back & B&W back allowing me to shoot the same scene on different films without having 2 cameras. I don't like the weight, the inconvenience and the intial expense! I really like the fact that people often stop and talk to me (I like talking) because of it, and I like the fact that Velvia negatives look magically amazing at 6x7 :)

Thanks guys.

So far I've bought an Olympus OM10 with a 50mm lens, and a Canon EOS 50 body and spent a grand total of £60 which isn't bad. These are both 35mm cameras

Richard, would you recommend those cameras as a starting point? Or one over the other?

I've just started with medium format and it's fab.

Did you have experience with film before going to medium format? Would you say that standard 35mm film cameras are more user-friendly than medium format? If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay for your medium format setup?

Thanks again,
Tom

For landscapes a look at TLRs. They are very easy to shoot handheld (thanks to vertical construction they just rest against your body) and the viewfinder is always ready - you just look down and see what camera sees - perfect for walking around.

If you are patient Rolleiflex/Rolleicord or Microflex/Microcord can be had for very reasonable money off ebay.

Nothing compares to massive bright MF viewfinder. Once you try it - you are hooked forever :D

Last edited:
Hi All,

(I debated whether to put this in the Beginners forum but thought there would be more people here who could advise.)

I’m an intermediately experienced digital photographer and I’m thinking about trying out film (back to basics to improve technique etc.).

I’d like to eventually try landscapes on medium format - can anyone recommend a way of getting into it?I thought about maybe getting a 35mm camera to get to grips with it. Is it worth jumping in at the deep end and getting a second hand medium format camera? I also considered finding a film photography course but a) didn’t know if it would be worth it and b) couldn’t find one anyway!

Any advice would be great!

Cheers,
Tom

Hi the first thing to remember is the film camera body is just a light tight box and it's the lens and person behind the camera that counts, so something basic like a Praktica MT3 and later for £10, with a very good lens will take the same shots( like for like) as a £200 film camera...of course more expensive cameras have lots of goodies to help you take your shots and not forgetting AF if not very good at focusing.
If going for Olympus I'd choose the OM 20 but really I have quite a lot of cheap SLR cameras and they all take VG shots, the important thing is to buy a camera that's been looked after or if lucky just had a CLA as if you get any old camera you'll be asking how do I replace the light seals or exposure meter is off or negs showing shutter bounce because of over use. Of course if you get one for peanuts, things like light seals are easy to do yourself. Some guys here pay the extra cost, for gear at recommended places with a guarantee.
Anyway before you buy, you can always ask us "is this a good buy" and it should help in steering you in the right direction.

Last edited:
T
Did you have experience with film before going to medium format? Would you say that standard 35mm film cameras are more user-friendly than medium format? If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay for your medium format setup?

I can answer that as well.

My first film camera (discounting a point and shoot I used as a teen knowing nothing about photography) was medium format Rolleiflex T and I loved it from the moment I took first picture. With digital you just don't get this reassuring clockwork feel when you cock the shutter and release it .
In terms of user friendliness, not much difference between MF and 35mm, assuming both are fully manual. All you need is memorise Sunny16 and learn to load film the right way around :D

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
Richard, would you recommend those cameras as a starting point? Or one over the other?

Well the Olympus is an aperture priority, manual focus camera from the mid to late 1970s. So it's quite simple, in that I set the ISO speed of my film on the camera and then chose my aperture on the lens ring, and the camera decides on which shutter speed to use. It's a manual focus only system so it does make you work a bit more to get the shot, but it's fun.

The Canon I bought last week as I wanted something I could use with the EF lenses I use for digital photography. It's a much more modern camera as they were on sale between 1995 and 2000. Honestly if it had a screen on the back and a memory card slot instead of somewhere to put film it's not that far off my EOS 80D. The main controls are basically identical. So it depends what sort of film photography you want to do. I like having both manual focus and autofocus options

Yes. I shot a lot of (35mm) film as a kid, and then again much later in about 2010(?) when I developed my own (again 35mm). But it was all very straightforward. There isn't really much to learn. How to control aperture & shutter speed are two main functions. How to load/rewind a film. The rest are all bells & whistles - mostly to do with focussing and metering - two of the things that aren't on the RB67 in any automated way.

It's a problem with many modern (digital) cameras in that it's just not easy for me to navigate to things. I find the RB67 and my Fuji digitals to be "super easy" to use. I hated the Panasonic TZ1000 (digi compact) I had because I couldn't control aperture and shutter speed easily. The menus were a nightmare. I suspect I'd have a similar problem with a modern 35mm camera that had a PASM dial. None of that is there on a TLR or older medium format. So maybe I'm different in that a dial for shutter speed and aperture is more intuitive to me than hunting through a menu. If you pick something mainstream (Bronica or Mamiya) there's lots of "how to operate your camera" videos on YouTube. Don't let the technical operation of the camera hold you back. It's just like learning something new and there's just not that much to it.

My RB67 Pro-S - which is totally mechanical - no batteries or electronics to worry about - was £450 on ebay for body + waist level finder, 50mm, 127mm, 180mm lenses, polaroid back & film back, cable release, 3 packs of polaroid film, 10 rolls of Velvia & a couple of rolls of Fomopan, 2x extender and a Lowepro bag. The main attraction was the care the seller had taken with the description. It "sounded" like he cared about his camera, and thus I was confident I was getting a decent thing. It was/is is superb condition, and apart from me breaking the back (treating it like a 35mm winder) has been a joy to use. Once you've decided on a camera, setting watches on eBay will quickly give you a feel for the price ranges. You're unlikely to grab a bargain, so for me, it was about picking something that sounded like it had been cared for. Alternatively there are a few well regarded 2nd hand shops that you can browse through.

I started out with a Rolleiflex Automat TLR and whilst it's a beautiful thing, the lens just doesn't give (me) the quality that I get from the RB and the viewfinder was a bit dim. I love it for street photography and it's light as a feather, but for landscapes, it just wasn't quite up to the job.

If you want to jump straight in to medium format (and I can think of no good reason not to) then a TLR is definitely the way to go..... perhaps.;) If you want to have a try without spending hundreds of squids then an old folder might be the thing.

This was taken on a Ross Ensign 16-20 which cost me about a tenner including postage.

Crane Lakeside Railway by Andy, on Flickr

They are FULLY manual and you have to estimate the subject distance but if you want to slow down and concentrate on your technique then I believe they are perfect.

And here is the very camera.
Ross-Ensign-Selfix-16-20 by Andy, on Flickr

Oh and by the way, its small enough to fit into a pocket. :D

Andy has beaten me to it.

Totally agree, no reason not to go straight to MF. TLR or folder is a great start point.

I've just been out with my Rolleicord.

God, I love that viewfinder.

Meant to add....

This whole expose to the left, expose to the right thing confuses the bejezus out of me.

I think of it like this...

With digital you tend to want to protect the highlights, with film you tend to want to protect the shadows.

Unless it's slide film (velvia, provia, etc)
Otherwise yes, if not sure - just overexpose

With velvia/provia I do the opposite and get quite fascinating results like this:
246n-0GfWvd8elineVyu__HlzkDqDV_mNTdL9MTWOtwtEmOIkOOiYMvb5w3uQB4jPhju9AD3N2wJUmpZ8RDjMIXYoFGS76hlaAJEEf_M8bDPfGNUOrP9ETHs5AAcTai2jwx2U4Ixw-knddrjpcpoO4Rmm1HQMqPvLvyb08GmvWuTRy1NMWY658lvjxoNPceBLxfUVkZgrWXSWOLOFBdwAwBD6TXFi3UOwUl17TjRDeniJgeE-cKiKK_aa5a1CCzo6U4c72COM6JjJE_Qu_lSezwBlD_4RKZnaSiHhhs4g40_wpmQpTK_eZdEfH41-BCqsgqcWHiiM29ZLJO-OBRIqjp8XsRjzcG4chLM3nS2ztUxGM17lEIbHC6iz4PIPY_5aRb0eIfS-QxiAg4cJvwKYA6fyZyLD-aO40owYe19rsKBrsLsRtvxYngmfMljoBBYCcigoh6ou-2rgN_1IALGJ0LdgWlbP29sRt5wW2oNZN1fhgwMeBG58IK1VPbA89H5Mn41kBSFUvLFZce2qetqlVxJed6o2oyYjxf7_itmeF6FxoXY6I-DxFqNuWMqW6AGjNcSiKU0JYlOI5AjR0f06Ffq9Jh4p0pPF9dRnlBHZ05yKPZn3OElxPfP3Gyzmp2fB7UPZl7WP_kDLqB9zCSND0WqK6GXa8lg_tFjJTx2qaudtOOTib0=s914-no

The Autumn around the corner shot I posted in Show us Yer Film Shots earlier was taken on a 1950s Zeiss folder. If you want to use it for landscape shots, where you tend to have more time to set things up, then a folder would be ideal. You can get fantastic image quality for very little outlay, especially given that you could probably get away with a basic zone-focus model for that genre.

Hmm, lots to think about. It’s always good to know you can get started on a budget. With digital I’ve tried to be very disciplined in not spending too much on gear and working on technique - much more satisfying to see improvement by developing the ‘craft’ (pretentious word, sorry).

Andy, why do you have to estimate subject distance? Can you not focus through the viewfinder?

Hmm, lots to think about. It’s always good to know you can get started on a budget. With digital I’ve tried to be very disciplined in not spending too much on gear and working on technique - much more satisfying to see improvement by developing the ‘craft’ (pretentious word, sorry).

Andy, why do you have to estimate subject distance? Can you not focus through the viewfinder?

The viewfinder is not coupled to anything so you have to set the distance with the front ring on the lens. To be honest if you are using it for landscapes then just bang it onto infinity and away you go.

Hmm, lots to think about. It’s always good to know you can get started on a budget . With digital I’ve tried to be very disciplined in not spending too much on gear and working on technique - much more satisfying to see improvement by developing the ‘craft’ (pretentious word, sorry).

A word of warning - if you're using a lab to dev and scan, medium format is around triple the cost of 35mm on a shot per shot basis. 36 shots is three rolls of B&W film (On 6x6) and will set you back around £45-£50 for film, dev and scan.
I'd love to shoot medium format through a Zeiss folder all day long but the associated prices means I can't.

This thread might be helpful: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/first-film-camera-ever-or-for-many-years.481985/ .

Unlike most on here, I've never really taken to medium format cameras; too big and heavy, never really liked waist level viewfinders, etc. I use old manual focus (Pentax) SLRs like the ME, MX and LX. All with light meters; the ME and LX have got aperture priority, so are easier to use. The MX and LX have manual exposure (as well in the latter case). I can carry two of these and a couple of spare lenses in a small shoulder bag (I shouldn't, I really shouldn't as they're a bit crammed in) but I do. They're hand-holdable in most conditions, which is good as I don't enjoy tripod fiddling, though I'll take a monopod on dimmer days. The Pentax and other lenses are brilliant (I believe Nikon and Canon made some nice cameras, too), and the results are fine for me in terms of quality; I've printed up to A3 and they look fine.

I did have an auto-focus film camera for a while, but sold it as it was far too much like a digital camera.

I think I understand why people like Medium Format, I think. Certainly if you want to print big, or just stare in awe at your 6*7 transparencies, they are brilliant. But for getting to know film shooting, I'd start with 35mm. One thing: if you buy wisely, you should be able to sell later for little or no loss!

The viewfinder is not coupled to anything so you have to set the distance with the front ring on the lens. To be honest if you are using it for landscapes then just bang it onto infinity and away you go.
If you have an old folder, you set infinity to the aperture you are using which gives you the hyperfocal distance at the focus index.

Still 100% better than taking photos with a computer. :)

I think for most of us we're getting our film developed and then scanned, so like it or not a computer is involved at some point.
I'm fairly happy with my Lightroom editing process for B&W digital these days, and to be honest there's not a huge amount of difference in the end result between film scans and digital files.
While the cost is what it is, film becomes something I shoot every now and again because I like using a certain camera.

If I was more comfortably well off, and had a dark room so that the process was significantly different, I would be all over shooting medium format film.

Last edited:
I think for most of us we're getting our film developed and then scanned, so like it or not a computer is involved at some point.
I'm fairly happy with my Lightroom editing process for B&W digital these days, and to be honest there's not a huge amount of difference in the end result between film scans and digital files.
While the cost is what it is, film becomes something I shoot every now and again because I like using a certain camera.

If I was more comfortably well off, and had a dark room so that the process was significantly different, I would be all over shooting medium format film.

I didn't say a computer wasn't involved, I said taking pictures WITH a computer, meaning a modern digital camera. Something with a screen, auto everything, etc. It just doesn't do it for me.

What camera to buy? Have not included range finders or compacts etc and are cameras I own\owned or used, never got into the later Pentax line. Note: just my opinion.

Other members can fills in the gaps for their opinion.

Centon K100 similar to Pentax model, but not Nikon quality
Canon AV1..simple Aperture priority camera with accurate exposure meter, with a dodge that can be using for manual shots.
Canon A1 excellent camera takes a 6v battery though.
Canon AE1 used my fathers and another good camera
Canon T70 although ugly I like this camera, takes AA batteries
Canon T90 WOW if you can get one without the sticky shutter problem.
Canon FTb solid old manual camera. IIRC takes the banned 1.35v mercury battery maybe it would take a 1.5v.
Canon EOS 300 seems to do everything and takes AA battery so light being plastic fantastic
Canon EOS 300V much better then the EOS 300 but takes more expensive 3v batteries.
Chinon CE memotron heavy and the only thing going for it is: - it’s an advanced camera that takes M42 screw lenses.
Chinon CP-7M takes Pentax lenses and seems to do everything.
Contax 139 fills a quality camera, it you can’t afford Contax lenses it will take Yashica ones
Fuji STX-2 Have no opinion on this one other than it takes pictures.
Konica Autoreflex TC very good basic camera to get into Konica Hexanon lenses. Swapped the 1.35v battery for a 1.5v ones.
Konica FS1…beware of dodgy electronics and IMO just another OK camera
Konica FT-1..beware of dodgy electronics and IMO just another OK camera
Minolta SRT101b a solid mechanical camera
Minolta X-300 a nice camera but the X-500 is better
Minolta X-700 maybe it was made in competition to the Canon A1
Minolta XD-11 I prefer this over all the X models
Nikon EM very good point and shoot camera.
Nikon FM great camera that can take old Nikon F lenses.
Nikon 301 good camera but could have a problem with the release mechanism on non Nikon lenses
Nikon 401 AF this camera annoyed me as at times as it would override my settings\decision to take a shot.
Nikon F90X great camera and really like it.
Olympus OM 10 had two and it takes pictures but IMO it has a design fault on the top plate and you have to a have a silly adapter to use manual
OM 20 redesigned top plate and can do manual.
OM2 nice camera but not my favourite.
Pentax S3 mine after 58 years is still working Ok but has no built in exposure meter
Petri MF-1 another very small SLR...couldn't solve a light leak so threw it away.
Praktica MTL3 and MTL5 and TL5b not Nikon quality but cheap to buy
Praktica BC1 takes pictures but not Nikon quality
Ricoh KR10 super takes Pentax lenses, but stuck in a drawer as I now use the Chinon CP-7m for Pentax lenses.
Topcon Have a body some where, unusual firing mechanism...the RE lenses are collected by the digi guys.
Yashica FR1 I would give this camera a miss as it could have a design fault of a weak cog operating the number of shots taken.
Zenit had about four for the lenses, but couldn't see the point in using\keeping them when I had better SLRs

Bronica ETRs great camera for 6X4.5
Mamiya RB67 pro heavy but wow looking through that viewfinder
Rollei SL66 very good camera but just my opinion in it being over engineered..mine wasn’t that old when the shutter speeds developed a fault.
Tele-Rolleiflex erm useless compared to a SLR, mine developed a fault where it would take colour film but not BL&W…probably the colour film was thicker. Glad to get rid of it, although if I had kept it, it would have been a good investment for sale today.

Last edited:
Brian, That's a very interesting list and summary. I used to use a variety of different Pentaxes (S1a, SP, SV) some with built in meter, a couple with the one that clipped over the pentaprism housing. Always loved those cameras. I'm gutted that my whole Pentax collection seems to have gone missing over the course of a divorce and three house moves, I dearly miss the Bronica ETRSi outfit I had too, that I sold for too little some years ago.
I'd buy all of my old cameras back in a heartbeat, to be honest, except that I'm keen to try new things rather than go back the way. This is a great aspect to photography as a hobby, I feel, to try old cameras and different genres.

Err.. time to back up I think.... WHY do you want to try film? What do you hope to achieve? What 'difference' you you hope to experience shooting film to widgetal?

At the most basic level, there's not a heck of a lot of difference... it's just what is behind the lens to catch the light... silver halide or a silicon chip. The rest is all the same. A-N-D, the modern DSLR is actually an evolution of the last-of-the-line Auto-Focus film cameras, just with a silicon chip where the silver halide film would have gone, and are little different to use, other than having to chuck a film in them and go to the chemists to get pictures to look at off it!

Film-Format... again, most simply, 'large format cameras' take a picture on a 'plate'. Conventionally this was a piece of window glass, 10x8 inch square, for 'full-plate' but could be 'half plate', 8x5" or quarter-plate, 4x5", but since advent of celluloid, the 'plate' is replaced with 'cut-sheet' film.

Medium-Format.... conventionally is a camera that uses a celuloid 'roll'film',, most often 6cm wide 120 roll-film, that will give a number of frames per-roll. How many depends on how the frame is orientated along or across the film. Frame sizes on 120, conventionally, are 4.5x6cm 'accross' the film, or 6x6cm square on the film, or 6x9cm 'along' the film.

35mm is 'small-format' and conventionally make a frame 24x36mm square on the film. But like Medium format, you can play with the frame size you put on that film. 'Half-Frame' 35mm cameras like the Olympus Pen, use the film 'side-ways' to make a 24x16mm frame on it; co-incidentally the same size as was originally conceived for 35mm in movie cameras, the film was developed for, as well as for APS format cameras, that evolved into the APS-C sensor size for digital... But 'Small-Format; encompasses a range of film-sizes like the 220 cartridge film, that are smaller than 120 roll film, but bigger than 'miniature' formats.

Miniature format film... most popular probably the 110 cartridge, which puts a 13.x17mm frame on the film, but again, includes a range of film sizes and alternative frame sizes, most often based on 16mm film stock. Beneath those..... you get into sub-miniature formats, like the Minox spy camera that makes a tiny 10x8mm frame on its diddy little film.

A-N-D..... that's as far as it goes. It's 'just' the size of film behind the lens, little else... so why do you want to use film, and is it aactually the film that atracts you or the usually lesser level or....

AUTOMATION - This is where the biggest differences are to be found. Mentioned the last of the line Auto-Focus SLR film cameras, being little different to the early digital DSLR's, and in fact the earliest of them were based on 35mm or APS film cameras, literally with little difference but a silicon chip where the film would have gone....

Earlier film SLR's like my humble Zenit, were completely 'manual'. There was virtually NO automation or easement in the things, so you had to meter the scene's brightness, either by eye, f-16 Sunny style, or with a hand-held meter. Decide by guess-work and or experience, or from the pictorial guide on the film packet, or a set of tables, maybe a computer 'wheel' oft built into a hand-held meter, what shutter-speed, what aperture settings to select for the film sped you had and the brightness of the scene.... then focus the lens manually, either by eye through the viewfinder if an SLR or twin-lens-reflex' or by scale, either with a helpful range-finder to help you guess the distance, that again might have been built into the camera or an accessory, or a bit of guess-work and or experience to a scale on the lens, or more 'broadly' to some icons for 'near' 'middle' and 'far' distant subjects (Zone focus).

Later, and probably the majority of 35mm Film SLR's, had in-built ';Through-Taking-Lens' light meters. My Zenit has no meter at all, I have to use a Hand-Held meter. My Sigma, on the other hand has an in-built TTL meter, that shows a hi/lo swing needle in the view-finder. This is actually 'coupled' and shifts the center depending on the ASA/Shutter/Aperture settings I have made, but I still have to make them all 'manually'. My OM10, on the other hand is fully 'Auto-Exposure, and I have to set the film-speed and aperture manually, but the shutter-speed is coupled to the TTL light-meter, and sets the shutter speed to balence the meter against the other 'settings'.

On a modern DSLR.... you may pretty much turn off or on as much or as little of the automation as you want, or dont want, and if you turn 'off' the auto-focus, and turn the exposure mode to 'manual'.... you pretty much have something that works like my old Sigma 35mm SLR fil camera. So how 'involved' do you want top get, and how much automation do you want NOT to have? And is 'film' really doing anything you want for you?

PROCESSING - Something you cant really replicate in widgetal, is taking the film out the camera, putting it in a day-light tank, mixing chemicals, and bathing the film according to a recipe on the bottles or in a book, then taking the film out and seeing the pictures you took... probably in negative..... but developing to the recipe, it's actually NOT all 'that' much more engaging than taking the film to Boots to do for you..... but, presuming negative film, next step is to make a positive 'print', which used to beg an enlarger to blow up the negative image to the size of a piece of paper, that you then has to develop like the film... lots and lots of stuff to do, its very involved and very interesting and making your own prints does give you loads and loads of 'control' of how the picture you see gets to be a picture you can hang on the wall.....

THIS is the most significant departure using film to widgetal.... you have to get messy with chemicals to make the picture happen... is THAT what you want to do?

In which case "What Camera" is pretty irrelevant; do you want to develop and print black and white? Do you want to tackle colour? What bits of processing would you like to experiment with or explore? Different development processes and brews? Different printing techniques, like dodging and burning, or multiple image montaging? WHERE do you hope to take it?

Now, I started home-processing in the early 90's, because I didn't feel I was doing 'all' I could in this photography lark, just pointing the camera. Plus it was getting expensive, and home developing slide film looked like a good way to save pennies. I then bought a second hand enlarger, and had a crack at first developing and printing Black and White, which is all pretty do-able and good fun, before trying to tackle colour... which isn't! But, I discovered a 'scanner' at work, and had a mess with what was then known as "Digital Dark-Room' on the computer.... could do much the same things as I could in the dark room, in both colour and B&W and not have to make so much mess!

Back to what you hope to experience from film..... shooting an all auto film camera isn't much different to shooting a DSLR; getting film commercially developed, is little different, just more expensive than taking an SD card out the camera, and putting film through the scanner to play in Photo-Shop is not really doing much different, to shooting direct-to-digital....

NOW... I mostly shoot 35mm film... and I probably put as much film through my beloved Olympus XA2 'compact', or Konica C35 'range-finder', as I do either my Sigma SLR or my OM10 SLR.... I do have an OM4, but I have sort of given up on the ruddy thing since the batteries went flat on frame 12, when both new film and new batteries were fitted at the same time! I also have a 120 Roll-film, Ziess Ikonta 'folder' and a Voiglander TLR. which are pertinent...

I DON'T use the MF cameras mostly because they are a pain in the bum. The film is incredibly expensive, and on the Ikonta particularly I only get 10 frames a roll! The image quality, IS however superb...... B-U-T... it don't fit in my scanner.... and even of it did.... shrunk to 1000pixels on the long-side for screen-view and web-load! RATHER wasted on any-one, unless I made prints.... BIG prints!

Which was pretty much my conclusion over 1/4 century ago, when I was loaned a Hassablad, Medium Format, 6x6 SLR. I actually went to the camera shop and bought some, Ilford B&W of the same emulsion in 120 and 35mm and shot a range of subjects back-to-back, with the 'Blad, my OM4, and my XA2...... and after a Christmas break off work, in the dark-room, and a LOT of wasted printing paper.... my conclusion was, that I could barely see blugger all difference, especially until I was making tiny sectional enlargements of the frame at huge magnifications and looking at them under a magnifying glass..... sort of old-skool pixel peeping!

Don't get me wrong.... the Ziess Ikonta is a lovely camera to use. All manual, its very involving, B-U-T... to all practical extents and purposes, I don't get anything 'more' from it than I do my old Sigma Mk1... its just as tactile and mechanical and involving... with the convenience of that exposure meter in the view-finder, and possibility of interchangeable prime lenses....

And SO!!!! We get down closer to the nitty gritty of your question......

The world of 'film' cameras is huge. And immediately, I have mentioned my Olympus XA2 compact. Fantastic camera, one of the smallest full-frame 35mm film cameras ever made, delivering SLR rivaling image quality from a pretty sophisticated (for the time!) Auto-Exposure system, making it pretty much point and press friendly. The Konica was my Grandad's, and slightly earlier than the XA2, it was like the XA2 NOT a 'cheap' camera, but with an automatic exposure system, as well as a rather good 'true' focal length lens, did serve up SLR rivaling results from something that was pretty P&S friendly, with some degree of 'manual' over-ride control on that if wanted. But there are loads of old non SLR film cameras about like this, and JUST because they aren't an SLR they can be a real steal in the 2nd hand market, these days. In the 120 Medium-Format world, there's a similar trend. That Ziess Ikonta folder of mine, was another family heirloom, but e-bay value is probably something rather less than £25, mostly because its not an iconic Miyama or Bronica 'interchangeable lens' camera.

If you are a 'bit' savvy about what you are about, and what you really want to do, or experience, there are an ENORMOUSE number of old film cameras out there, you could pick from, in either 35mm or Medium-Format, with as much 'manual', or 'little' manual involvement as you want.

I will pick the my Sigma as an example. its 35mm, so it uses reletively cheap, common, available and easily manages film stock. I can drop a film in to ASDA and have a one hour procesing on it in the time it takes me to choose what bread to buy, not have to send it to a specialist or pay a fortune for it. It fits my scanner, and I can make digi-files as good or as quick as I need to most purposes, or probably better. If I shoot B&W I can play chemicals at home, and again, scan or print, and play as much or little as I want. The camera is 'involving' to use, demanding I make my own settings to the swing needle, but doesn't demand I work entirely to guess work or wave a hand-held meter about. Machine-Gun 'Ker-Chunk' of the shutter, and the stiff resistance of the controls, including the focus, is all very nice and lets me 'feel' like I am actually doing stuff... and the image quality is more than good enough for most purposes, far better than needed for web-display, certainly more than enough for prints up to 10x8 inches.... So the merit of MF is pretty marginal. On the other hand? The 'convenience' of the XA2 is fantastic, as it has been for the last 40 years.... also unobtrusive, and yeah, NOT so 'engaging', but not really the point of the thing, which is to let me concentrate on finding and composing scenes.

So.... back to the question... WHAT do you want to do with a film camera? What are you hoping to experience?

The camera really matters very little, its whether that choice will deliver what you hope for.... And you can spend as little or as much as you want really, before during or after picking film....

PERSONALLY I would suggest, as a toe-in-the-water, exercise, you start 35mm. Its cheap-er, its more available, and so much more accessible than MF.

I would guess that you want an SLR. because that's the 'done' thing and you feel like you have a camera in your hand for it. But, do you really want or need interchangeable lenses? And if so, zooms or primes? The at a touch re-framing of a zoom, is much like the automation, all too easy to expect and exploit and NOT get that engagement or involvement or 'experience' having to work with the fixed framing of a prime.... and there, if you force yourself to work with a restricted range of primes? Do you really need interchangeable lenses? Would a fixed lens range-finder or zone-focus camera be 'as' demanding and involved to use?

Its all lots of choices, and they all depend on your aspirations and expectations; there's no one-sized-fits all off the peg answer here.

And if you just want to take pictures, that you are going to get commercially developed, and printed, and maybe scanned.... are you really getting anything at all from film.... think long and hard..... the film is as important as the camera, what you do with the film after its been through the camera the same.

What camera is but TINY part of the over-all question here..... 35mm vs MF?!? Even smaller part.....

Diving in without giving some thought to the bigger picture, you are setting up either for mistakes and regrets and or disappointment, and possibly a lot of unnecessary expense. Giving it a bit of thought, identifying what you really hope to get from film? You stand a much better chance of picking something more suitable and getting a lot more from it, and it probably wont matter an awful lot WHAT the actual camera happens to be.

Back to you, I think!

Diving in without giving some thought to the bigger picture, you are setting up either for mistakes and regrets and or disappointment, and possibly a lot of unnecessary expense.

Ah Mike forget the expense bit as if you buy a decent camera and tried film and didn't like it, you can always get your money back selling so the expense is: - you've bought say e.g. 5 rolls of film and dev cost and for that you've have gained some experience and can say "been there done it".

Back