Affinity 50% discount, 3 month trials, and paid work

That’s brilliant thanks for sharing I’ve been trying to decide what editing program to get
I’ve retired now so can’t justify or afford Adobe CC and affinity looks really good

Its a very good program for the money, no doubt about it. However highlight recover needs some improvement.

I already have Photo but took them up on Publisher as I'm looking at producing some Zines. £23 is a bargain.
Thanks for sharing.

I've been using PS a few years now and since getting to grips with LR I find that can be easier & better than PS for a lot of adjustments. With other hobbies on the go at the same time I am finding it expensive paying monthly especially considering if I stop paying I have nothing to PP with.

I've spent 2 days playing with Affinity and a day of watching videos and it is amazing what it can do for £24. Some of the features are better or not in PS. I won't use PS for HDR as results are poor most time. Affinity & LR do a lot better job (for me anyway).

I am only 1 month through my 3 month free trial and am so close to buying Affinity (just in case it goes up in price, lol) It is more than good enough to last me a lifetime and if I consider an update worthwhile price-wise (half Adobe subs?) I'll consider that a bonus.

My only issues are that there is no built in DAM and the icon is PINK!

Rumour has it that the good people at Affinity are working on something similar to Adobe Bridge and/or Lightroom. If that's true, I'll be waving goodbye to Adobe.

The sooner they create a DAM the better and it would be good (for me especially) if they added the facility (codec?) to view CR3 in the FILE OPEN box as I have to use Faststone Viewer to see CR3 files and drag & drop from there to Affinity although the same is true with PS but bridge does have a built in viewer (but I don't use bridge) as does LR (which I now use).

You star Retune:giggle: I'm still on Elements 2008 and have wanted to ask if it was worth buying the latest Elements. I've been playing with the free trial of Affinity and watching a
few videos for the past hour and I'm well impressed. It even has the Pen Tool:banana:

You star Retune:giggle: I'm still on Elements 2008 and have wanted to ask if it was worth buying the latest Elements. I've been playing with the free trial of Affinity and watching a
few videos for the past hour and I'm well impressed. It even has the Pen Tool:banana:

I've been playing with Affinity for about 6 weeks and spent the best part of the last 3 days watching video tutorials and there are things in Affinity I've not seen in PS, especially the live filter and live adjustment layers. I have just bought it tonight and will cancel adobe subscription when the time comes.

I've been playing with Affinity for about 6 weeks and spent the best part of the last 3 days watching video tutorials and there are things in Affinity I've not seen in PS, especially the live filter and live adjustment layers. I have just bought it tonight and will cancel adobe subscription when the time comes.

I think it's time to delete Elements. I upgraded to Windows 10 back in January, almost killed my old laptop even after an upgrade in ram to 8GB. Elements still runs very slowly and is for ever buffering. Affinity ran so much smoother this evening. Just at a glance I can see many of the tools that look familiar. I only ever had chance to play with the Pen Tool once a few years back,
and I put a glowing wrap if that's the correct term around a bottle of Cif...Nothing too exciting but I only an hour on it:giggle: It's lovely layout Affinity, can't wait for the camera to arrive this week so I can really have a play....

CIF Glow MS.jpg

I used affinity for this 30 second, 30 pics, focus stack moon shot about 3 nights ago. Quite happy with result and using Affinity to stack them.

If you look closely, you can count the bursts from the stars, surprised they move so quick. 1st time at this game due to lockdown.

Cheers, Dougie.
MoonStack.jpg

One issue I have with Affinity Photo is the fact that, unlike PS, there is no Destructive Cropping (delete cropped pixels) in affinity. They only have non-Destructive Cropping meaning if you only want 25% of that actual photo taken (ie moon shot where the moon does not fill enough of the screen) the unwanted data remains. There is a way round this but you have to do it every time you want destructive cropping.

Email from Affinity.

Four weeks ago, as a way to support the creative community amid COVID-19, we made a 90-day free trial available for the Mac and Windows versions of the whole Affinity suite while also cutting the price of all of our apps, including iPad versions, by 50%.
We originally planned to make the free trial and 50% discount available until 20 April, but because of the positive response we’ve received and since we’re still seeing so many people sign up to the trial, we’ve decided to extend the offer period for another month.
So, if you haven’t signed up for your 90-day free trial or purchased the apps for half price yet, you’ll have until 20 May to do so.

More good news Luminar 3 (similar to Lightroom) is free.

@imattersuk

I have just downloaded & installed Luminar 3 free version and it is more like Lightroom than Photoshop. It seems like it is a free taster for the upgraded Luminar 4 which is available.

I think Affinity is more of a photoshop/lightroom combination editor and is better/easier (for me) to use than Luminar 3 but that said Luminar 3 is good and powerful. It has the advantage (again for me) in that it will display thumbs of all my files (CR3 and PSD included) in the same way as lightroom does (which Affinity doesn't, although it opens and then displays them in the program).

Luminar 3 will also open explorer with the specific file highlighted to drag & drop in to Affinity making that much easier for me (explorer will not display thumbs of CR3 or PSD or I can just do some adjustments in Luminar 3 if I don't need the extra power/ease of Affinity.

For £25 ish for Affinity and Luminar 3 free I have as much if not more than I need or had with LR&PS which costs £10 a month forever and it would never be mine.

I will definitely be cancelling my Adobe subscription in July when the year is up.

More good news Luminar 3 (similar to Lightroom) is free.

@imattersuk

I have just downloaded & installed Luminar 3 free version and it is more like Lightroom than Photoshop. It seems like it is a free taster for the upgraded Luminar 4 which is available.

I think Affinity is more of a photoshop/lightroom combination editor and is better/easier (for me) to use than Luminar 3 but that said Luminar 3 is good and powerful. It has the advantage (again for me) in that it will display thumbs of all my files (CR3 and PSD included) in the same way as lightroom does (which Affinity doesn't, although it opens and then displays them in the program).

Luminar 3 will also open explorer with the specific file highlighted to drag & drop in to Affinity making that much easier for me (explorer will not display thumbs of CR3 or PSD or I can just do some adjustments in Luminar 3 if I don't need the extra power/ease of Affinity.

For £25 ish for Affinity and Luminar 3 free I have as much if not more than I need or had with LR&PS which costs £10 a month forever and it would never be mine.

I will definitely be cancelling my Adobe subscription in July when the year is up.
I'm on the Luminar affiliate programme but honestly can't recommend it, way too power hungry with little upside. I have a fairly new iMac with 32Gb RAM and can have Photoshop, Acrobat and Capture One all running at the same time with no issues, Luminar on it's own grinds everything to a halt.

As for Affinity I wan't aware that it's destructive RAW development so that rules it out for me.

Capture One free to process RAW then Photoshop to do any further editing is my preferred combo but thanks for posting the links.

Last edited:
I'm on the Luminar affiliate programme but honestly can't recommend it, way too power hungry with little upside. I have a fairly new iMac with 32Gb RAM and can have Photoshop, Acrobat and Capture One all running at the same time with no issues, Luminar on it's own grinds everything to a halt.

As for Affinity I wan't aware that it's destructive RAW development so that rules it out for me.

Capture One free to process RAW then Photoshop to do any further editing is my preferred combo but thanks for posting the links.

Affinity is non-instructive whether RAW or another format (inc. jpg etc.) Even the crop is none distructive and while that is a good thing most of the time I sometimes want destructive cropping. Affinity has live filters that make it less destructive than PS and LR.

@imattersuk

I'm using a fairly old desktop (i5-6400 maybe series 3 or 4 @ 2.7 gig, 16 gig on windows 10) up to now the only speed issue is creating the initial batch of thumbs for 5.5k files. Other than that it's about the same or faster than LR.

Affinity live filters means that many of the adjustments can be edited even after save & close and reopening another day. If you add and image (6000x4000 px) and transform down to a 600x400 document then later realise you need it 6000x4000 all you do is transform it back up. The images are not rasterized unless you choose to and it is the rasterizing that is distructive on that layer.

Now I have had a longer try think I will get it too for the focus stacking facility
Not so keen on the results of its raw conversions, much prefer other software for that

Now I have had a longer try think I will get it too for the focus stacking facility
Not so keen on the results of its raw conversions, much prefer other software for that

have you tried it or compared it against others?

have you tried it or compared it against others?
I have compared Affinity to Photoshop and Lightroom Classic. Used PS for almost 4 years now and LS classic for a few months.

PS is good for stacking LR makes basic adjustments easier than PS but PS is better for more advanced editing.
Affinity is more like a combined PS & LR with extras thrown in so everything is done without jumping between programs although Affinity does not display a library in the way LR does, you need to place or drag & drop images as in PS. For that reason I also use Luminar 3 (it is FREE lol) and has the library facility of LR and most of the other LR adjustment features of LR with the added bonus (for me) in that it when I find a file I want to work with It will open explorer with the file highlighted just to drag & drop in to Affinity.

Affinity handles HDR & panorama better than PS and it's hard to say which is better (PS or Affinity) for stacking but I feel that Affinity has a slight edge on PS

I'll be cancelling my Adobe Subscription soon.

PS Edited to remove my mistake in saying LR can focus stack.

Last edited:
I have compared Affinity to Photoshop and Lightroom Classic. Used PS for almost 4 years now and LS classic for a few months.

Both PS & LS are good for stacking although I do find PS better than LR. LR makes basic adjustments easier than PS but PS is better for more advanced editing.
Affinity is more like a combined PS & LR with extras thrown in so everything is done without jumping between programs although Affinity does not display a library in the way LR does, you need to place or drag & drop images as in PS. For that reason I also use Luminar 3 (it is FREE lol) and has the library facility of LR and most of the other LR adjustment features of LR with the added bonus (for me) in that it when I find a file I want to work with It will open explorer with the file highlighted just to drag & drop in to Affinity.

Affinity handles HDR & panorama better than PS and it's hard to say which is better (PS, LR or Affinity) for stacking but I feel that Affinity has a slight edge on the other 2.

I'll be cancelling my Adobe Subscription soon.

Didn't think LR had focus stacking? :oops: :$
I only see HDR and panorama merge features.

Silkypix now has a composite feature in its latest iteration, Studio Pro 10.
Worked very well, only does raw files which is fine because my Panasonic G90 does jpeg in-camera
Got it on trial, cheap upgrade offer as I already have Pro 9, might go for that instead

So my main issue with Affinity now is that its not platform agnostic. I will have to buy two licences if I want to use it on both windows and mac. That really sucks!

So my main issue with Affinity now is that its not platform agnostic. I will have to buy two licences if I want to use it on both windows and mac. That really sucks!
But at the offer price of £23.99 per licence without an installation limit on either platform...

But at the offer price of £23.99 per licence without an installation limit on either platform...

less bothered about the installation limit tbh. I swap back and forth between OSX and windows. Generally speaking this locks me into one platform unless I buy both licences which is what I'd have to do now.

Back