Beginner Advice

Name
Darren Crosbie-Rowlands
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Im new to photography and have just bought myself a bridge camera.

Just looking for some general advice around getting the best out of my camera.

Can anyone help please help?

Hello Darren and welcome to TP.

First off, read the manual.

I suggest to begin with put the camera in AUTO mode and, as suggested above, take photos of lots of different subjects in different locations, lighting conditions. Many of the shots, perhaps most even, will be good. For the shots that did not come out the way you wanted try to work out why. If you can't, post the shot up here with the camera setting you used and someone will be able to help.

AUTO mode lets the camera decide which settings to use but if you want more control over what is going on have a look online for "The exposure triangle". There are lots of guides around, on this site for example and elsewhere, eg - http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm, but have a look at a few until you find one that suits you.

Dave

Hi Darren,

I started with a bridge camera( Nikon L830) and they're wonderfully versatile. I could just fit it in my jacket pocket and snap away when I was out for walks with the dog
I've got shots ranging from small insects on flowers ,shots of the moon with the craters visible, to shots of the dog playing in the water.
As mentioned in the posts above, try and work out what you don't like about the "bad" shots and what you would do different the next time.
Read up on here about improving your technique
Most importantly- go out,experiment and enjoy

Good luck and hope to see some examples soon

Iain

Hi guys,

Im new to photography and have just bought myself a bridge camera.

Just looking for some general advice around getting the best out of my camera.

Can anyone help please help?

My advice is...
Learn the basics of exposure, ISO, shutter speed and aperture.
Shoot raw and process for best effect on your pc.
Really look at what you're going to take a picture of and think about the composition.
Think about perspective and if you're not sure what this is read about it :D
Enjoy! :D

Reactions: nog
Good advice above :) in addition I'd suggest developing your own ideas of images you want to make. Look at others photos for inspiration, Pinterest can help. Then try and create the shot. And as others say understand exposure and your creative options, how your camera works and experiment with lots of pictures....I've been doubling the number of pictures I've taken the last few years 5k, 10k, 20k and now its coming together for me. Hope this helps.

Back