Advice Please: Light Trails From Moving Car At Night

I need to pick the best 2 now and upload them tonight or in the morning. But I will keep going I'm enjoying trying to improve and it means I don't have to drive all of the time :rolleyes:

I'm thinking I'll use No 1 and No 5 form my last batch.

I was hoping to find a busy junction where the lights would turn red just as we got there so we were at the front of the que and take a shot while waiting at the lights something to try in the future

How do you keep the camera steady on long exposures like these? Surely there's a bit of camera movement when just using a tripod on the seat?

I used a Suction mount stuck to the window but most people use a tripod on the fornt or back seat.

Even with the suction mount you'll get a bit of movement in the light trails due to pot holes uneven roads etc

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you keep the camera steady on long exposures like these? Surely there's a bit of camera movement when just using a tripod on the seat?

Without a suction mount which I'll add I don't own at this time as Ive only ever played with this type of photography it's a case of working out the most stable position to wedge your camera/tripod into (y)

Just to update this last night was the night for the judging and well one of my images got sellected through to the second round there were about 12 put through out of 50 plus images and although I didn't get placed in the top 3 I'm over the moon that it was even considered given I ionly had my first atempt at this type of photography a few weeks ago and how bad my first attempts were.

This is the image

DSC_0384_edit-2
by MARKGAMESON1 (Downton Mini/Mini59), on Flickr

Thank you for all of your advise, tips and critique

Back