Advice on trade ins?

Name
Alkim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've never done one before but are they worth it? And what might be a good place to start looking at?
My goal is to probably get a sony a6300 and trade in a canon body and 2 lenses along with it. But I don't know if I'd be better off trying to sell on ebay and then buy the new camera myself.
Any advice is appreciated!

I’ve never had any reasonable trade ins. You’ll get much more selling privately. You can get quotes from the likes of Wex, Mpb and Camera jungle, that way you can get a ball park figure of what it’s worth.

Don't forget the classifieds here [emoji3]

Virtually all my gear was bought S/H from the classifieds on here and I've never had a bum deal and saved a shedload of money!

Also since I'm buying from photographers I can be fairly certain the gear has been well looked after.

Apart of course from making sure they also have good reports and a decent feedback score.

Don't forget the classifieds here [emoji3]

:plus1: exactly this, get your posts up to over 25 and advertise here, price them fairly and you'll get more than you would by trading. I may even try it myself soon. (y)

Also, consider Ffordes who will sell on a commission basis. My experience is that this will generate a much higher return than a trade in, though you will need to be patient for your gear to sell.
I sold my 24-120 f/4 through them and got a very healthy return.

Trade-ins are great if you're in a hurry and can afford to throw money away - you're just giving it to the middleman. :eek:

I always use classifieds - far better. Don't forget to factor in shipping and insurance costs though (which are legally the seller's responsibility) unless you opt for face-to-face.

Virtually all my gear was bought S/H from the classifieds on here and I've never had a bum deal and saved a shedload of money!

Also since I'm buying from photographers I can be fairly certain the gear has been well looked after.

Apart of course from making sure they also have good reports and a decent feedback score.

As always - it depends.

I've had some good secondhand buys on here, but then I've also some poor ones as well. Items missing parts that were 'forgotten' to be mentioned, a body that I suspect had bent/straightened pins on the CF slot as they broke the first time a card was removed requiring a whole new main board.

I've bought and recently sold to MPB. Whilst you don't get as good price as selling yourself, it takes away all the hassle of selling, provides a quick way of obtaining the money, providing you're fair with your appraisal.
I certainly wouldn't recommend selling through ebay, there's too many fraudulent buyers claiming the item wasn't as advertised, didn't arrive etc. You've then got th eissue of postage, packaging.

If you can sell locally with a face to face meeting and cash thats probably best - local facebook market place? However I tried to sell a 70-200 f2.8 IS lens locally and the buyer got very nervous about turning up with cash!

So a trade in works at times, for speed, safety, no hassle, but you get a less than if selling private. There's nothing to stop you getting a quote, in fact MPB make it very easy and fast, so it's worth it to give you an idea.

Only you can decide if that's where you value your kit, your time and the timescale you want the cash in

Back