Advice on new Graphics card

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, looking for some advise on a new Graphics card for doing both photo work (Lightroom, Photoshop, Topaz AI etc) as well as video editing on my Davinci Studio (paid version), for my desktop PC.

I don't want to spend a fortune as most of my editing is done on my 2022 16" fully kitted out M2 Pro MacBook pro, but feel that the card in it (which at the time was only an entry level card) is getting a bit long in the tooth as it's now about 4 years old.

So my Desktop spec is as follows:

Motherboard - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
Memory - 32GB DDR4
Processor - Intel Core I7 9700K @ 3.60ghz
Boot Drive - Corsair Force MP510 NVMe 1 TB
Storage Drive - Crucial P3 4TB M.2 PCIe Gen3 NVMe
Power Supply - Corsair Vengeance 750W

My current Graphics Card is a Radeon RX570 8GB DDR5

Ideally I don't want to really spend more than say £400-£500 pounds, but have no idea these days what's good from Radeon or NVidia for that sort of price bracket and if they would actually give any appreciable benefit over the currently installed card.

Anyone out there knowledgeable about these things that can advise please ?

Last edited:
I'd look for a Radeon 3060ti with 12gb ram. Still a good card. There's a 4060 but that may not offer any advantage.

Thanks Toni. I've just done a web search and it seems that a 3060Ti is a Nvidia RTX card not a Radeon - is that correct ?

Thanks Toni. I've just done a web search and it seems that a 3060Ti is a Nvidia RTX card not a Radeon - is that correct ?

Yes, it's not a Radeon. Sorry.

Opinions vary, but the ti should be a fair bit quicker - however more memory is likely to help with video editing.

I recently upgraded to the rtx 3060ti to use with DR as my previous card was not up to the job.

From the research I did before hand I learnt that DR benefits from as much graphics ram as you can afford, so I was also looking at the 4060 16GB card, but it turns out it uses an old standard and is really quite slow in comparison so is actually worse performing than the 3060.

I am yet to try it on any 3d effects, but for general 4k timeline editing it does the trick.

3060 ti Fe here and it works pretty well.
Major complaint is only 8gb ram. It frequently goes over and starts using system ram. The more the better. 16 would be nice if you expect to push it and hold on to it.

For resolve there is actually a major benefit of getting 40 series card because of av1 codec support. It will be the next go to format for video delivery.
You may get same support in future intel k CPU. 13th can only decode. Enconding is only possible via software and resolve doesn't yet support it.
However you can encode av1 from any intermediate format with something like cine encoder 2023, handbrake or other foss tools and speed is actually quite acceptable. So 40 series card is nice but not a requirement.
They really begin at 4070 and up

With my new build in April 2023 I bought the RTX3060, it was a high cost for me to budget for.......by Dec 2023 it had dropped in price and so had the 3060Ti which by then would have been budget.

FWIW I still find the 3060 fine for my post processing.

3060 is nvidia i have the non Ti version cost me about 280
dont do vid editing but it is great for gaming

if i remember though the Ti has less ram onboard and was considered poor value for money for the extra cash

The 3060 has a smaller and slower Memory Bus being 192-bit, whereas the Ti has a 256-bit Memory Bus. This results in a memory bandwidth of 360GB/s vs 448GB/s respectively.

Hi guys, looking for some advise on a new Graphics card for doing both photo work (Lightroom, Photoshop, Topaz AI etc) as well as video editing on my Davinci Studio (paid version), for my desktop PC.

I don't want to spend a fortune as most of my editing is done on my 2022 16" fully kitted out M2 Pro MacBook pro, but feel that the card in it (which at the time was only an entry level card) is getting a bit long in the tooth as it's now about 4 years old.

So my Desktop spec is as follows:

Motherboard - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
Memory - 32GB DDR4
Processor - Intel Core I7 9700K @ 3.60ghz
Boot Drive - Corsair Force MP510 NVMe 1 TB
Storage Drive - Crucial P3 4TB M.2 PCIe Gen3 NVMe
Power Supply - Corsair Vengeance 750W

My current Graphics Card is a Radeon RX570 8GB DDR5

Ideally I don't want to really spend more than say £400-£500 pounds, but have no idea these days what's good from Radeon or NVidia for that sort of price bracket and if they would actually give any appreciable benefit over the currently installed card.

Anyone out there knowledgeable about these things that can advise please ?

This is a handy site, but only as a rough guide.

The 3060 or 3060 Ti will be a huge step up from your current card. The 4070 seems like very good performance per pound, but you could be going outside of your budget slightly.

28% faster overall.

yup when i looked last year (had my 3060 about 6 months now) the price was about £50 more but I was put off by the 12gb vs 8gb seeing as my use is prely gaming i went for the 3060 zotac 12gb

Back