Advice on shooting animals

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm going to Svalbard this weekend and only have a nikon 70-300 (5.6 VR; with D90), and some of the creatures I hope to see are likely to be a fair far away. The light also doesn't look great from the forecast and my question is will I be better just raising ISO or should I also adjust shutter speed (if that will give better image quality?)? Of course I'll use at least 1/shutter speed to freeze motion.
Thanks

Last edited:
When your getting to the camera limit on any moving subject.. always up the iso rather than lower the shutter... remember this advice.. You can save a noisy image.. you can't save a blurred image:)

You could do it with auto ISO and minimum shutter setting if the D90 allows that I know many other newer nikons do, I quite offer set max ISO to 3200 (ideally a lot lower but if you expect very dull conditions you may have no choice but not sure how d90 will cope that high so do some tests, and minimum shutter anywhere from 600-1600 depending on what I'm shooting)

Should have said if what your shooting does not move much you won't need the higher shutter speeds it all depends on how "twitchey" they are if they are going to be totally still just long distance you can lower your shutter much more especially if using a tripod

Back