Beginner Advice please

Name
William
Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning I have a Nikon D5500 and it's a good camera. When using the sigma 17-70 lens I'm finding that to get really sharp shots I have to use the macro mode which is infuriating! For example when out shooting the kids at a party or whatnot I've used A mode with f4 or so, ISO around 100-200 and a flash gun but the image comes out a touch soft. Shoot the same in macro mode and the image is crystal clear.Is this a quirk

All macro mode does is change the settings like aperture, shutter speed and iso, nothing more. I would assume that it would set the aperture quite narrow in order to maximise the depth of field, therefore the conclusion is that particular lens isn’t very sharp at f4, or you are confusing shallow depth of field blur with not being sharp. Try using Aperture priority but set a narrower aperture like f8 and see if it replicates what you are seeing by using macro mode.

Last edited:
Compare the exif (camera settings used) of the images taken in macro mode to your settings... that should tell you what you need to set differently; or at least give you the direction you need to go with the settings (auto modes can tend to overdo things compared to where you would ideally want them).

Too slow a shutter speed is the most common cause of blurry photographs that I see from beginners and happy snappers.

When you say that you "have to use the macro mode ", how exactly are you setting that?

Back