Advice please

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
DSC_3572 (2).JPG

Nikon D5200. 1/1600 sec. ISO 100.Auto WB. f6.3. Nikor 70-300mm, (at 300mm). On tripod. Settings were done via 'sports' setting preset.

Any advice on how i could have improved the shrpness with different settings, and can this be achieved in post production using Elerments 11. Thank you.

Increase shutter speed and ISO would be a good start. Add continuous focussing and follow the bird taking several bursts of shots.

If you're using a tripod be sure to make sure the stabilisation is turned off (with most lenses anyway).

1/1600th should be fine for a Redkite, it looks a little underexposed but I'm only viewing on me phone.
Another stop to ISO 200 maybe but thats dependant on metering.

I'd start with the two obvious, was AFc selected? And where was the focus point in shot? Should be viewable in software if you've already taken it off the card.

I like to have it viewable in playback, it eliminates and gives a reason for the oof shots.

Last edited:
What sky says but why are you using a Tripod for BIF,how do you move it fast enough to track the bird

Reactions: Sky
1/1600th should be fine for a Redkite, it looks a little underexposed but I'm only viewing on me phone.
Another stop to ISO 200 maybe but thats dependant on metering.

I'd start with the two obvious, was AFc selected? And where was the focus point in shot? Should be viewable in software if you've already taken it off the card.

I like to have it viewable in playback, it eliminates and gives a reason for the oof shots.
^^^^
This (y)

Sadly you can sharpen an out of focus photo. My starting settings for d kites would be 1/1000 sec or greater if the lights available, f8 for the increased DoF it gives (Red Kites are quite big birds and stopping down lenses are usually a little sharper), auto iso if that’s possible on your camera, +1 or +2 exposure compensation as you’re photographing against the sky and it will throw the cameras meter a little. AF needs to be in AF-C. I’ve always liked dingle point focus but a small group focus would be good too. Focus speed of the Nikon 70-300 will be a bit slower than a faster lrns but should still give you a few keepers. Birds in flight photography is something that you need to keep on doing as you will get better with practice.

Last edited:
I would appear to me that the camera has not locked on focus. If it was a hot sunny day I have experienced 'heat haze' interfering with AF so I now try and shoot early morning or late evening especially at this time of year. Can I ask what the lighting conditions and wind were like when you took this shot and what head you have on your tripod. IMHO speed and aperture settings are OK, I would compensate by +1.5 when shooting against the sky. More important (for me anyway) is to use the back focus button with AF-C and spot focus + spot exposure. Was you tripod head locked into position and VR turned OFF. I hope this helps with your next outing....

Back