Beginner Advice on Indoor Photography

Name
David Williams
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can advise me please? I'm helping my daughter with her art project and we will need to take some photos for her development piece. The theme she has chosen is "Dancing " and we are going to a Northern Soul night this Friday. Hoping to get some decent images but I'm a bit worried about settings. I'm guessing light will be low but people will be moving/ dancing. The kind of image she wants is something similar to the quick sketch she has done - attached
Any help for this total beginner would be much appreciated IMG_1485291756.723362.jpg

So.. first things first, what gear do you have available?
- camera
- lenses
- flash

No point anyone suggesting something you're not equipped to do :D

I'm already thinking a few things..
- high ISO noise probably won't be much of a concern for the intended purpose, a noisy shot will still capture enough detail for the purpose
- you may want to try varying the shutter speed to see how movement can be captured in different ways
- you're almost certainly going to be shooting wide open

Good point, forgot to include that...
Nikon D3300 with 18 to 55 Kit Lens. Only flash is the built in one.
Dead right re high ISO. The image quality e.g. Sharpness or focus perhaps not as important as capturing the movement, energy and mood. The artwork aims to show this and to some extent it should be reflected in the photos as well.
Thanks

In that case the settings aren't going to be complicated - wide-open aperture, push the ISO as hard as you have to, experiment with shutter speeds from 1/60 and faster. Under-exposing and recovering in post isn't normally advised but might be acceptable for this purpose. Make sure you're shooting raw.

By the way, that's a very nice sketch your daughter's done. She's obviously got some talent.

Hi Alastair
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
I'll pass on your compliment to her. Think she must get the talent from my wife's side!!

Try using table lamps to light the subject , if done correctly you should not need flash , maybe
Not really suitable for lighting people dancing.

Back