Advise on Sony Walk Around Lens !

Name
T
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I am hoping to get a Full Frame Sony lens for my current Sony mirroless a NEX5R and my future purchase of either A6600 or A7iii

After reading some reviews it seems the Sony 24-70 f4 ( SEL2470Z ) is not that sharp even though it is image stabilized.

What alternatives can I look in to as I like the compact size format factor of the Sony mirrorless

Also I would like to have image stabilisation as well.

Many thanks

Last edited:
A7III has IBIS.

How much are you willing to spend? The 24-105 G with built-in stabilisation is large but excellent. For a lot less there's the Tamron 28-70 f2.8 that is also very good but IIRC no stabilisation. Otherwise consider the 16-35 f4 (or the Tamron equivalent) - super wideangle on FF, usable walk-about lens on crop.

I think you need to decide whether you’re buying the crop or ff camera then choose a lens.

a6600 has ibis but I’m not sure why you would buy it instead of an a7iii. I can understand saving and going for the a6400 though.

Last edited:
Hi ancient_mariner,

I have just had a look at Sony 24-105 G and it is a fair amount of money and size !
For that amount and larger lens I would get the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, though the non stabalised might be a deal breaker.

The Sony SELP18105G E Mount APS-C 18-105 mm F4.0 Zoom G Lens is about the size of a 330ml pepsi / coke can and it has OSS.
Hopefully used price of this lens should be £400 area !
The down side for me is I can only use this lens on a APSC camera !

Last edited:
I think you need to decide whether you’re buying the crop or ff camera then choose a lens.

a6600 has ibis but I’m not sure why you would buy it instead of an a7iii. I can understand saving and going for the a6400 though.

I already have 3 lenses in the Sony APSC E mount format, 50mm f1.8 OSS, 18-55 f3.5-5.6 OSS, 55-210 4.5-6.3 OSS.

So if the get a FF Sharpe lens it will work on my NEX5R and A6600 when I get it. I would like to also get in the future a used A7iii when one appears at the right price for me.
As I also own canon EOS 7Dii and some reasonable good glass I can mount the canon glass vis MC-11 adapter on the Sony E cameras.
What I am after is a decent walk about small form factor lens for A6600 and or A7iii for days out, carry on luggage for cheap holidays away. hence why big new glass is not what I am looking for. As I have big glass in the form of my Canon L glass to use on shoots that require specific glass

I already have 3 lenses in the Sony APSC E mount format, 50mm f1.8 OSS, 18-55 f3.5-5.6 OSS, 55-210 4.5-6.3 OSS.

So if the get a FF Sharpe lens it will work on my NEX5R and A6600 when I get it. I would like to also get in the future a used A7iii when one appears at the right price for me.
As I also own canon EOS 7Dii and some reasonable good glass I can mount the canon glass vis MC-11 adapter on the Sony E cameras.
What I am after is a decent walk about small form factor lens for A6600 and or A7iii for days out, carry on luggage for cheap holidays away. hence why big new glass is not what I am looking for. As I have big glass in the form of my Canon L glass to use on shoots that require specific glass

TBH a walkabout lens for FF is NOT a walkabout lens for APS-C - the compromises are too great. Since you're invested in crop for Sony & plan to do more then I'd suggest something like the 16-50 - a step up from the 18-55. You could also consider a Sony Zeiss 16-80 + LA-EA4 adapter for the crop cameras that will let you adapt Minolta/Sony lenses to FF too. The 16-80 (24-120 equivalent) is available used for around £200-£250, and is close to prime sharpness in a compact package - it was my travel lens before I went FF.

When you move to FF trade gear for FF kit, & if you want small & light the buy Samyang f2.8/1.8 primes. ;)

Last edited:

I agree with Toni about APS-C / FF lenses, they just don't transfer over well IMO.

Whatever format you go for have you thought about going for a standard range f3.5-5.6 zoom and a f1.8 prime, 24, 28, 35 or 50mm or equivalent? Just those two lenses could cover most day out and holiday needs.

Back