Advice on soft Sigma

Name
Richard Black
Edit My Images
Yes
After having the D50 and the D200 out side by side yesterday the D20 with my wideangle 10-20 on and the d200 withthe 24-70f.28 set to about 4 or 5 fstop.

I could instantly tell the colours and the focus was far better on the 10-20 than the 24-70.
Looking back at pictures i cannot get a good quality well focus'd image from the 24-70 unless very up close?

I got it off an ebay seller. With 12 warrenty.

Onyl receipt i ahve really is the paypal receipt and a ebay receipt. Neither of these are acceptable by sigma? Its under 12 months old. I've emailed the seller for a genuine receipt. But they haven't replied. I'm worried if they turn out not be a seller then they cant do it? Will i be Knackered?

I had a similar problem with my Sigma lenses, the 17-70 is brilliant but the 10-20 was dreadful on the left side. I had it serviced and re calibrated by Sigma for £33.95 and it came back like new. I had to pay as it was over 12 months old.

In the absence of a serial number that confirms the lens is a UK one, Sigma UK require a VAT receipt before they will undertake any warranty work. If the warranty you have is a Mack one then you would have to send the lens to Sigma, get an estimate and then email that to Mack to get authorisation to get the work carried out.

If on the other hand, it's a seller warranty the you would need to return the lens to them and hope HMRC don't nab it on it's way back into the UK :(

Sigma's quality control has never been that tight :(

You take a chance..... I saw the results of two identical lenses - a 24mm F2.8 (mine and my BiL's)
His was brilliant, mine was ..... less so !

He bought his on the strength that a magazine review praised it as being as good quality as a Leica equivalent! I bought mine on the strength that his was good!

In the absence of a serial number that confirms the lens is a UK one, Sigma UK require a VAT receipt before they will undertake any warranty work. If the warranty you have is a Mack one then you would have to send the lens to Sigma, get an estimate and then email that to Mack to get authorisation to get the work carried out.

If on the other hand, it's a seller warranty the you would need to return the lens to them and hope HMRC don't nab it on it's way back into the UK :(

Mine has a serial number round the base of the lens? Does that mean its an import?
I'll nag the seller i shouldn't have to pay.

Mine has a serial number round the base of the lens? Does that mean its an import?
I'll nag the seller i shouldn't have to pay.

No, what I mean is, Sigma UK will have a list of serial numbers which have passed through their hands as official UK imports, if yours has a number on it that doesn't appear in their database they will know it is not an official import.

No, what I mean is, Sigma UK will have a list of serial numbers which have passed through their hands as official UK imports, if yours has a number on it that doesn't appear in their database they will know it is not an official import.

Spot on - this is why I only buy Sigma UK imported lenses now.

The £39.95 Repair Bill (minimum) is why importing is just false economy in many cases.

Ah i see! I might email them and check the serial number see if i can get them to repair it off that? Porving its under 12 months.

Well! With sigma its not a uk one. Which is not what i was told when i bought it. So i don't have the 12 month warrenty i was told i would have.

Well! With sigma its not a uk one. Which is not what i was told when i bought it. So i don't have the 12 month warrenty i was told i would have.

You need to watch out with this :(

Drop Sigma UK a line, they are very nice and aim to please. You may well get a nice surprise.

Just been on the phone to em :( They basically said they'd have to charge to fix it. to do it under warrenty it may end up being sent round the world to the likes of hong kong to be fixed.
May just pay and send the seller the bill.

See if the seller will help out? You need to watch out, there are a lot of UK Powersellers who import from HK,and then sell the item as "In the UK, UK stock" - which is true, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

If you bought the lens from a private seller, you technically have no warranty anyway, as they are not transferable. A decent seller will send it in under his own name or generally help out.

Its a uk seller of Sigma stuff from what i can tell. Feeling abit done and stupid tbh.
I've emailed, nothing back yet.

If there is a "12 month warranty" then I wouldn't worry about it unless the seller doesn't respond within a week or so. It may be they are on holiday or something like that, but if you paid using a credit card via Paypal you can always take the matter up with them if push comes to shove.

I'm waiting to see how my 70-200 VR fiasco turns out - the seller has promissed a full refund and a refund of return shipping costs, but just in case, I have amassed a nice little dossier of info for Ebay and HMRC should the situation change once the seller has both the lens and my money ;)

Got word back today, the seller supplied me with an invoice. Apparently its covered with a international sigma warrenty, but uk won't honour that?
They did say i can send it back to them and they will return it to sigma Japan for repair.
That'd mean my poor lil lens going round the world and probably coming back more damaged than before thanks to the worlds fantastic delivery service.
But they also offered me a free repair at sigma for anything 15gbp or below. Thats nearly half the price of the repair. So i'll do that i think!

Apparently its covered with a international sigma warrenty, but uk won't honour that

Ask the seller if he is VAT registered, and did he charge VAT or pay VAT on Import?

But they also offered me a free repair at sigma for anything 15gbp or below.

No, Sigma UK do not repair lenses for £15...!

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/support/service-tariff.htm

£33.99 and you'll need to pay postage to get the lens to them. So its £40 minimum.

Got word back today, the seller supplied me with an invoice. Apparently its covered with a international sigma warrenty, but uk won't honour that?
They did say i can send it back to them and they will return it to sigma Japan for repair.
That'd mean my poor lil lens going round the world and probably coming back more damaged than before thanks to the worlds fantastic delivery service.
But they also offered me a free repair at sigma for anything 15gbp or below. Thats nearly half the price of the repair. So i'll do that i think!

That's what I said, Sigma "International" warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on, yet a lot of HK (and UK) Ebay sellers make out as if they are valid and whee can be as low as £30 or 40 it just isn't worth the hassle.

This is what stopped me buying a grey Sigma 120-300, I probably wouldn't sleep at night for wondering when (not if) it was going to break and cost me a fortune :bang:

Back