Advice on PP

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
Yes
I posted this in the architecture/urban forum before seeing this one.

Hi folks.

First off, I still consider myself a beginner in the world of photography. I do it for the enjoyment, and have managed to get a few nice pictures so far.

In terms of pp, I know very little. I am picking stuff up from posts on here and online, but its a slow process. A fun one but slow.

I wanted to ask for advice from the more experienced folk about what you would do to this photo. (I don't want people to do work for me, just to show me what is possible, or how the picture should have been taken differently.)

The original.

Tower Bridge1.jpg

I don't like the red in the sky so i had a fiddle and turned up the blacks to get rid of it a bit. But obviously this darkens a lot of other areas.

Tower Bridge2.jpg

What would you do to pp this image??

Thanks

looks soft to me and possibly burned out hightlights, so I would probably start again, but straighten the bridge, crop out some of the black the top of the image and boost the saturation of the light trail would be my starting point.

Hi Ross,

I would second what Andy said. For me this would be a deleted image. It's blurred and isn't a particularly effective composition. What were your settings out of interest?

There's not much to post process to be honest, due to the image content. A mass of black nothingness and Tower Bridge. I would crop the image from the top left inwards so that the bridge and boat blur fill the frame. Desaturate the orange. Oh, and straighten the verticals (y)

If you're going to have the bridge that small in the frame, you need to make sure there's something interesting happening in the space around it, kind of like this...

TowerBridge-OliverPohlmann-1200px.jpg

Last edited:
As I am seeing the image need to be cropped, the main subject is not getting much priority here. As others have mentioned above that its kind of blurred as well. I guess some adjustments may needed here as well.

The comments already made give good advice but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a play/practice

16822-1477997661-889ad13dda3540f58ad29b8a9c998465.jpg

16821-1477997639-c07883cc9dcc97478baf01c98784626f.jpg

Rhodese.

Last edited:
If you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve then it makes image processing easier.

I'd suggest, if the opportunity arises again, take the picture when there is some residual light in the sky. At the right time of day it balances with the artificial lighting, in this case the floodlighting. This will help avoid overexposing the floodlit areas as in your pictures. Look up "Blue Hour".
When the sky has gone black, I usually pack up go home. Or move on to a different type of shot, often with no sky in.

Last edited:
Hi Ross,

I would second what Andy said. For me this would be a deleted image. It's blurred and isn't a particularly effective composition. What were your settings out of interest?

There's not much to post process to be honest, due to the image content. A mass of black nothingness and Tower Bridge. I would crop the image from the top left inwards so that the bridge and boat blur fill the frame. Desaturate the orange. Oh, and straighten the verticals (y)

If you're going to have the bridge that small in the frame, you need to make sure there's something interesting happening in the space around it, kind of like this...

View attachment 76515

Sky replacement, or just HDR and interesting weather?

Back