Affinity 50% discount, 3 month trials, and paid work

I've just bought it mainly for focus stacking, it's an absolute bargain
I bought it awhile ago, when it first went "half price" It would have been rude not too TBH.
I still use CS5 for most editing, but Affinity blows the socks off CS5 for stacking, it has a handy little noise reduction tool also.

When discussing this in another thread, I just noticed the offer is still running, though it was supposed to end on the 20th May. Checked their Twitter and they've now extended the offer 'one last time' to 20th June.

View: https://BANNED/affinitybyserif/status/1263031590415974401

Ohh might have a look at this myself. Could be the opportunity to dust off this that I’ve never opened too and give it a read....IMG_7623.JPG

Sadly the future of Practical Photography is now in doubt:

'The music monthly Q is one of 10 magazines that could disappear from newsagents’ shelves as one of the UK’s biggest publishers considers the future of print titles as the coronavirus crisis hastens the shift of readers and advertisers online. The German-owned Bauer Media, which owns magazines in the UK including Grazia and Empire as well as the Kiss, Magic and Absolute radio networks, said that many already struggling magazines will not be sustainable after the pandemic passes.The publisher said that following a review of its portfolio it is considering closing, selling, merging or moving to digital-only format Q, Simply You, Your Horse, Planet Rock, Sea Angler, Mother & Baby, Golf World, Practical Photography, Car Mechanics and Modern Classics.'

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ine-in-doubt-as-coronavirus-crisis-hits-media

'The music monthly Q is one of 10 magazines that could disappear from newsagents’ shelves as one of the UK’s biggest publishers considers the future of print titles as the coronavirus crisis hastens the shift of readers and advertisers online. The German-owned Bauer Media, which owns magazines in the UK including Grazia and Empire as well as the Kiss, Magic and Absolute radio networks, said that many already struggling magazines will not be sustainable after the pandemic passes.The publisher said that following a review of its portfolio it is considering closing, selling, merging or moving to digital-only format Q, Simply You, Your Horse, Planet Rock, Sea Angler, Mother & Baby, Golf World, Practical Photography, Car Mechanics and Modern Classics.'

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ine-in-doubt-as-coronavirus-crisis-hits-media

I think there are many like me that do not like reading magazines etc. on line so I doubt if they will get my custom. It will be a shame as I like that mag.

Oh no! Although I’m probably one of those to blame as, although I love the idea of holding a magazine “in print” I do find it infinitely more easy to just simply download one and dip in and out when I want.

Oh no! Although I’m probably one of those to blame as, although I love the idea of holding a magazine “in print” I do find it infinitely more easy to just simply download one and dip in and out when I want.

The thing I most dislike is 'hypertext' in the magazines I've seen online. Now if the mags where exactly like a paper mag where you turn the pages that would work from me.

Maybe I should check them out as it is many years since I looked and I don't know if 'hypertext' is still 'the in thing'.

Last call on the Affinity 50% discount offer.

View: https://BANNED/affinitybyserif/status/1273568732703600642

Don't think I will buy Affinity, focus stacking is about all I would use it for and that would be once in a Blue moon.
Wasn't that impressed by its raw conversions, good offer, but not a bargain if it doesn't get used.

Nothing is a bargain if it doesn't get used! :)

I don't really use Affinity Photo as a raw converter, but as an alternative to Photoshop without a rental plan (I rarely used PS's raw converter either). It would be nice to have something affordable and with a perpetual licence in the old standalone Lightroom niche. Affinity have several times hinted they may one day make a DAM application. Capture One is very nice but far from cheap, though the free Express versions for Nikon, Fuji and Sony are surprisingly capable, complementing Affinity rather well, and the quality of the conversions is high.

I've been tempted, but I already use On1 Photoraw for all the things I might use Affinity for - is there a reason to have Affinity alongside On1?

I've been tempted, but I already use On1 Photoraw for all the things I might use Affinity for - is there a reason to have Affinity alongside On1?
I don't have On1 But I run affinity along side CS5
As before I use it for stacking and the noise reduction is better / more controllable than CS5,
as for the rest of the tools I don't think there is much in it, but photo shop is slightly more intuitive (IMO)
So if anyone is looking for a cheap substitute for photo shop, I'd say this is it.

On1 does stacking (but not averaging) layers, HDR, luminosity masking etc. I use it as a plugin for lightroom.

I originally bought Affinity simply as a cheap way to focus stack. I found the processing area confusing after many years of Lightroom and PS, I think I'm simply too old to re-learn other applications.
Hiowerver, I gave Zerene a trial run for stacking and after a while came away with the conclusion that it's superior to Affinity. I've bitten the bullet and bought a basic licence. I still run my macro images through both applications probably just to confirm my choice and I still think that Zerene is superior.

I don't have On1 But I run affinity along side CS5
As before I use it for stacking and the noise reduction is better / more controllable than CS5,
as for the rest of the tools I don't think there is much in it, but photo shop is slightly more intuitive (IMO)
So if anyone is looking for a cheap substitute for photo shop, I'd say this is it.
Hi what noise reduction settings do you use as a starting point for affinity, I have Googled but haven’t found anything
Agree with you on affinity it’s excellent though

Hi what noise reduction settings do you use as a starting point for affinity, I have Googled but haven’t found anything
Like most of my processing, its "free hand". Pete.
As you will have noticed you can split the image with a vertical line, into before and after,
The tool opens @ 100% for everything I just move the sliders down, using the split line as a guide until I'm happy with the result.

I found the processing area confusing after many years of Lightroom and PS
I use it as a plugin for lightroom.
Am I the only one that doesn't like Light room ?
I do have it and have tried to use it on may occasions I find it very confusing, I don't need it to catalog my images
And as far as I can see it doesn't / cant do anything better than CS5

I still think that Zerene is superior
I've never heard of that one, I'll take a look.

Last edited:
LR is (now) very intuitive and simple - I'm sure if I spent a year with another package then I'd feel similar about that.

I'm sure if I spent a year with another package then I'd feel similar about that.
I think that sums it up, spending some years with one programme, makes it a lot easier to use. As we get older, we become less inclined to learn a new "package"
Certainly these days, because of the way the more complicated they have become.

Last edited:
Like most of my processing, its "free hand". Pete.
As you will have noticed you can split the image with a vertical line, into before and after,
The tool opens @ 100% for everything I just move the sliders down, using the split line as a guide until I'm happy with the result.

Am I the only one that doesn't like Light room ?
I do have it and have tried to use it on may occasions I find it very confusing, I don't need it to catalog my images
And as far as I can see it doesn't / cant do anything better than CS5

I've never heard of that one, I'll take a look.

Thanks mate I didn’t realise that it was split screen I’ll have a look later
One thing I noticed is that affinity runs better on my laptop than photoshop did

One thing I noticed is that affinity runs better on my laptop than photoshop did
That I think is the main complaint about PS its very resource hungry.

Thanks mate I didn’t realise that it was split screen I’ll have a look later
No worries (y) oh and that center line is drag able

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like somebody at Affinity forgot to switch the offer off. Yesterday it was 'Offer ends today - no extensions!'. Still up at 10.20 AM today. Going, going...

Back